Anonymous U football player: Fleck more proactive than Kill/Claeys in accountability

It's very difficult to measure well since it's usually not reported. But the most recent decent surveys of which I'm aware suggest 25 to 31% had been the victim of some form of sexual assault. These numbers are just for Harvard, but they were the only school involved in the study to actually release their data.

https://harvardgazette.files.wordpr...medium=email&utm_campaign=Mailing 9.21.15 (1)

How far off would these numbers have to be for you guys to think it's not a problem?

I'm surprised an institution as historically ballyhooed as Harvard would publish a survey with such obvious issues with stakeholder bias and non-response bias. I didn't see any effort at all to correct for stakeholder bias (what do respondents want the survey results to be) which is surely a large factor on a politically active campus and possibly (probably) inadequate correction for non-response bias, which are related. It's difficult to know the validity of any survey result when subjected to so many unknowns and mathematical massaging. I don't think anyone is arguing rape isn't a problem in our society or on campus. The issue, as with Trump, is selective or likely untrue "facts" being tossed around for political reasons. Hyperbole seems to be common with the extremists on both sides to try to make the news. It is what is is but don't get upset when it's called out.

I noticed they received a $5 amazon gift card for completing the survey. I'll admit when I hit one of those survey barriers on a newspaper site I will answer it in the quickest and most haphazard manner possible so I can get to the article.

I'm surprised an institution as historically ballyhooed as Harvard would publish a survey with such obvious issues with stakeholder bias and non-response bias. I didn't see any effort at all to correct for stakeholder bias (what do respondents want the survey results to be) which is surely a large factor on a politically active campus and possibly (probably) inadequate correction for non-response bias, which are related. It's difficult to know the validity of any survey result when subjected to so many unknowns and mathematical massaging. I don't think anyone is arguing rape isn't a problem in our society or on campus. The issue, as with Trump, is selective or likely untrue "facts" being tossed around for political reasons. Hyperbole seems to be common with the extremists on both sides to try to make the news. It is what is is but don't get upset when it's called out.

I noticed they received a $5 amazon gift card for completing the survey
. I'll admit when I hit one of those survey barriers on a newspaper site I will answer it in the quickest and most haphazard manner possible so I can get to the article.

You make may valid points, but I will tell you that almost all academic studies reward participants for participation. The $5 gift card is not a red flag, but standard operating procedure. Could still be a flawed study, though - I don't know enough. Just saying that the payment doesn't make it so on its face.

Yeah, that was just a minor point. And, it might have a some small effect on survey results.

The problems with surveys are many. And, so many women when questioned on why they didn't report to campus officials or the police stated they didn't feel the incident was serious enough. Now, why isn't that being talked about? Statistically that seems to be around 60-80% of survey respondents (that reported they were assaulted). Another 20-25% didn't report for fear retribution which is unfortunately surely an issue. People are complicated.

But consider this: if your child was assaulted or sexually assaulted would you fail to report that? It raises questions. Again, nobody is approving of forcible rape or assault but throwing around biased figures, in some cases wildly overstated, definitely makes headlines and presidential press conferences but for an educated person that should be a problem.

So you're saying your substantiation is your personal experience of ten years in higher education?
No, that's not what I'm saying. If you are in an industry your exposure to data sources increases. What I also said there is plenty of data to be found if you are actually interested in learning more.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

No, that's not what I'm saying. If you are in an industry your exposure to data sources increases. What I also said there is plenty of data to be found if you are actually interested in learning more.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

What I originally asked was what data source you are referencing to support your statement (though I believe I said "study"). Can you share? Or, is this confidential data?

What I originally asked was what data source you are referencing to support your statement (though I believe I said "study"). Can you share? Or, is this confidential data?

I get the impression that data sources boatwagon is talking about are more like personal data points. I do know the U puts out a report that summarizes the number of reported assaults by year and the outcomes of the investigations, but I haven't been able to re-find the link.

Top Bottom