Nate Mason end of game situation

Drake University Gopher

Reaction score
I know this comes up all the time, but WHY wasn't the ball in Nate Mason's hands? I'm as much of a pollyana as it gets and I still couldn't believe it came down to that ugly fadeaway by Springs. Yes he made the layup on the follow, but I still want the ball with Mason in that situation. Huge victory either way. Let's keep the wins coming!

I know this comes up all the time, but WHY wasn't the ball in Nate Mason's hands? I'm as much of a pollyana as it gets and I still couldn't believe it came down to that ugly fadeaway by Springs. Yes he made the layup on the follow, but I still want the ball with Mason in that situation. Huge victory either way. Let's keep the wins coming!

I know! Right?? Mason draws a foul all the time in those situations. Glad it ended that way, but a step back fadeaway from Springs??? Come on.

I know! Right?? Mason draws a foul all the time in those situations. Glad it ended that way, but a step back fadeaway from Springs??? Come on.

Maybe they were running the play from the end of Hoosiers but instead of Mason pulling a Jimmy Chitwood and saying he would make it they decided to use him as the decoy. But yeah count me in the group that down one I would like to see the ball in Mason or Coffey's hands in that situation.

Now if we need a three that is a different story. Credit to Springs for staying with the play after the bad shot and to Curry for fighting to get the tip out on the rebound. Can't wait to see just how good Curry can get with some more seasoning, kid has a ton of upside.

Coffey has to be the #1 for end of game situations - most versatile scorer we have.

Gophs are not equipped in late game situations. Not a one of them, including Coach. They all need a better plan. We have to run their offense and take a shot when it presents itself. They don't have enough talent in that situation to wait for the final shot

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We all know Springs is the only guy that wants the ball in his hands in that situation.

It was not what was intended - Pitino said there was supposed to be a screen for Amir.
He also told Springs after the game that if you're shooting 1-12, you better be following your shot...

I dunno, all I know is it turned out well. *whew*

Players did not run the play called. Springs realized it and knew he needed to shoot soon, so he did.

Coffey was supposed to get a high ball screen, but there was a miscommunication and it never came. Pitino said in the post game that can't happen, but they made a winning play. It happens to the best of teams, it doesn't always go by the script and sometimes you just have to make a play.

Eric Curry made the hustle play, and Juwan Morgan got caught standing and watching the ball. If he boxes out Curry, it's a different finish. Thankfully Springs followed his shot and was there for the lay-up.

Mason was the main reason the game was close down the stretch. He made every big play when it was needed.

As Pitino said, Murphy didn't set the screen for Coffey to get the ball. The only difference between this end game and a few we have lost this season is that Springs followed up on the miss and Curry found a way to tip it to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it was intentional, but I think this is the first closing possession that the gophers have put up a shot with enough time for a chance at an offensive rebound. What seems like a horrendous decision in real time may have been one of the more savvy plays made by anyone on this team in a while.

Coffey has to have the ball in his hands in that situation. Springs took a terrible shot, kudos to him for following his shot though!

Coffey has to have the ball in his hands in that situation. Springs took a terrible shot, kudos to him for following his shot though!

Pitino on Springs: “He had been missing everything all game so it's nice he assumed he would miss that one too and chase down the rebound”

I love our coach.

Eric Curry made the hustle play, and Juwan Morgan got caught standing and watching the ball. If he boxes out Curry, it's a different finish.

Blackmon got caught watching the paint dry, as well. After Springs' initial shot, just stood there watching, didn't put a body on Springs, and Akeem slid right past him to get the loose ball.

Lol.. A month ago everyone was angrily saying "Why is the ball in Mason's hands at the end of the game!"

Pitino on Springs: “He had been missing everything all game so it's nice he assumed he would miss that one too and chase down the rebound”

I love our coach.

:clap:

Go Gophers!!

It wasn't the easiest of put backs by Springs either. It was really nice to get that win. What a finish!

Coffey has to be the #1 for end of game situations - most versatile scorer we have.

Not able to beat a double team off the dribble like Mason so he can't always get to a clean spot to shoot. There were at least two spots last night where he lost the ball against one good defender because he's in love with a high dribble. Off a screen or with space I would say he's the best scorer. In traffic or when the screen results in a double team on the ball (which is what happens in end game situations) he is not the #1 option right now.

Isn't Murphy to blame for not setting the screen? Man, that has to piss off Pitino. Come out of a huddle and fail to execute is not a way to impress a coach.

Isn't Murphy to blame for not setting the screen? Man, that has to piss off Pitino. Come out of a huddle and fail to execute is not a way to impress a coach.

I don't believe the Gophers took a timeout after Indiana made the two free throws.

I'd love a Mason/Coffey P&R in that situation

Mason hasn't done that well on last second attempts. He was on fire most of the game though. Coffey seems to have the length to get the shot off even if he is defended well. Would like to see if he can dribble through contact on those last second plays as the whistles aren't blowing.

It probably comes down to which guy between Mason and Coffey is feeling it at the time. Either way, I want that man to DEMAND the ball at the end of the game. It's nice to have another shooter in Springs that isn't afraid to take the shot, but it still isn't the ideal scenario in my book.

Sometimes you don't have your first option in the last seconds because the other team has taken it away or someone doesn't execute the designed play (e.g. Jordan not setting the initial screen to spring Amir). Sounds like Pitino actually called a good play with someone most of us would be comfortable with getting the ball. When the play doesn't happen as designed, there needs to be others willing to improvise and want to take the shot. Akeem should be lauded for not being afraid of taking the shot AND getting it up in time for a put back. If anything, the most frustrating thing I have seen in late game situations is not getting the shot up in time for a put pack. Springs and Curry were on the ball and did what they needed to do. I refuse to complain about the play with the result we got.

By the way, major kudos to Bad Gopher who called, in the first half when Springs was really struggling with the shot, that he would make a "big one" before the end of the game. Akeem cut it down to the wire, but made Bad Gopher clairvoyant. Way to make the call, Bad! What do you have for the Michigan game?

Couldn't agree more with your take Holy Man.

Top Bottom