Nate Mason end of game situation

This. Especially BT officials.

This is a long discussed topic, but what exactly is a "Big Ten Official"?

Do these guys actually have a meeting before each Big Ten game they work and decide to call the game a certain way, unique to the Big Ten. Since most of these guys work many games every month, outside the Big Ten, do they call the ACC, MVC, Big 12 or Big East games any differently than they would call a Big Ten game?

My assumption is no, they do not.

This is a long discussed topic, but what exactly is a "Big Ten Official"?

Do these guys actually have a meeting before each Big Ten game they work and decide to call the game a certain way, unique to the Big Ten. Since most of these guys work many games every month, outside the Big Ten, do they call the ACC, MVC, Big 12 or Big East games any differently than they would call a Big Ten game?

My assumption is no, they do not.

I'm confused. Are you saying officiating crews aren't hired by each conference? When did this change take place?

I'm confused. Are you saying officiating crews aren't hired by each conference? When did this change take place?

Most referees ref in a variety of conferences, but I am pretty sure the B1G vets them and "approves" of who will ref games in their conference. They are not conference employees, but contractors who are working six or seven days a week during the season. From what I have noticed, there has been a lot of turnover in refs the last couple of years and while the officiating has always been bad, it has been historically bad this year, especially with inconsistency. I think the turnover is due to retirements and probably the worst refs getting the boot from the conference.

While we lay claim, with some justification, to the worst refs in the country, I know people who follow west coast basketball who say the Pac 12 is brutal and insist they are the worst. I wonder if any conference fan base stands up and says, "We have the best refs in the country." I've never heard that, and I doubt I ever will.

Top Bottom