The most important recruits of 2018

Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled on 2017 and we have our 1st commit of 2018 I thought it was a good time to discuss the next class. Fleck and Co has been on rapid pace on the 2018 trail and with Jr day coming up I want to look at a few recruits in the 2018 class that have been offered.

Top 3 most crucial:

QB- Brennan Armstrong
DE- Devin O' Rourke
S- Cam'ron Jones

Top 3 wishlist:

QB- Artur Sitkowski
WR- Elijah Moore
CB- Al Blades Jr

Top 3 most likely:

QB- Brennan Armstrong
DE- Boyd Dietzen
CB- Marquis Williams

IMO QB is the most critical recruit for a new coach because they need time to develop and with the shorter lifespan of coaches they need to get their guy in and start in 1-2 years. For us we need Das and D line for the future.

I keep hearing the 2018 class for MN is weak, but you can't tell me the state is devoid of p5 talent. Plus what about that 6-7-8 hour radius (that technically includes large potions of Canada I'd think. They play football there right? Funny rules grey cup bs football, but somewhat football) my point is I'm more interested in identifying the crucial recruits 1) in MN and keep em home 2) in that radius, especially upper Midwest.
Who are those crucial recruits? Benny Sapp III absolutely, who else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who are those crucial recruits? Benny Sapp III absolutely, who else?

Trey Lance, David Alston, and Brevyn Span-Ford are the other in-state guys who are probably the most ready to go to a p5 school. All of them will be visiting on Junior Day this weekend.

The 6-8 hour radius encompasses a lot of major metro areas (Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City among others) and the staff is hitting those areas hard. This weekend has a ton of people coming from out of state, so I guess we'll have to see how things develop after the visit to see who becomes more of a priority. We're still really early in the process.

I don't know if Dietzen would be in the most-likely category. He's the #1 croot in WI so I'm sure we'll have to fend off the skunks to make sure he commits here.

Why is Brennan Armstrong so important?

He seems like a good player and I'd love to have him aboard, but I guess I would need more explanation for Armstrong (specifically).

I assume you're going entirely off a position and recruiting rankings. What about Armstrong's rating makes him so vital? He is about the same caliber of recruit as most of our QB recruits. That doesn't really matter to me, but I am curious what makes him stand out if it's not his ranking?

He seems like a good player and I'd love to have him aboard, but I guess I would need more explanation for Armstrong (specifically).

I assume you're going entirely off a position and recruiting rankings. What about Armstrong's rating makes him so vital? He is about the same caliber of recruit as most of our QB recruits. That doesn't really matter to me, but I am curious what makes him stand out if it's not his ranking?

I can't comment on him directly, but we've never recruited Ohio terribly well (due to the bevy of mid-major programs and top recruiting schools all closer than us), so it would be a good place to establish some pipelines. Warriner has contacts back there and sometimes getting the first guy opens up the pipeline. We'll see. I trust the staff has a better plan than I thought the last staff had.

Look at Armstrong's offer list, and then tell me what QBs we've had in the last 7-8 years that can equal it.

Look at Armstrong's offer list, and then tell me what QBs we've had in the last 7-8 years that can equal it.

Cincinatti? Virginia? North Carolina?

I'm not diminishing the kid. I would love to have him on board and I think it's silly to get too deep into the recruiting rabbit hole (ranking stars and offers), but he doesn't seem like the kind of recruit that the recruitniks would be going gaga over.

Seth Green certainly had much better offers.

For me right now he seems likely to commit and I see Fleck taking 2 or more QBs in 2018 and I am holding out hope for Sitkowski or Mayden but we would have to beat out some tough competition to get one of them. Obviously more QBs will be offered but right now only 6 are offered total.

I'm not diminishing the kid. I would love to have him on board and I think it's silly to get too deep into the recruiting rabbit hole (ranking stars and offers), but he doesn't seem like the kind of recruit that the recruitniks would be going gaga over.

As did MarQueis.

Plus Alipate, Clint Brester and Tanner Morgan all had a couple other P5 offers.

Demry could have played at Penn State had he reciprocated their interest and was a higher priority than their eventual 2015 QB commit Tommy Stevens even though the websites won't show an offer.

DRM had offers from Iowa and Nebraska although I think those may have been at safety.

Not that he couldn't end up being good but I don't think Armstrong is better of a prospect than anyone else we've gotten before

Way too early to tell who the most important guys to the class are.

Personally I really hope Spann-Ford gets an offer and i think he will as I think he would be a huge weapon in the passing game at TE and should develop the size to be an adequate blocker. He could end up being my favorite commit. Wouldn't mind them offering Alston either.

I'm just hoping for another highly rated CB and a couple sought after WRs. I don't know many recruits names yet. Generically speaking though, I think fleck should be able to bring in more highly touted WRs than we have ever seen before. And I think warriner will bring in some real good OL recruits. This staff seems pretty committed to the line on both sides. Hopefully we can get some high star skill players coming here too.

It's unknown how many of Green's offers were commitable at the end. Besides Green, who else had a single P5 offer to play QB? Pretty sure no one.

As did MarQueis.

Plus Alipate, Clint Brester and Tanner Morgan all had a couple other P5 offers.

Demry could have played at Penn State had he reciprocated their interest and was a higher priority than their eventual 2015 QB commit Tommy Stevens even though the websites won't show an offer.

DRM had offers from Iowa and Nebraska although I think those may have been at safety.

Not that he couldn't end up being good but I don't think Armstrong is better of a prospect than anyone else we've gotten before

You are having to go all the way back to the Brewster era. And Morgan was obviously a Fleck recruit.

It's unknown how many of Green's offers were commitable at the end. Besides Green, who else had a single P5 offer to play QB? Pretty sure no one.

As I alluded to before and according to Ryan Burns, after Brandon Wimbush flipped from Penn State to Notre Dame, the PSU coaches went to one of Demry's games and he became their #1 QB target. Demry and his Boylan coaches told them no thanks and they later moved on to Tommy Stevens who eventually signed with them. Burns made it clear that Demry was a higher priority than Stevens to them.

So they never officially "offered" and the recruiting websites won't show an offer but he could have been at Penn State had he wanted to.

Also if Armstrong committed to a school today and then later decommitted in January a month before signing day like Seth did, most of his offers probably wouldn't be committable either so thats not an entirely fair comparison.

Top Bottom