2017 College Basketball Coaching Hiring and Firing Thread

I could have sworn he made it in 02-03, his third to last year.

He might not have had the same caliber players, but I actually think he became a better coach in his later years. His teams were known for underperforming in the NCAA's, but in their last few appearances under him they actually overachieved in the tournament. My observation was that his later teams were looser, while his earlier teams were tight.

You are correct, my mistake. I guess my point was that they went 20 years and almost always finished in the top 5 in the Big Ten, while in the last few years it was mostly 7th, 8th (or worse) and twice missing the postseason altogether in his last 4 seasons.

I could have sworn he made it in 02-03, his third to last year.

He might not have had the same caliber players, but I actually think he became a better coach in his later years. His teams were known for underperforming in the NCAA's, but in their last few appearances under him they actually overachieved in the tournament. My observation was that his later teams were looser, while his earlier teams were tight.

I don't remember many details, but I do remember the Gophers and Vincent Grier crushing the Boilers at Mackey in Keady's last game pretty much to ensure an NCAA bid.

I have never been a big Boheim fan, but I can see his inevitable transition getting ugly. There is a certain grace and humility in timing departures that appears to be getting rare, whether its coaching or anything else. When you are in a power position like that, the move is probably harder for both the person and those around him. Hopefully someone he trusts will be honest with him when the time comes. He's had a great career and deserves to go out with people remembering that more than that he hung on too long.

With Syracuse' Hopking going to Washington, there will be an opening at SU after Boeheim hangs it up next year. Lock Pitino down now.

Heard on Dan Patrick that Boeheim just signed an extension through 2022. Maybe just recruiting window dressing, but if not, good lord.

Heard on Dan Patrick that Boeheim just signed an extension through 2022. Maybe just recruiting window dressing, but if not, good lord.

With Hopking leaving at the cusp of being the head coach after being there so long there has to be unknown issues or maybe he just felt Boeheim just wasn't going to give it up.

CBS: LSU hires VCU's Will Wade as coach

VCU’s Will Wade has agreed to become LSU’s next coach, a source told CBS Sports.

The school subsequently confirmed the report late Monday.

Wade is replacing Johnny Jones.\
Wade, 34, just led the Rams to successive NCAA Tournaments. His career record -- from two years at Chattanooga and two years at VCU -- is 91-45 overall and 55-15 in league games. He’s now the fourth consecutive Rams coach to win and bolt -- joining Jeff Capel (Oklahoma), Anthony Grant (Alabama) and Shaka Smart (Texas).

Mike Rhoades (Rice) and Jamion Christian (Mount St. Mary’s), both of whom are former VCU assistants, are candidates to replace Wade at the Atlantic 10 school, a source told CBSSports. Other candidates include East Tennessee State’s Steve Forbes, N.C. Central’s LeVelle Moton and Monmouth’s King Rice.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/lsu-hires-vcus-will-wade-as-coach/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino's not the youngest power conference head coach anymore!

No worries, Syracuse would not be going after Pitino, just like LSU,iLLINOIS,IU etc.. did not have him on a short list. Coyle has made it clear that he will be fair for a job well done but he will not be smoked screened by rumors. They will be adding modest escalators and performance incentives but he knows how it works and that it is all about supply and demand.

CBS: VCU is hiring Rice's Mike Rhoades to replace former coach Will Wade

Rhoades was an assistant coach on Shaka Smart’s staff at VCU from 2009 to 2014. He’s spent the past three years at Rice, where his Owls finished 23-12 this season. This is the second straight time VCU has hired a former VCU assistant. Wade was also previously a VCU assistant on Shaka Smart’s staff when Smart was the Rams’ coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ke-rhoades-to-replace-former-coach-will-wade/

Go Gophers!!

Here's a strange one; Kelsey backs out of UMass job

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like Indiana is hiring Chris Mack and Kelsey is going to take over at Xavier...they are represented by same agent. Kelsey has Xavier ties and he is not going back to Winthrop

As an IU grad, I would be extraordinarily surprised if IU hires Mack. And not particularly happy with the hire, at that.

I bet Mack would do pretty well at IU. He's a better coach than Crean, so if he can bring in the 5-star and 4-star recruits he should do well.

I can see some Indiana fans not being happy with Mack because he doesn't have the flashy name and because I can see some Indiana fans not being happy no matter who they hire. Mack would be a very good hire excellent coach and his teams always seem to reach their potential or surpass it.

