When Mason went past Cream and was by the bench...what did he say?

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Not saying that he said anything at all. The question is did he say anything. Cream had a funny expression on his face like what is happening now.

Not saying that he said anything at all. The question is did he say anything. Cream had a funny expression on his face like what is happening now.

At first it certainly looked like he was taunting the IU bench, but when I went back and watched I think he was just staring up at our fans and didn't appear to say much of anything.

Crean just seemed to point his thumb backwards to try to draw some attention to it, being the dingus that he is.

At first it certainly looked like he was taunting the IU bench, but when I went back and watched I think he was just staring up at our fans and didn't appear to say much of anything.

Crean just seemed to point his thumb backwards to try to draw some attention to it, being the dingus that he is.

I was sitting 10 rows behind IU's bench. From what I could tell Mason walked close to Crean staring at the crowd. Tom definitely turned his head to Mason and was saying something

I don't think Mason said a word...or at lease not from what I could see.

On a similar note, I really wish Mason would've ran into Crean when Mason had the ball and Crean was acting as a 6th defender standing in the middle of the court.

I was sitting 10 rows behind IU's bench. From what I could tell Mason walked close to Crean staring at the crowd. Tom definitely turned his head to Mason and was saying something

On a similar note, I really wish Mason would've ran into Crean when Mason had the ball and Crean was acting as a 6th defender standing in the middle of the court.

I can confirm. I was sitting 2 rows back by the bench. Crean said something along the lines of "Get back on the ****ing court".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have paid extra money to see that happen. And not just a little; run the mother****** over. If the officials won't call it, resort to vigilante justice.

If that happens isn't it an automatic technical on the coach?

I can confirm. I was sitting 2 rows back by the bench. Crean said something along the lines of "Get back on the ****ing court".

Mason should have responded with "as soon as you get off the ****ing court"

Mason should have responded with "as soon as you get off the ****ing court"

I certainly did! Mason said nothing the whole time but we let Crean hear about it. When the team walked back to the locker room at half and after the game, we were yelling at Crean and he stared us down for a solid 10 seconds. It honestly felt like we got in his head. First time I can say that about a coach.

My buds and I got into Doug Woog's head in college. We were playing Wisconsin or UND and he was sitting Corey Millen for breaking team rules, we were all over him to put him in the game. I got a talking to by some policemen that we should stop thanks to the Wooger!

I think Crean took issue with Mason lingering some by the Indiana bench which he absolutely did. I can't believe Crean didn't get in trouble at all for how far out on the court he was at times when the ball was on that half of the court. Some places have a really narrow bench area because of where the players sit. Because of the raised floor that is not the case at Williams and there really is no reason for the coach to even need to be on the court.

Pitino gets a T for yelling at his own guy (too funny that the ref thought he was yelling at him), Crean is standing on the court while the action is in their end and the ref does nothing. Gotta love it.

I wish something like this would have happened in our game...

I was sitting across from the Indiana bench and could tell Crean was pissed about something. However, knowing the baby and sore loser he is (i.e. blow by handshakes after losses) I would think it is very likely Mason didn't say anything and Crean was just looking for something to be pissed about. So glad we beat him he is the absolute worst.

I dislike Crean as much as the next guy, but I do not want to see my players strutting past him - almost bumping him after the whistle - as they showboat or whatever. I thought the combustible Crean did an amazing job to contain himself during Mason's antics. You simply do not take steps towards an opposing coach, it's garbage. I am also embarrassed by so much of the crap people (fans) yell at coaches like Crean... it lowers the bar of decency.

I dislike Crean as much as the next guy, but I do not want to see my players strutting past him - almost bumping him after the whistle - as they showboat or whatever. I thought the combustible Crean did an amazing job to contain himself during Mason's antics. You simply do not take steps towards an opposing coach, it's garbage. I am also embarrassed by so much of the crap people (fans) yell at coaches like Crean... it lowers the bar of decency.

Yelling "get back on the f***ing court" is an amazing job of containing oneself from Mason's "antics" of staring at the home crowd?

I think it was a great move by Mason if he was pointing out that if you can stand on the court where I play, I can stand by your bench where you coach...No idea if that was Masons intent, but that's kind of what I thought of right away.

Definition of curmudgeon
1. archaic : miser
2. a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

Examples of curmudgeon in a sentence
At his quirky best, the elder Cooper is a curmudgeon right out of central casting, grumpy old man meets borscht-belt crank. He really does fiddle with his hearing aid and yell, “What? I can't hear you,” only to chide you afterward that there's no need to shout. —Norah Vincent, New York Times Book Review, 19 Feb. 2006

Yelling "get back on the f***ing court" is an amazing job of containing oneself from Mason's "antics" of staring at the home crowd?

