2017 College Basketball Coaching Hiring and Firing Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
It looks like we have the first major program getting a jump start.

Sporting News: N.C. State reaching out to candidates to replace Mark Gottfried as coach

North Carolina State is in the process of searching for a replacement for head men's basketball coach Mark Gottfried, who is near the completion of his sixth season in charge of the Wolfpack.

A source close to the process told Sporting News the university has begun to reach out to gauge the interest of potential candidates, including at least one such contact initiated Tuesday.

Mark Armstrong of Raleigh TV station WTVD reported Monday that N.C. State has made the decision to remove Gottfried at the end of the season. University officials were considering an immediate dismissal following an embarrassing loss Saturday at Wake Forest, but determined that would not be the best course to follow.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ll-ncaa-tournament/1dgj2ajupv1gf1chki9wnoq4nf

Go Gophers!!

2017 Coaches Carousel

Being reported that NC State is making a move:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gottfried fired, but staying on to coach through the end of the season. Awkward...

Gottfried - great recruiter, mediocre coach.

4 out of his last 5 recruiting classes were ranked in the Top 20 by 247sports. The freshmen class this year was ranked #4 in the nation.

I've never liked the idea of hiring a coach who was previously fired from another high major program for lack of success.

Connecting A and C here a little but apparently Tom Crean is a guy NC State might pursue.

Would that be a good hire for them? Feel like Crean is a hard coach to guage. He's very good with veteran talent but it seems like his teams go through massive peaks and valleys because his systems are so effing complex. He's also a colossal turd so I kind of like him being in the Big 10 because it's fun to hate clown coaches. Gard, Collins a bunch of other guys are just guys. Don't love them or hate them. Crean is a clown.

per CBS:

Austin Peay head coach Dave Loos is stepping away after 27 seasons, the school announced Thursday. He will hold a formal news conference Monday to announce his retirement.

During Loos’ tenure, the Governors went to the NCAA Tournament times and made two appearances in the NIT, one in the CBI and one in the CIT. Austin Peay most recently made the NCAA Tournament last year before falling to Kansas in the first round.

Loos missed four games earlier this season while he underwent chemotherapy for a cancerous lymph node in his colon, but later returned to the team and won his 500th game in February. Known as the Dean of the Ohio Valley Conference, he walks away as the all-time winningest coach in the conference, having won five OVC Coach of the Year honors and nine conference titles along the way.

The Governors went 11-19 (7-9 OVC) this season and failed to qualify for the conference tournament after finishing below .500 for the fifth time in the past six seasons.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ay-coach-dave-loos-retiring-after-27-seasons/

Go Gophers!!

The first big opening of the year.

CBS: Missouri forces Kim Anderson to resign after three straight losing seasons

Missouri coach Kim Anderson has been forced to resign after three seasons at his alma mater, a source told CBS Sports on Sunday afternoon.
The school subsequently confirmed the news.

“This decision has been very difficult for me personally because of the tremendous respect I have for Kim,” Missouri athletic director Jim Sterk said. “I know how hard he and his staff have worked to turn the program around over the last three years. However, the lack of on-court success has resulted in a significant drop in interest surrounding our program, and we could not afford for that to continue another year.”

Anderson went 9-23 in his first season at Missouri, 10-21 in his second and is 7-23 in his third. He’s 8-46 in SEC games in three years. Missouri hired Anderson in April 2014 despite the fact that Ben Howland was interested in the job.

California coach Cuonzo Martin is expected to be among the top candidates to replace Anderson, a source told CBS Sports. Martin is from East St. Louis, Illinois, which is just across the river from St. Louis. Another possibility could be embattled Washington coach Lorenzo Romar -- mostly because he employs Michael Porter Sr. and has a commitment from Michael Porter Jr., arguably the top prospect in the Class of 2017. Porter Sr. was an assistant women’s coach at Missouri before he took a spot on Romar’s Washington staff. So the family is familiar with Columbia and the Missouri campus in general.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...o-resign-after-three-straight-losing-seasons/

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

North Texas has parted ways with coach Tony Benford.

Benford, 52, replaced Johnny Jones in 2012 when Jones left for LSU. Benford was in charge for five seasons, going 62-95 during that time, including a 2016-17 campaign that saw the Mean Green finish 8-22 overall and 2-16 in Conference USA.

"After spending this season evaluating our men's basketball program, we have determined that a change in leadership is necessary," North Texas athletic director Wren Baker said in a statement. "Tony and his staff have worked tirelessly for five seasons to help our student-athletes grow academically, socially and competitively. I am appreciative of those efforts. However, I believe we can compete for championships and, unfortunately, we have fallen short of those expectations. This is a highly attractive job that is located in one of the most talent-rich areas of the country and, in my opinion, the best region of the country to live in. I couldn't be more excited about the future of the program."

Benford was a longtime assistant coach at various schools before going to North Texas, most recently spending four seasons at Marquette under Buzz Williams. He also made stops at New Mexico, Arizona State and Nebraska during his 20 years as an assistant.

Benford was given a five-year deal when he was hired.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...037/tony-benford-north-texas-mean-green-coach

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

LSU will fire Johnny Jones if and when his Tigers lose in the SEC tournament, a source confirmed to CBS Sports on Tuesday.

A formal announcement is expected later this week.

The Times-Picayune is also reporting this development.

Jones was placed on the so-called hot seat last season when he missed the NCAA Tournament despite having a talented roster highlighted by Ben Simmons -- who was the No. 1 pick of the 2016 NBA Draft. And this season has been even worse. LSU is 10-20 overall 2-16 in the SEC. The Tigers endured a 15-game losing streak that stretched from from Jan. 7 to Feb. 25. They’ll play Mississippi State on Wednesday in the opening round of the SEC tournament.

This is Jones’ fifth season at LSU, compiling a 42-48 conference record.

He made the NCAA Tournament only once.

LSU will likely aim high initially, as most coaching searches do. But two attainable head coaches who could ultimately be involved are Middle Tennessee’s Kermit Davis and Nevada’s Eric Musselman. Davis’ Blue Raiders just won the Conference USA regular-season title. Musselman’s Wolfpack just won the Mountain West regular-season title. Both are former LSU assistants.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/lsu-to-remove-johnny-jones-after-sec-tournament/

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Cleveland State coach Gary Waters has retired after 11 years with the program, the school announced Tuesday.

Waters, 65, led the Vikings to an NCAA tournament appearance in 2009, when they knocked off Wake Forest as a 13-seed before falling to Arizona in the second round. Waters leaves as the program's winningest coach with a 194-172 mark at Cleveland State, including this season's 9-22 campaign.

"Gary Waters has been a tremendous leader for our men's basketball program, both on the court and as a mentor and educator to countless young men," Cleveland State president Ronald Berkman said in a statement. "I want to personally thank him for his tremendous service to the university and for creating an environment that dually promotes athletic and academic success."

Before taking the Cleveland State job, Waters was the coach at Rutgers for five seasons and led Kent State to two NCAA tournament appearances in five seasons with the Golden Flashes.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-waters-retires-cleveland-state-vikings-coach

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Alabama A&M coach Willie Hayes has stepped down after six seasons.

The Bulldogs struggled mightily this season, finishing at 2-27. Hayes, 49, was 52-95 in his first five seasons with the Bulldogs. A&M failed to reach the top four of the Southwestern Athletic Conference standings in any of Hayes' six seasons.

"We thank Coach Hayes for his service and commitment to Alabama A&M University," athletic director Bryan Hicks said in a statement. "We wish him the best in his future endeavors."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...929/willie-hayes-steps-alabama-bulldogs-coach

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

UMass has removed Derek Kellogg as its men’s basketball coach, a source told CBS Sports on Thursday.

A formal announcement is expected soon.

Kellogg spent nine seasons at his alma mater. The former UMass player, and John Calipari assistant at Memphis, made the NCAA Tournament only once -- in 2014. His Minutemen lost to St. Bonaventure in the second round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament on Thursday and finished the season 15-18 overall, 4-14 in the A-10. Shortly afterward, Kellogg was informed of the administration’s decision.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...rek-kellogg-after-early-a-10-tournament-exit/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Groce out at Illinois. Too bad. From watching "The Journey," it's clear he's a good dude.

Groce getting let go isn't surprising. Never fun to watch guys get canned but oh well. I'm sure they'll hire someone solid.

Haven't seen an official release, but seeing tweets that Crean is out at Indiana.

ESPN: Cuonzo Martin signs 7-year deal with Missouri after resigning at Cal

Cuonzo Martin agreed to become the next men's basketball coach at Missouri on Wednesday. Sources tell ESPN the deal is for seven years and a little more than $21 million.

Martin resigned earlier in the day as coach at Cal. Wyking Jones will serve as interim coach, the school announced.

"We are thrilled that Cuonzo is returning to the Midwest and that his family will now call Columbia home," Missouri athletic director Jim Sterk said in a statement. "From the outset of our search, our goal was to find a coach who had demonstrated success, academically and on the court, while also sharing our values and who can help to reignite interest in Mizzou men's basketball among our fan base."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...o-martin-resigns-accepts-7-year-deal-missouri

Go Gophers!!

