Anonymous U football player: Fleck more proactive than Kill/Claeys in accountability

The U handled this correctly. Anyone paying attention to the Baylor situation? This isn't a feminist issue....its a human being issue. Sexual assault is a huge problem on college campuses and the U has sent a message that will make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So my focus is narrow now?

I have posted all sorts diverse and at times divisive material on this board, of varying quality, for a very long time. You on the other hand, appeared in December of this year (what a coincidence), and tend obsess on one topic and seem to have an agenda. The timing, the tone, and the structure of your comments is very curious.

I have been reacting in a fairly emotional, blunt way to tyranny, hypocrisy and injustice in recent weeks. You appear to have joined to forum to further push you one note agenda, in a less than forthright way.

I can see you clearly haven't seen most of my posts. But don't let that stop you from being lazy and dishonest and throwing out generalities.

I can see you clearly haven't seen most of my posts. But don't let that stop you from being lazy and dishonest and throwing out generalities.
He's too busy ranting and raving to be coherent about anything. I'm a Conservative and he thinks I'm a Liberal. Crazy.

The U handled this correctly. Anyone paying attention to the Baylor situation? This isn't a feminist issue....its a human being issue. Sexual assault is a huge problem on college campuses and the U has sent a message that will make a difference.

Too many people seem to think it can only be one extreme or the other. There can be a middle ground where a thorough investigation is done without any kind of bias.

Still always taking the high road I see KGF.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured I'd hear from you. You should've read the post I canceled.
Yeah, that was the high road for the insulting posts that dpo sent. So according to you, I'm not supposed to respond to any insult b/c I endorse a higher level of intellectual discussion. I suppose that's an option, but I felt some expression of my disdain for his unsolicited, insulting post was appropriate. The "kind of sad" post was probably more descriptive of my thoughts for both of these characters. Notice, I never used the word "idiot" though that may have been a term that might have been inbounds for their ignorant posts.
BTW, there's a difference in calling out someone on their ignorance b/c they post something really stupid, like a gratuitous insult, and calling them an idiot b/c you have a difference of opinion.

I figured I'd hear from you. You should've read the post I canceled.
Yeah, that was the high road for the insulting posts that dpo sent. <b>So according to you, I'm not supposed to respond to any insult b/c I endorse a higher level of intellectual discussion. </b>I suppose that's an option, but I felt some expression of my disdain for his unsolicited, insulting post was appropriate. The "kind of sad" post was probably more descriptive of my thoughts for both of these characters. Notice, I never used the word "idiot" though that may have been a term that might have been inbounds for their ignorant posts.
BTW, there's a difference in calling out someone on their ignorance b/c they post something really stupid, like a gratuitous insult, and calling them an idiot b/c you have a difference of opinion.

On the bolded - I have suggested nothing of the sort. I found your response witty and I enjoyed it. What I called you out on, and I think you know it based on your first sentence, is just over 24-hours ago you lectured us all on being respectful and that it is up to us posters to demand we treat each other right, etc. and then you tell dpo you wish he would have gotten beaten up in Iowa. Careful, some might think you are a fraud.

No matter the differences that may arise between me and my fellow Gopherholers, I would never let any one of you get beat up by an Iowegian. We may bicker with each other, but there are some things that I just will not let stand. :D

On the bolded - I have suggested nothing of the sort. I found your response witty and I enjoyed it. What I called you out on, and I think you know it based on your first sentence, is just over 24-hours ago you lectured us all on being respectful and that it is up to us posters to demand we treat each other right, etc. and then you tell dpo you wish he would have gotten beaten up in Iowa. Careful, some might think you are a fraud.
Yes, I was taking a page from your sense of humor, which I've said that I have laughed at on many occasion. It was a sideways insult, which I have used in the past. The "lecture" was really about direct, gratuitous insults that are made b/c of a difference of opinion rather than a response to an insulting post, like these.
I don't want to spend my life on a message board posting comments that explain every detail of my beliefs. So let me simply say, I think gratuitous insults are ignorant and demonstrate a weakness of character and argument of those that use them, especially on a message board where you don't have to face the target of the ignorance.
I suppose someone could take offense to that, but I believe it is an entirely justified insult for the reasons I've already stated. And I'd be happy to tell them to their faces, unlike these cowards that would only do it from their keyboards.

