Zone Defense.

balds

Reaction score
Why don't we ever play a zone D? Should we? Could we, effectively?

Why don't we ever play a zone D? Should we? Could we, effectively?

I think this is a good question, but considering KenPom has our Adj Defense as the 14th best in the country I'm not sure we should change too much.

We don't have to change out....

I think this is a good question, but considering KenPom has our Adj Defense as the 14th best in the country I'm not sure we should change too much.

identity...too change it up a little bit defensively. We have the athletes, depth and shot blockers at the rear to trap, or press, or double the ball when the point turns his back. The other team has a preparation advantage if they always know what we are going to do.

identity...too change it up a little bit defensively. We have the athletes, depth and shot blockers at the rear to trap, or press, or double the ball when the point turns his back. The other team has a preparation advantage if they always know what we are going to do.

There is no way to effectively prepare for an effective man-to-man defense. I really like that it is the staple and foundation of what we are doing. There is always a time and place to change it up, but only if you can effectively press. Our defensive metrics by any analysis have been excellent this year and I wouldn't change a thing. We are top 20 in overall defensive efficiency and opponents floor %. Please don't change anything.

There is no way to effectively prepare for an effective man-to-man defense. I really like that it is the staple and foundation of what we are doing. There is always a time and place to change it up, but only if you can effectively press. Our defensive metrics by any analysis have been excellent this year and I wouldn't change a thing. We are top 20 in overall defensive efficiency and opponents floor %. Please don't change anything.
I'd concur. Our length messes with shooters and passing lanes. Our lack of depth in bulk makes us vulnerable in the post. Curry, Konate and Murphy are undersized and/or lack strength. Mich St, Purdue, Wiscy and Indy exposed us there, not to mention Rutgers and PSU, as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd love to see the Gophers play a zone 5-6 possessions per game. Especially with Coffey, Curry and Lynch on the floor. A lot of length and athleticism to challenge corner 3s. Man to man defense has been good/great most of the year but nice to mix it up. Make a team practice against a 1-3-1 or 2-3 knowing they will see it a bit, but don't rely on it for long stretches.

Zone is for elementary school. Syracuse sucks! [emoji41]

I'd love to see the Gophers play a zone 5-6 possessions per game. Especially with Coffey, Curry and Lynch on the floor. A lot of length and athleticism to challenge corner 3s. Man to man defense has been good/great most of the year but nice to mix it up. Make a team practice against a 1-3-1 or 2-3 knowing they will see it a bit, but don't rely on it for long stretches.

The 2-3 zone can be a real bitch at defending the 3 if you have slow big men.

I'd like to see the Gophers try a 3-2 match up zone with Coffey on the top, Curry and Konate/Murphy underneath. McBrayer and Mason on the wings. This would put a lot of pressure on the other team's PG and may improve our 3 pt defense.

They are doing pretty well with the status quo though.

This is almost comical. How about with effective offense. Such as Wisconsin played with Happ? To change the look occasionally puts more pressure on the offense to adjust.
We are not getting enough easy baskets out of our athleticism. Too many of our home games are coming down to the wire. Our defense is good but I think could be better with more situational aggresivness

Pass and screen away, pass and screen away

I would have loved to have seen something different at least tried down the stretch against Wisconsin and Maryland. Haap/Hayes repeatedly in the post and Melo repeatedly driving and dishing was exhausting to watch.

Exactly!

I would have loved to have seen something different at least tried down the stretch against Wisconsin and Maryland. Haap/Hayes repeatedly in the post and Melo repeatedly driving and dishing was exhausting to watch.

When the other team is cutting you up with their execution....you've got to make some adjustments. We play good defense, but not enough ball pressure.....and lord...we have to double when the other team is winning the match up.....i.e. Melo and Happ. h

This is almost comical. How about with effective offense. Such as Wisconsin played with Happ? To change the look occasionally puts more pressure on the offense to adjust.
We are not getting enough easy baskets out of our athleticism. Too many of our home games are coming down to the wire. Our defense is good but I think could be better with more situational aggresivness

LOL. It's really not comical at all. We have the athletes and the length, combined with shot blocking, all of which gets largely negated when you play zone. Teams have all fallen in love with the 3 because of the advent of advanced analytics and just general trends over the past 2 decades. When most/all offenses revolve largely around the ability to hit the 3, zone is the best way to make an offense work. Even primary ball screen related offenses rely on wing shooters for a growing percentage of their points. We want teams to get into the lane where our big guys and length can change the game in other ways. That's what I mean by not being able to prepare for an effective man-to-man defense.

There's a difference between ineffective execution of man-to-man (like in the 2nd half of the Indiana game), and it not being an effective strategy. It's the right thing for this team and frankly the improvements in this area this year should be praised. If we go zone we take Lynch entirely out of the game on the end of the court where he's most effective (on defense). Teams absolutely cannot prepare for someone like that if their found standing next to him in the lane. Because of him the perimeter defenders can pressure and the weak side doesn't need to collapse as hard or as diligently.

They finally did it (for three possessions). Did give up a three, but also had a nice possession where they forced a brick up against the shot clock. Most importantly, It gave Maryland something to think about and broke their rhythm (which they were certainly in). I guarantee they addressed what to do against the zone during that TV timeout, only to have us come back in man to man. Kudos.

They finally did it (for three possessions). Did give up a three, but also had a nice possession where they forced a brick up against the shot clock. Most importantly, It gave Maryland something to think about and broke their rhythm (which they were certainly in). I guarantee they addressed what to do against the zone during that TV timeout, only to have us come back in man to man. Kudos.

Liked seeing the zone last night not because I think we need to play it more but because it made Maryland do something other than pick and role and get dunks. Way to switch things up Pitino!

Man we need to work....

Liked seeing the zone last night not because I think we need to play it more but because it made Maryland do something other than pick and role and get dunks. Way to switch things up Pitino!

our man to man mightily....and I don't care what the analytics say. We must have given up 20 at the rim field goals to Maryland last night.

They didn't show the zone for long, but it did the trick in making the Terps adjust.

I believe I read somewhere that Pitino was planning on playing some zone against them because they run good sets out of timeouts. So the zone was to disrupt the the set plays out of breaks. Hope they continue to play more of it something like 5 or 6 possessions a game.

Yes they did go to a zone for a bit.. Maybe like Xavier, they could put Amir at the top of a 1-3-1 zone.. like Xavier does with JP .. but that might expend too much energy from Amir.. Not sure it's worth it at this point of the season.

Top Bottom