Anonymous U football player: Fleck more proactive than Kill/Claeys in accountability

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

As a new Gophers football coach and athletics director try to change the culture of the program, one football player says the new tone is more serious than that of previous coaches.

The player spoke with the Daily Friday and asked to remain anonymous to preserve his standing with teammates as he discussed the boycott, how the team has changed under the leadership of new head coach P.J. Fleck, and past run-ins with sexual assault training.

He said Fleck told the team if any of them are involved in incidents similar to the alleged assault, “there’s no place for you in this program.”

“The big thing that [Fleck] said was, ‘you can’t change whatever did happen,’” he said. “’But either way, this is the new standard.’”

This approach to misconduct is more proactive than those taken by former coaches Tracy Claeys and Jerry Kill, the player said. “There’s definitely some walk behind the talk [with Fleck].”

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...player-says-p-j-will-hold-players-accountable

Go Gophers!!

Kill had no problem tossing guys, Tracy did it too...

Fleck has just talked so far.

Fleck is taking over a team coming off a gang bang scandal. I am sure Brew did the same in 2007 after he tossed Daniels, Jones, Jones and Massey.

The goal should be to get to the point where kicking players off the team doesn't need to occur.

Having read the article - the player who approached the Daily was opposed to the boycott, so there's an agenda involved here. He also requested to be anonymous - suggesting that his viewpoint may not be popular with at least some - if not a majority - of the other players.
if this player was not a big Claeys fan, it's not surprising that he would come out in support of Fleck.

As to the substance of the article, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that Fleck - or any coach coming into this situation - would take the 'zero tolerance' stance. The players had better understand that they're in the spotlight, and any misbehavior is likely going to draw a more severe punishment than might have happened under different circumstances.

I'm so glad this culture change is happening so people will look at the U more positively.

Having read the article - the player who approached the Daily was opposed to the boycott, so there's an agenda involved here. He also requested to be anonymous - suggesting that his viewpoint may not be popular with at least some - if not a majority - of the other players.
if this player was not a big Claeys fan, it's not surprising that he would come out in support of Fleck.

As to the substance of the article, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that Fleck - or any coach coming into this situation - would take the 'zero tolerance' stance. The players had better understand that they're in the spotlight, and any misbehavior is likely going to draw a more severe punishment than might have happened under different circumstances.

My guess is the player thought what the players did was wrong, and couldn't stand it just like the majority of Minnesotan's. He's probably relived to have someone there who walks the walk, not just talks the talk.

Seriously, what are you trying to argue? That this player doesn't know the difference between one culture vs. another even thought he is immersed in it? Are you suggesting that since Fleck hasn't tossed anyone out yet, he must be more lenient. And why must someone have an agenda when they provide an opinion. The view that he has an agenda is based on incomplete information and its silly to suggest it. Just take it at face value. That said, this player also admitted to voting for Donald Trump. O wait, no he said he voted for Hillary Clinton. I guess I don't remember which... but its important and we should know.

It sound more to me like Slab of Bacon and Short Ornery Norweigen have the agenda. Use whatever means necessary to refute any information that doesn't support their opinion.

The goal should be to get to the point where kicking players off the team doesn't need to occur.

Correct. Fleck drew the line in the sand and it should be obvious to all the players that such conduct will not be tolerated, no need for a hearing. It is easy to say that is what any coach would have done, but obviously that line was not draw by the coaches before the incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is the player thought what the players did was wrong, and couldn't stand it just like the majority of Minnesotan's. He's probably relived to have someone there who walks the walk, not just talks the talk.

The majority of Minnesotans are dead wrong and so is this kid. Half of the players suspended and being thrown under the bus by the administration have been exonerated by the University, itself! It doesn't matter if kool-aid drinking ideologues refuse to admit that the process was absolute garbage. The players boycott was an astounding success and a bright spot in the entire ordeal. I get that is going to be over quite a few people's heads, but it doesn't make it wrong.

As to the actual subject matter of the article. That all sounds good. I guess more accountability is better than less. This article appears to be an obvious dig at a pretty clean program. It's not doing PJ Fleck any favors.

Correct. Fleck drew the line in the sand and it should be obvious to all the players that such conduct will not be tolerated, no need for a hearing. It is easy to say that is what any coach would have done, but obviously that line was not draw by the coaches before the incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you're asking for is illegal. PJ cannot draw a line in the sound regarding consensual sexual activity. It doesn't matter if it's a team rule or however you want to try to circumvent this simple fact. We cannot kick people off the team for engaging in consensual sexual activity. If it is non-consensual. . .it will require a hearing.

Fleck is taking over a team coming off a gang bang scandal. I am sure Brew did the same in 2007 after he tossed Daniels, Jones, Jones and Massey.

That scandal happened under Brew's watch. Mase was gone...

This article shows how difficult a position the non-accused players were in and how they were not helped out at all by Coyle or Kaler.

What you're asking for is illegal. PJ cannot draw a line in the sound regarding consensual sexual activity. It doesn't matter if it's a team rule or however you want to try to circumvent this simple fact. We cannot kick people off the team for engaging in consensual sexual activity. If it is non-consensual. . .it will require a hearing.

Where in his post did he argue that Fleck should legislate the players' consensual sexual activity?

And I hope all Fleck ever has to do is talk. For the next 40 years, talk, talk, talk. I hope he NEVER has to toss a player for sexually assaulting a woman or raping a woman or sexually harassing a woman or even speaking unkindly towards a woman. I hope he NEVER has to toss a player for doing something stupid while intoxicated. I hope he NEVER has to toss a player for any EOAA rules violations whatsoever.

I hope his PROACTIVE approach works. I'm all for religious freedom, but if he has to recruit only Christians and have bible studies and prayer meetings all throughout the entire school year, in order to better the chances of there being no more sex scandals at the U of Mn, then so be it.

Is that what will happen or what I want to happen? No. I just want players of good character, who will work hard, study hard, listen to their coaches and play hard, every game, every practice, for all 4-5 years that they are in the program. If he needs to recruit only Muslims to accomplish this, then so be it. If he can do it by recruiting only atheists, then so be it. If he can do it by recruiting young men of all races and religions or non-religions, heck, they could all be gay as far as I'm concerned, as long as they represent the Univ of Minnesota in a good way, in a way that can make the fans proud and the whole state proud, then so be it.

He made things work at WMU, and many successful coaches have gotten their starts in the MAC, or used the MAC as a step to get them into a Major College program, so I hope Fleck ends up joining that list of successful coaches. Are things different here in Minnesota, in the B1G, different than they were at WMU? Of course they are. Not one single successful coach that passed through a MAC program or some other smaller conference program before going on to the big conf program that made their legacy went without adapting to big changes.

SO FAR, Fleck seems to be doing an ok job. Got a big recruit to commit early, is taking a proactive stance to prevent any future scandals, seems to be targeting kids with good character and good grades, although I must admit that is just a very general and uneducated impression I've gotten. But those are the kinds of kids we need to come to the U.

Seriously, what are you trying to argue? That this player doesn't know the difference between one culture vs. another even thought he is immersed in it? Are you suggesting that since Fleck hasn't tossed anyone out yet, he must be more lenient. And why must someone have an agenda when they provide an opinion. The view that he has an agenda is based on incomplete information and its silly to suggest it. Just take it at face value. That said, this player also admitted to voting for Donald Trump. O wait, no he said he voted for Hillary Clinton. I guess I don't remember which... but its important and we should know.

It sound more to me like Slab of Bacon and Short Ornery Norweigen have the agenda. Use whatever means necessary to refute any information that doesn't support their opinion.

I'm saying we don't know...

Jebus people....

And I hope all Fleck ever has to do is talk. For the next 40 years, talk, talk, talk. I hope he NEVER has to toss a player for sexually assaulting a woman or raping a woman or sexually harassing a woman or even speaking unkindly towards a woman. I hope he NEVER has to toss a player for doing something stupid while intoxicated. I hope he NEVER has to toss a player for any EOAA rules violations whatsoever.

I hope his PROACTIVE approach works. I'm all for religious freedom, but if he has to recruit only Christians and have bible studies and prayer meetings all throughout the entire school year, in order to better the chances of there being no more sex scandals at the U of Mn, then so be it.

Is that what will happen or what I want to happen? No. I just want players of good character, who will work hard, study hard, listen to their coaches and play hard, every game, every practice, for all 4-5 years that they are in the program. If he needs to recruit only Muslims to accomplish this, then so be it. If he can do it by recruiting only atheists, then so be it. If he can do it by recruiting young men of all races and religions or non-religions, heck, they could all be gay as far as I'm concerned, as long as they represent the Univ of Minnesota in a good way, in a way that can make the fans proud and the whole state proud, then so be it.