Yes, I was taking a page from your sense of humor, which I've said that I have laughed at on many occasion. It was a sideways insult, which I have used in the past. The "lecture" was really about direct, gratuitous insults that are made b/c of a difference of opinion rather than a response to an insulting post, like these.
I don't want to spend my life on a message board posting comments that explain every detail of my beliefs. So let me simply say, I think gratuitous insults are ignorant and demonstrate a weakness of character and argument of those that use them, especially on a message board where you don't have to face the target of the ignorance.
I suppose someone could take offense to that, but I believe it is entirely justified insult for the reasons I've already stated. And I'd be happy to tell them to their faces, unlike these cowards that would only do it from their keyboards.

Well, at least you found your soapbox again.

Well said. Calling the boycott an astounding success is a bit over the top to say the least. Bob's arrogant attitude that his opinion is over our heads needs to be called out as well.

And he still continues this narrative that they reason people were upset about it or felt it was wrong was because it was group sex. Give me a break....that line is so old and not even relevant.

and now, just to get us off this pointless bickering, a blast from the past:

LEIDNER STINKS. WHY DON'T THEY PLAY CROFT?

Thank you. you may now return to insulting each other while claiming you're taking the high moral path.

More of this nonsense. If you don't basically go down on PJF, you want him to fail.

So that's a visual I'm now going to have a hard time getting out of my head...

Now that we agreed to set aside our differences. Can we get back to the original thread?

Honest question... Can you send a link to a study that illustrates this so I can frame my perspective on the issue? There is a lot of "anecdotal expertise" thrown around on the topic and it would be good to set the record straight.

Honest question... Can you send a link to a study that illustrates this so I can frame my perspective on the issue? There is a lot of "anecdotal expertise" thrown around on the topic and it would be good to set the record straight.
Just Google it. There is plenty available. In particular look at what happened at Baylor. Universities are under enormous pressure to deal with this due in part to situations like what happened there.

Getting back to the OP, of course there will be more accountability with Fleck. He was hired in the midst of a sexual assault scandal and no doubt this was one of the requirements laid out to him.

Just Google it. There is plenty available. In particular look at what happened at Baylor. Universities are under enormous pressure to deal with this due in part to situations like what happened there.

When you noted that "sexual assault is a huge problem on college campuses" it sounded like you were aware of data which proved this. If not, that's fine. Regarding the Baylor situation, I find it to be sick, shameful and disgusting. Clearly it seems, if the allegations turn out to be correct, that the athletics program colluded to allow their athletes to commit horrible crimes and then cover them up. But I don't look at that situation as proving your statement.

I don't believe there is any definitive statistics to unbiasly demonstrate the extent of sexual assault on college campuses. There are politically bias statistics that greatly exaggerate the extent and there are other statistics that I heard that are significantly lower.
I doubt anyone knows the true rate of sexual assault. But, that's likely the point you were making with your comment.

I don't believe there is any definitive statistics to unbiasly demonstrate the extent of sexual assault on college campuses. There are politically bias statistics that greatly exaggerate the extent and there are other statistics that I heard that are significantly lower.
I doubt anyone knows the true rate of sexual assault. But, that's likely the point you were making with your comment.

Based on what I'm personally aware of, I have the same opinion as you regarding the available data on the subject. But the poster seemed rather emphatic regarding their position on the topic. So I was hoping there was something more difinitive existing which I had not seen.

I do know it. I worked in higher ed for ten years. I'm not speculating...its a real problem and has been for some time.