I can see some Indiana fans not being happy with Mack because he doesn't have the flashy name and because I can see some Indiana fans not being happy no matter who they hire. Mack would be a very good hire excellent coach and his teams always seem to reach their potential or surpass it.

Indiana fans are idiots then as Mack can coach...they are not going to get their pie in the sky candidates as frankly the job is not even a top 10 job nationaly

Indiana fans are idiots then as Mack can coach...they are not going to get their pie in the sky candidates as frankly the job is not even a top 10 job nationaly

I agree with the Mack comment but Indiana is easily a top 10 job.

After living in Indiana for 5 years....those fans are rabid, but certainly not idiots. They know their basketball better than most fan bases.

It's not a question of if Mack can coach. The question, is he the right fit for Indiana. In my opinion, no he is not.

I agree with the Mack comment but Indiana is easily a top 10 job.

Maybe based on history. It's hard because past performance doesn't guarantee future success.

For instance Indiana has been to only 1 final four during the lifetime of most players in college right now(last 22 years). Meanwhile Michigan State has been to 7, Maryland 2, Ohio state (3*) and Wisconsin (2) have all been to more during that time just out of the Big Ten. So it's hard to argue recent success makes them top 10 job.

Recruiting, I don't know if they have a top 10 advantage as well as facilities. I can say without a doubt that their expectations are higher which can actually hurt. But maybe money wise. We all know they aren't spending it on their football team.

Needless to continue I don't get the argument that they are really still a top 10 place to coach.

Edit: Wisconsin has 3

Maybe based on history. It's hard because past performance doesn't guarantee future success.

For instance Indiana has been to only 1 final four during the lifetime of most players in college right now(last 22 years). Meanwhile Michigan State has been to 7, Maryland 2, Ohio state (3*) and Wisconsin (2) have all been to more during that time just out of the Big Ten. So it's hard to argue recent success makes them top 10 job.

Recruiting, I don't know if they have a top 10 advantage as well as facilities. I can say without a doubt that their expectations are higher which can actually hurt. But maybe money wise. We all know they aren't spending it on their football team.

Needless to continue I don't get the argument that they are really still a top 10 place to coach.

Their fan base and support is as good as any in the country. They are a historic blue blood of college basketball and that absolutely matters. Recruiting wise Indiana is loaded with talent every year.

There is not a better Big Ten basketball job than Indiana. If you or others that think there are 10 better college basketball jobs in the country I'd love to hear them. Recent success is far from the whole story.

I think the only jobs you could argue are better than Indiana are probably Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, and Kentucky. After that it's schools like Syracuse, Arizona, Louisville, Florida, Michigan State, Villanova, and maybe even a Gonzaga.

So I'd say you can easily place Indiana on a list of the top 10 college basketball jobs.

[I probably forgot a team or two in my listing above, but my point stands]

ETA: Here's an ESPN list from 2012, I thought about including Ohio State in my post above, but I opted not to. I think they are top 20, not top 10-15, but that's just my opinion.

I think the only jobs you could argue are better than Indiana are probably Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, and Kentucky. After that it's schools like Syracuse, Arizona, Louisville, Florida, Michigan State, Villanova, and maybe even a Gonzaga.

So I'd say you can easily place Indiana on a list of the top 10 college basketball jobs.

[I probably forgot a team or two in my listing above, but my point stands]

You're probably right in the traditional sense of "good/better" job, but I think the definition is changing on what that is for coaches. The Yahoo article on Monson and Gonzaga pointed that out. The fact that guys like Marshall, Few and others succeed and appear happy at places that aren't on the list indicates coaches are refining and defining for themselves what good jobs are. That shift makes it harder for middling big conference teams to hire coaches. I think there are a lot of really good coaches, some mentioned in this thread, who would not consider Indiana a good job because of all the headaches that come with it.

Their fan base and support is as good as any in the country. They are a historic blue blood of college basketball and that absolutely matters. Recruiting wise Indiana is loaded with talent every year.

There is not a better Big Ten basketball job than Indiana. If you or others that think there are 10 better college basketball jobs in the country I'd love to hear them. Recent success is far from the whole story.

