2017 College Basketball Coaching Hiring and Firing Thread

You're probably right in the traditional sense of "good/better" job, but I think the definition is changing on what that is for coaches. The Yahoo article on Monson and Gonzaga pointed that out. The fact that guys like Marshall, Few and others succeed and appear happy at places that aren't on the list indicates coaches are refining and defining for themselves what good jobs are. That shift makes it harder for middling big conference teams to hire coaches. I think there are a lot of really good coaches, some mentioned in this thread, who would not consider Indiana a good job because of all the headaches that come with it.

Agree with most of this. I think this is a large part of the reason for some of the big dollar contracts. Giving a guy a raise to take the job isn't enough anymore. You really have to blow him away with the dollar and year commitment if you want one of these well-established mid-major guys.

Also think the reason Marshall has stayed put can be boiled down to 2 things...his contract and his personality. He's making over $3M a year which is more than most power conference coaches. A middling power conference team would probably have to approach the $4M a year range to get him. And most middling power conference teams aren't willing to pay that for a basketball coach. That's even a lot of money for schools that really care about basketball. Marshall is also very strong-minded which can be an issue for ADs who aren't willing to fully turn over the reins and give the coach whatever he wants.

per USA Today:

Anthony Grant is returning to the Atlantic 10 as the basketball coach at Dayton.

The school announced Thursday the hiring of Grant, who previously coached at Virginia Commonwealth and Alabama. He played in college at Dayton from 1983-87 and was part of two NCAA tournament teams during his career.

"I am honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Dayton," Grant said in a statement. "It's a great responsibility to take over at an institution that is so well-respected. Anyone you talk to in college basketball would say our program is a successful one, but the potential is here for so much more."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...thony-grant-dayton-basketball-coach/99822000/

Go Gophers!!

14 years with Roy and CB finally has a head job:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Youngstown State made it official earlier this week naming Jerrod Calhoun who took D2 Fairmont State to the National Championship game this past season. Impressive hire that has gotten a decent amount of local media attention in Northeast Ohio. Hoping to see my backyard Penguins compete in the Horizon League in coming years.

Craig Neal out at New Mexico. Boatload of transfers this week. Looks like a big rebuilding job.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Youngstown State made it official earlier this week naming Jerrod Calhoun who took D2 Fairmont State to the National Championship game this past season. Impressive hire that has gotten a decent amount of local media attention in Northeast Ohio. Hoping to see my backyard Penguins compete in the Horizon League in coming years.
Any relation to Jim Calhoun?

Top Bottom