Yes, you understood me correctly. If I were coach Pitino then Nate Mason would be running man-makers to the point of puking at this afternoon's practice. The players should not be given the license to act in that fashion. Do you let your kids jaw-jack the neighbor guy who's a little nutty? Great parenting. Do you condone the Anaheim Duck who slashed the linesman for a bad puck drop? What the hell, let's let the players go freakin' crazy and make all of this less about the sport and more about the SHOW! Give me a break.

Yes, you understood me correctly. If I were coach Pitino then Nate Mason would be running man-makers to the point of puking at this afternoon's practice. The players should not be given the license to act in that fashion. Do you let your kids jaw-jack the neighbor guy who's a little nutty? Great parenting. Do you condone the Anaheim Duck who slashed the linesman for a bad puck drop? What the hell, let's let the players go freakin' crazy and make all of this less about the sport and more about the SHOW! Give me a break.

Think you might be blowing this one a little out of proportion. It is not like Mason ran over to the Indiana bench and was shouting profanities at them. He may have been showboating a little but it wasn't like he was making a fool of himself or trying to start a fight. It was a 2-3 second thing, maybe a little unnecessary on Mason't part but nothing that would require extra discipline or is anything comparable to your hockey example.

Tempest in a teapot.
Crean is veering toward the edge of control and accidentally got creamed by a player last week because he got in the way. No other coach hangs out as much in the playing space as he does. Mason is a man of few if any words. If Crean was in his way and he gave him a good long look, that would be about fitting and unworthy of disciplinary action.
Perhaps it was out of care and concern for Crean's wellbeing? :rolleyes:

IF that is what happened. Doesn't sound like there is really anything to see here.

These would be good comparisons if Mason had gotten in Crean's face or even pushed him. But that didn't happen.

I saw that live. Mason definitely put his jersey over his mouth to cover the fact that he was saying something to the Indiana bench. We know he likes to talk a little smack. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that sort of thing, but he had such a great game it seems somewhat churlish to deny him a little enjoyment of it.

You're that guy that all the kids in the neighborhood hate because you always go bonkers when someone accidentally throws/kicks/hits a ball in your yard...

And if you were coach, Nate Mason (and any other decent player in the country) would never come to Minnesota in the first place... Kid is one of the the best guards in the Big Ten, dropped 30 points last night & was sick of Crean being obnoxious and standing in the middle of the court mid-play so he gave him a dose of his own medicine. With the exception of the game winning shot by Springs, Mason walking over to the Indiana bench was my favorite moment of the night...

Go to bed Metro, it's past your bed time.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You're that guy that all the kids in the neighborhood hate because you always go bonkers when someone accidentally throws/kicks/hits a ball in your yard...

Go to bed Metro, it's past your bed time.

Wrong. I'm the parent who doesn't allow his kids to berate the nutty neighbor who loses his mind when my kids' ball goes into his yard. The nutty neighbor and I (parent-to-parent/coach-to-coach) can hash it out, but my kids/players don't have the license to engage the nutjob. I hope this clears it up for you.

Wrong. I'm the parent who doesn't allow his kids to berate the nutty neighbor who loses his mind when my kids' ball goes into his yard. The nutty neighbor and I (parent-to-parent/coach-to-coach) can hash it out, but my kids/players don't have the license to engage the nutjob. I hope this clears it up for you.

How old are your kids now? Just curious, because there's no way you're under the age of 90.

And there's the video from Unregistered User's post: Mason consciously chooses to continue sauntering past Crean to the IU bench, then he says something through the jersey, then he circles back around Crean in smug-ass fashion. Not a fan of those antics. He should have fist pumped and demonstrated a primal scream of joy where he was at, not approached Crean/IU bench. Period.

You sound fun

How old are your kids now? Just curious, because there's no way you're under the age of 90.

My kids are age 15, I'm 47, and none of that is relevant, as you know... but I've enjoyed our chat. Have a good one, stay classy, my friend.

And there's the video from Unregistered User's post: Mason consciously chooses to continue sauntering past Crean to the IU bench, then he says something through the jersey, then he circles back around Crean in smug-ass fashion. Not a fan of those antics. He should have fist pumped and demonstrated a primal scream of joy where he was at, not approached Crean/IU bench. Period.

Lol. You have no idea what he said, if anything. You're making way too big of a deal out of what happened. It was nothing. Get over it.

Good Game, Go Gophers....people here in Indy are waiting for TC to get fired too. Big Gophers fan here in Indy, so i got to stick it to all the I-Who guys at work.

Top Bottom