I would put all of the other blue bloods ahead of them plus Michigan State(lansing is 100% behind MSU and 50% bigger than Bloomington) and Louisville(Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Duke, UNC). I count 7 then that are absolutely better and another 5 or 6 that are probably as good(Arizona, Wisconsin(I don't want to admit this), Syracuse, Florida, UCONN, Texas(?)). As for recruiting Indiana isn't that stacked considering that it's splits between Indiana, Purdue and Butler(not to mention the neighboring states schools)

Year # 5-stars -#4 stars
2017-4-3
2016-0-3
2015-1-3
2014-2-1
2013-0-4

Considering the number of high majors near by to compete with them thats not loaded but it is decent. I understand recent success is far from the whole story but will they ever have success like they had before? It's a lot like Nebraska football(no conference champs since 1999) I don't see them becoming multi-year dominant ever again.

Edit: the only thing for me that puts MSU higher than IU is the recent success otherwise all negatives Indiana has MSU would have.

I would put all of the other blue bloods ahead of them plus Michigan State(lansing is 100% behind MSU and 50% bigger than Bloomington) and Louisville(Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Duke, UNC). I count 7 then that are absolutely better and another 5 or 6 that are probably as good(Arizona, Wisconsin(I don't want to admit this), Syracuse, Florida, UCONN, Texas(?)). As for recruiting Indiana isn't that stacked considering that it's splits between Indiana, Purdue and Butler(not to mention the neighboring states schools)

Year # 5-stars -#4 stars
2017-4-3
2016-0-3
2015-1-3
2014-2-1
2013-0-4

Considering the number of high majors near by to compete with them thats not loaded but it is decent. I understand recent success is far from the whole story but will they ever have success like they had before? It's a lot like Nebraska football(no conference champs since 1999) I don't see them becoming multi-year dominant ever again.

Edit: the only thing for me that puts MSU higher than IU is the recent success otherwise all negatives Indiana has MSU would have.

I disagree with Michigan St for sure. Izzo is one of, if not the best coach in college, but without him Michigan St is nowhere near the caliber of Indiana. Crean actually won 2 B1G titles since Izzo won his last one 6 years ago. Crean had the talent to win bigger but underachieved in past postseasons and this year. That along with his personality is why he was fired.

I agree that Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, and UCLA would be better jobs. Indiana is next and ahead of the rest of the list you posted. Indiana will win out in recruiting over Purdue and Butler the majority of the time and they obviously don't have to only recruit Indiana. When most basketball teams are only taking 2-4 recruits per year, having 3-7 4* and 5* kids in your backyard every year is a good start.

I disagree with Michigan St for sure. Izzo is one of, if not the best coach in college, but without him Michigan St is nowhere near the caliber of Indiana. Crean actually won 2 B1G titles since Izzo won his last one 6 years ago. Crean had the talent to win bigger but underachieved in past postseasons and this year. That along with his personality is why he was fired.

I agree that Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, and UCLA would be better jobs. Indiana is next and ahead of the rest of the list you posted. Indiana will win out in recruiting over Purdue and Butler the majority of the time and they obviously don't have to only recruit Indiana. When most basketball teams are only taking 2-4 recruits per year, having 3-7 4* and 5* kids in your backyard every year is a good start.

True, I guess I just associate more with what Holy Man said and the top jobs are not head and shoulder better in my mind just maybe an inch or two higher.

Alford still hasn't made an Elite 8 as a coach. Hire away Indiana!

per ESPN:

Oklahoma State assistant Mike Boynton Jr. has been promoted and will replace Brad Underwood as the Cowboys head coach.

The school made an official announcement Friday afternoon.

Boynton came to Stillwater with Underwood a year ago, after spending three seasons with him at Stephen F. Austin. Oklahoma State went to the NCAA tournament this past season and the Lumberjacks went to the tournament all three years that Boynton was an assistant.

"At the end of the day, we view coaching from the same perspective," athletic director Mike Holder said in a statement. "All of the qualities that I value resonate in him. He said one thing that really stuck with me, that coaching is about leadership and family, and I agree with that wholeheartedly. I know I'm proud to have him as the leader of our basketball program, and think once people get to know him they'll feel the same way."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...a-state-hires-mike-boynton-jr-next-head-coach

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Archie Miller is making the leap from Dayton to Indiana to become the Hoosiers' new basketball coach, it was announced Saturday.

The seven-year deal is worth an estimated $3.5 million per season, sources told ESPN.

"I am honored to be the head coach at Indiana University," Miller said Saturday in a statement. "IU is one of the greatest basketball programs and academic institutions in the country, and I cannot wait to get started. With peerless fan support, outstanding facilities and tradition, a beautiful campus, and located in one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country, IU is a dream destination for me and my family."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19001709/archie-miller-coach-indiana-hoosiers

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom