STrib: Nate Mason is having the best stretch of his Gophers career

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Nate Mason was the reason the Gophers didn’t find themselves trailing at halftime in Wednesday’s 75-74 win against Indiana.

The other Gophers were 5-for-21 from the field, but Mason had 18 of his game-high 30 points in the first half.

The 6-foot-2 junior guard became the first Minnesota player since Vincent Grier in 2004-05 to have two 30-point games in the same season. He had a career-high 31 points and 11 assists in a 91-82 overtime win Jan. 1 at Purdue.

“This whole week of practice after that last game, my shot has been feeling great,” Mason said. “My cousin came to town. It was good to see his face. I hadn’t seen him in three or four years. He came to the game, and I wanted to play well for him. I guess it was a little good-luck charm.”

Akeem Springs joked: “We need to have his cousin come to all the games.”

http://www.startribune.com/postgame...best-stretch-of-his-gophers-career/413917233/

Go Gophers!!

Is Mason back on the all big ten teams discussion with his recent play?

Who's ahead of him at the PG position in the conference?

Projected B1G first team:

PG: Tremble
SG: Jok
SF: Hayes
PF: Swanigan
C: Happ

I would think Mason is probably on the 2nd team.

I just don't follow the other teams enough to know.

Who's ahead of him at the PG position in the conference?

Projected B1G first team:

PG: ????
SG: Jok
SF: Hayes
PF: Swanigan
C: Haff

I just don't follow the other teams enough to know.

Trimble, Jok, Swanigan and Haff are locks right now in my opinion. Last spot could go to another guard. Webster and Hill will be in the mix for sure.

If the Gophers finish in the top 5 of the conference, Mason should be a lock for 2nd team.

Hayes is having an underwhelming year for Wisconsin. I think he played better the last two years.

Hayes is having an underwhelming year for Wisconsin. I think he played better the last two years.

Last year he was really bad. Shot 36.8% from the field. He's not having a great year but I think it is better than last season.

Mason has been fantastic and has definitely ramped up his defense this year. The only remaining thing that dogs him is the low FG percentage on 2 point shots-36%. He is shooting well as a 3pt shooter at 39% but his shot making or shot selection on 2 pointers is a problem. Hopefully next year the addition of Washington will allow him to force it a little less and see more open looks. He has faced a lot of pressure. Michigan was shading a second defender on him all night.

I saw a tweet from Marcus Fuller that Mason was suffering from bronchitis prior to the Michigan game.

Top Bottom