ESPN: Washington fires coach Lorenzo Romar after 15th season

Lorenzo Romar was a beloved figure at Washington, from building the Huskies into a conference champion to the way he carried himself off the court as a representative of the school.

No amount of goodwill built by Romar over more than a decade could overcome six straight seasons of missing the NCAA tournament, capped by a 9-22 season that included a 13-game losing streak, the longest in school history.

The expected final chapter of Romar's tenure took place Wednesday when he was fired after 15 seasons at Washington. He reinvigorated a downtrodden school, turning Washington into a contender and did it with class and respectability.

Yet the final determination always goes back to success, and Romar did not have enough over the past half-dozen seasons despite a steady stream of talent.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ington-huskies-fire-lorenzo-romar-9-22-season

Go Gophers!!

Jeff Goodman saying NC State hires Kevin Keatts from UNC Wilmington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Goodman saying NC State hires Kevin Keatts from UNC Wilmington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup just said the same thing in the other thread. Confirmed as I'm down in Wilmington now and it's all over the news

Really strong hire. good teacher,great recruiting ties all through the east coast and mid atlantic region. Very fertile region putting out hundreds of D1 kids annually. NCST could not hire Archie Miller unless they were parting ways with their AD as there is very bad blood there.

per CBS:

Brad Underwood has reached an agreement to leave Oklahoma State and take the coaching job at Illinois, a source told CBS Sports.

The school subsequently confirmed the development.

Underwood just finished his first season at Oklahoma State, where he led the Cowboys to the NCAA Tournament after starting 0-6 in the Big 12. His contract was worth about $1 million a year at Oklahoma State. Illinois recognized that, a source told CBS Sports, and offered to multiply Underwood’s salary. And that, combined with Underwood’s not-so-great relationship with OSU athletic director Mike Holder, was enough to get the Kansas State graduate to move to the Big Ten.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ates-brad-underwood-whos-in-for-a-nice-raise/

Go Gophers!!

With Syracuse' Hopking going to Washington, there will be an opening at SU after Boeheim hangs it up next year. Lock Pitino down now.

It looks like Mike Hopkins got tired of being "head coach in waiting" at Syracuse as he is now the HC at Washington.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tant-coach-mike-hopkins-replace-lorenzo-romar

Go Gophers!!

Starting to look a lot like the Purdue transition where there was some sort of gentlemen's agreement between Purdue and Keady in which Weber would take over and Keady kept pushing it out and Weber ended up at Southern Illinois. I feel for the Syracuse administration in this. You don't want to can the legend, but you want to move on. If they didn't do the extension, it would be disaster for the program. I am very curious to see how it goes in recruiting for the Orange over the next couple of years.

Former Gopher basketball Director of Operations (for about a week) is now the HC at Arkansas State:

Arkansas State has announced it has hired Louisville assistant Mike Balado as its next head coach. Arkansas State officials said Balado would be introduced at a Monday news conference.

Balado has been an assistant on Rick Pitino's staff the past four years. He replaces Grant McCasland, who resigned Monday to take over North Texas' program.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...es-louisville-cardinals-assistant-mike-balado

Go Gophers!!

Starting to look a lot like the Purdue transition where there was some sort of gentlemen's agreement between Purdue and Keady in which Weber would take over and Keady kept pushing it out and Weber ended up at Southern Illinois. I feel for the Syracuse administration in this. You don't want to can the legend, but you want to move on. If they didn't do the extension, it would be disaster for the program. I am very curious to see how it goes in recruiting for the Orange over the next couple of years.

Fair points, but Keady was a shell of his former self by the end (no NCAA Tournament appearances in his last 5 seasons). Conversely, Boeheim has still been producing at an elite level, reaching the Final Four twice in the previous 4 seasons before missing the Tournament this year. I can see why Syracuse is in no hurry to push him out and don't blame Hopkins for not waiting any longer.

Fair points, but Keady was a shell of his former self by the end (no NCAA Tournament appearances in his last 5 seasons). Conversely, Boeheim has still been producing at an elite level, reaching the Final Four twice in the previous 4 seasons before missing the Tournament this year. I can see why Syracuse is in no hurry to push him out and don't blame Hopkins for not waiting any longer.

I could have sworn he made it in 02-03, his third to last year.

He might not have had the same caliber players, but I actually think he became a better coach in his later years. His teams were known for underperforming in the NCAA's, but in their last few appearances under him they actually overachieved in the tournament. My observation was that his later teams were looser, while his earlier teams were tight.

Top Bottom