He made things work at WMU, and many successful coaches have gotten their starts in the MAC, or used the MAC as a step to get them into a Major College program, so I hope Fleck ends up joining that list of successful coaches. Are things different here in Minnesota, in the B1G, different than they were at WMU? Of course they are. Not one single successful coach that passed through a MAC program or some other smaller conference program before going on to the big conf program that made their legacy went without adapting to big changes.

SO FAR, Fleck seems to be doing an ok job. Got a big recruit to commit early, is taking a proactive stance to prevent any future scandals, seems to be targeting kids with good character and good grades, although I must admit that is just a very general and uneducated impression I've gotten. But those are the kinds of kids we need to come to the U.

It would be nice, but also I think it is unrealistic.

I think with as many young students they bring in it's just not possible to keep everyone in line. It is what you do when a mistake is made that counts.

The majority of Minnesotans are dead wrong and so is this kid. Half of the players suspended and being thrown under the bus by the administration have been exonerated by the University, itself! It doesn't matter if kool-aid drinking ideologues refuse to admit that the process was absolute garbage. The players boycott was an astounding success and a bright spot in the entire ordeal. I get that is going to be over quite a few people's heads, but it doesn't make it wrong.

As to the actual subject matter of the article. That all sounds good. I guess more accountability is better than less. This article appears to be an obvious dig at a pretty clean program. It's not doing PJ Fleck any favors.

Oh, ya, and if anyone doesn't agree they're stupid because he or she can't see things as clearly as you. They refused to play until all 10 were reinstated. None were but they played.Their coach was told he was being rehired after the Northwestern game. He was fired and the main thing that changed was his players boycotting. Pretty much sealed his fate, along with the tweet, as it appeared he couldn't control his team. Drew Wolitarsky stated how surprised they were at the blowback. A few articles were written about the unfairness of the process, but there hasn't been a great outcry for change.

Most people feel the same one way or the other. Those that disagree with you are either kook-aid drinkers or support facism.

But because we had this outrage on GH and 5 players were reinstated, the boycott was somehow a landmark moment in a quest for due process. The 5 probably would have been reinstated anyway although you won't probably accept that contention. Some EOAA policies might change, but again, they very well might have been looked at anyway.

Some people have looked at and thought about EOAA more carefully, but to call it "an astounding success" gives us on GH our own set of alternative facts.

Oh, ya, and if anyone doesn't agree they're stupid because he or she can't see things as clearly as you. They refused to play until all 10 were reinstated. None were but they played.Their coach was told he was being rehired after the Northwestern game. He was fired and the main thing that changed was his players boycotting. Pretty much sealed his fate, along with the tweet, as it appeared he couldn't control his team. Drew Wolitarsky stated how surprised they were at the blowback. A few articles were written about the unfairness of the process, but there hasn't been a great outcry for change.

Most people feel the same one way or the other. Those that disagree with you are either kook-aid drinkers or support facism.

But because we had this outrage on GH and 5 players were reinstated, the boycott was somehow a landmark moment in a quest for due process. The 5 probably would have been reinstated anyway although you won't probably accept that contention. Some EOAA policies might change, but again, they very well might have been looked at anyway.

Some people have looked at and thought about EOAA more carefully, but to call it "an astounding success" gives us on GH our own set of alternative facts.

Well said. Calling the boycott an astounding success is a bit over the top to say the least. Bob's arrogant attitude that his opinion is over our heads needs to be called out as well.

Yay another thread where we get to witness another pissing contest....:rolleyes:

abandon-thread-97122.gif

Yay another thread where we get to witness another pissing contest....:rolleyes:

abandon-thread-97122.gif

Man my gifs are always too big but for these threads but this is for GH:

https://gfycat.com/ConstantQuestionableGallinule

I swear this place is getting worse you say one thing and suddenly you're a hater or a blind supporter or ... whatever the other person can take to an extreme and complain about.

Man my gifs are always too big but for these threads but this is for GH:

https://gfycat.com/ConstantQuestionableGallinule

I swear this place is getting worse you say one thing and suddenly you're a hater or a blind supporter or ... whatever the other person can take to an extreme and complain about.

ConstantQuestionableGallinule

Post it as a picture and uncheck the box that says, "Retrieve remote file and reference locally." Should be able to work.

In what way has Fleck "walked the walk"?

By literal definition, all he has done is talk.

And please, try to argue that he kicked off the walk-on at WMU as the definitive example. That was at least the 3rd time he had been accused of an assault.

Top Bottom