Based on the comments I am reading I would guess anything study I referred to would be "politically biased" although I am not sure how someone would know that. But let's ignore the available studies for a moment. You take young men and women, put them in close proximity, add alcohol. What could go wrong? The problem is that colleges haven't known how, or have not been willing, to deal with it. So varying degrees of the Baylor situation have happened. I'm glad that the U had a policy and followed it. I think its too bad Claeys got swept up in it because I think he's a good guy. The U has a Student Code of Conduct that each student would have been required to sign off on. Sometimes when you break the rules bad things happen. Hopefully they learned from it will help them later in life. Bottom line ... the U really didn't have a choice...they had a policy that they had to follow. The policy was put in place to protect young women and, to a degree, to protect the U as well.

Based on the comments I am reading I would guess anything study I referred to would be "politically biased" although I am not sure how someone would know that. But let's ignore the available studies for a moment. You take young men and women, put them in close proximity, add alcohol. What could go wrong? The problem is that colleges haven't known how, or have not been willing, to deal with it. So varying degrees of the Baylor situation have happened. I'm glad that the U had a policy and followed it. I think its too bad Claeys got swept up in it because I think he's a good guy. The U has a Student Code of Conduct that each student would have been required to sign off on. Sometimes when you break the rules bad things happen. Hopefully they learned from it will help them later in life. Bottom line ... the U really didn't have a choice...they had a policy that they had to follow. The policy was put in place to protect young women and, to a degree, to protect the U as well.
There is significant debate about the validity of campus rape statistics. See attached:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...een-raped-on-college-campuses/article/2551980
This has been a political football used by the Obama admin and Democrat Legislators that has resulted in the mandate made to government funded colleges about the process of handling sexual assault allegations.
I don't know what the rate of sexual assault is on college campuses, but I seriously doubt that 1 in 5 female students has been raped. 1 in 100 would be unacceptable, but IMO, the statistics have been overstated by those with a political agenda.

There is significant debate about the validity of campus rape statistics. See attached:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...een-raped-on-college-campuses/article/2551980
This has been a political football used by the Obama admin and Democrat Legislators that has resulted in the mandate made to government funded colleges about the process of handling sexual assault allegations.
I don't know what the rate of sexual assault is on college campuses, but I seriously doubt that 1 in 5 female students has been raped. 1 in 100 would be unacceptable, but IMO, the statistics have been overstated by those with a political agenda.

I may have implied or stated that KGF was a left leaning person and that may have been mistaken.

Regarding the 1 in 4 women in are raped number see below"

Here is a link to a conversation about campus rape statistics that alludes to statistics and assumptions made. There is plenty of material available to access and read that supports what this guy Stuart Taylor states if you suspect he might be a crackpot, or dismiss his points outright because it was on Tucker Carlson's Fox show.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5310159872001/?#sp=show-clips

I do know it. I worked in higher ed for ten years. I'm not speculating...its a real problem and has been for some time.

So you're saying your substantiation is your personal experience of ten years in higher education?

It's very difficult to measure well since it's usually not reported. But the most recent decent surveys of which I'm aware suggest 25 to 31% had been the victim of some form of sexual assault. These numbers are just for Harvard, but they were the only school involved in the study to actually release their data.

https://harvardgazette.files.wordpr...medium=email&utm_campaign=Mailing 9.21.15 (1)

How far off would these numbers have to be for you guys to think it's not a problem?

It's very difficult to measure well since it's usually not reported. But the most recent decent surveys of which I'm aware suggest 25 to 31% had been the victim of some form of sexual assault. These numbers are just for Harvard, but they were the only school involved in the study to actually release their data.

https://harvardgazette.files.wordpr...medium=email&utm_campaign=Mailing 9.21.15 (1)

How far off would these numbers have to be for you guys to think it's not a problem?
As I said, I think sexual assault is an issue regardless of the incident rate. If the issue is argued with statistics alone, it tends to deemphasize the qualitative aspects of how unwanted sexual contact occurs. I'm all in favor of raising the issue for both men and women, so that men treat women with respect and women avoid situations that may compromise their safety and control.
That's the last comment I'll make on this subject b/c its off topic of the thread.

Top Bottom