Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    Default Lunardi Braketology 2/16

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology

    #7 Minnesota in the west vs. #10 Cal - Winner gets UNC
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedave23 View Post
    I don't think I've ever read anything on gopher hole more spot on than these sentences. Ever.


  2. #2

    Default

    Don't look now, but Louisville is also a 2 seed... Wouldn't that be fun!
    Final Four in 2017-2018.

  3. #3

    Default

    www.Bracketmatrix.com has had the Gophers listed as a consensus #7 seed for at least a week I believe. Started out as the 4th of the 7 seeds with NW being the 1st of the #8 seeds. NW jumped up to a #7 after their big win this week. Minnesota is still in that 4th #7 seed spot with NW in the 3rd spot among #7 seeds.

  4. #4

    Default

    Would like like for us to climb up to a 6 seed if we could, but we need to win a majority of the remaining games.

    The ol' 6 vs 3 matchup is better than 7 vs 2 should we win the first round.

  5. Default

    Would be awesome for me if the Gophers snag that Orlando spot

  6. #6

    Default

    Don't sleep on the Bucknell.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 37score View Post
    Would like like for us to climb up to a 6 seed if we could, but we need to win a majority of the remaining games.

    The ol' 6 vs 3 matchup is better than 7 vs 2 should we win the first round.
    I agree with you 100% 37score. In fact, I'd MUCH rather be a #6 seed than a #5 seed. Nobody really cares if you win your 1st round game, not in the long run. The Sweet 16 is the minimum that a team needs to get to in order to be considered any kind of a success, but a #4 or #5 seed has to beat a #1 seed just to get to the Sweet 16. Not an easy task. #1 seeds NEVER lose their first round games. But #3 seeds DO sometimes lose their 1st round matchups, and if not their first round game, then they more often lose their 2nd round matchup.


    Yeah, the #6 seed, in a season like this one, has to be seen as the ultimate goal. Although I'd be ok with our winning our next 8 or 9 games in a row and getting a #3 seed, lol.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    2,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered User View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology

    #7 Minnesota in the west vs. #10 Cal - Winner gets UNC
    Would love a crack at any blue blood school if we got past the first round.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillmeNow View Post
    I agree with you 100% 37score. In fact, I'd MUCH rather be a #6 seed than a #5 seed. Nobody really cares if you win your 1st round game, not in the long run. The Sweet 16 is the minimum that a team needs to get to in order to be considered any kind of a success, but a #4 or #5 seed has to beat a #1 seed just to get to the Sweet 16. Not an easy task. #1 seeds NEVER lose their first round games. But #3 seeds DO sometimes lose their 1st round matchups, and if not their first round game, then they more often lose their 2nd round matchup.


    Yeah, the #6 seed, in a season like this one, has to be seen as the ultimate goal. Although I'd be ok with our winning our next 8 or 9 games in a row and getting a #3 seed, lol.
    Incorrect. A #5 seed plays a #12 seed in the round of 64. If chalk holds, the #5 plays the #4 in the round of 32. At that point, in the round of 16, that #5 seed would have the opportunity to play the #1 seed. So your #5 seed would need to beat the #1 seed in order to reach the Elite Eight.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    Incorrect. A #5 seed plays a #12 seed in the round of 64. If chalk holds, the #5 plays the #4 in the round of 32. At that point, in the round of 16, that #5 seed would have the opportunity to play the #1 seed. So your #5 seed would need to beat the #1 seed in order to reach the Elite Eight.
    Correct.
    Being a 5 seed seems to be the worst recently since the 12 vs 5 matchup always seems to be problematic for at least a couple teams.

    I think the 5 seed is kind of a bad spot to be. Usually it's a team that might be good or might be inconsistent, or else they were highly rated and sliding. Perhap the case of teams with a key injured player or teams that got "figured out" some.

  11. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    Incorrect. A #5 seed plays a #12 seed in the round of 64. If chalk holds, the #5 plays the #4 in the round of 32. At that point, in the round of 16, that #5 seed would have the opportunity to play the #1 seed. So your #5 seed would need to beat the #1 seed in order to reach the Elite Eight.

    You are so right, I'm embarrassed that I was so lazy-brained while posting that, lol. But that doesn't change my belief that if you can't be a Top 3 seed, then being a #6 seed gives a team the best chance of making a decent run in the tourney.

  12. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillmeNow View Post
    You are so right, I'm embarrassed that I was so lazy-brained while posting that, lol. But that doesn't change my belief that if you can't be a Top 3 seed, then being a #6 seed gives a team the best chance of making a decent run in the tourney.
    I'd pick #4. You get the winner of the 5 vs. 12 game which seem to be the 12 many times lately. The #6 has to play the #3.

    Plus aren't you guaranteed not to have a "home court disadvantage" if you're a #4 seed?
    Last edited by mnsportsgeek; 02-17-2017 at 09:39 AM.

  13. #13

    Default

    We are currently a 6 seed in KenPom on CBS Bracketology. Playing in the south vs the winner of #11 Wake vs #11 Providence. If we won, would (most likely) play Florida.

    I would take that outcome!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mnsportsgeek View Post
    I'd pick #4. You get the winner of the 5 vs. 12 game which seem to be the 12 many times lately. The #6 has to play the #3.

    Plus aren't you guaranteed not to have a "home court disadvantage" if you're a #4 seed?

    Basically the goal is to avoid the impossible to beat teams as long as possible.


    Here's a link of records vs various seeds.

    http://mcubed.net/ncaab/seeds.shtml

    Six seed is a great spot to be. Better winning percentage than a #5.

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JZsportswhiz View Post
    Would be awesome for me if the Gophers snag that Orlando spot
    I'm with you on this one.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •