B1G Tournament Pairings/Bracket (through Feb. 14)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
A Nebraska win and an Ohio State loss last night moved the Cornhuskers out of Weakling Wednesday, and the Buckeyes in. Tonight's slate:

Maryland @ Northwestern, 6 (BTN)
Indiana @ GOPHERS, 8 (BTN)

The latest bracket and pairings (all times CT):

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/2017bttbracket.pdf

Wednesday, March 8 (Weakling Wednesday)
#12 Ohio State (5-9) vs. #13 Illinois (4-9), 3:30 (ESPN2)
#11 Indiana (5-8) vs. #14 Rutgers (2-12), 6 (BTN)

Thursday, March 9 (Second Round)
#8 Iowa (6-7) vs. #9 Penn State (6-8), 11 (BTN)
#5 Michigan State (8-5) vs. Ohio State/Illinois winner, 1:30 (BTN)
#7 Michigan (6-6) vs. #10 Nebraska (5-8), 5:30 (ESPN2)
#6 GOPHERS (6-6) vs. Indiana/Rutgers winner, 8 (ESPN2)

Friday, March 10 (Quarterfinals)
#1 Wisconsin (10-2) vs. Iowa/Penn State winner, 11 (ESPN)
#4 Northwestern (8-4) vs. Michigan State/Ohio State/Illinois winner, 1:30 (ESPN)
#2 Purdue (10-3) vs. Michigan/Nebraska winner, 5:30 (BTN)
#3 Maryland (9-3) vs. GOPHERS/Indiana/Rutgers winner, 8 (BTN)

Amazing to think that both Indiana and Ohio St could be playing on Wednesday.

Ohio State was overrated coming into this season and only the Vikings Offensive Line has seen more injuries than the Hoosiers.

Amazing to think that both Indiana and Ohio St could be playing on Wednesday.

Definitely.

This call might be a little early, but I'm seeing OSU as the team that could make a surprising B1G Tournament run. Not deep, but quality, experienced players who've underachieved. The bright lights should do the Buckeyes some good.

Definitely.

This call might be a little early, but I'm seeing OSU as the team that could make a surprising B1G Tournament run. Not deep, but quality, experienced players who've underachieved. The bright lights should do the Buckeyes some good.

The fact that they have historically owned the BTT no matter where it is also lends itself to them making a run. Oddly enough, Buckeyes have over achieved in conference tournament and under achieved at the NCAA's. I want no part of the Buckeyes in DC.

Definitely.

I agree, all of those years of experience should equate to... something

Hopefully Gophers are in a spot where a loss is not embarrassing, or they can get an easy win.

This might be the year where the Gophers make a run in the BTT.

Projecting Ahead B1G Tournament Bracket: Gophers vs. Nebraska 7-10 game

Looking at all B1G games left on the schedule, here's how I'd project the final pairings/seedings. Projected records down the stretch:

Purdue (5-0)
Maryland (5-1)
Michigan (5-1)
Wisconsin (5-1)
Ohio State (3-1)
Iowa (3-2)
Michigan State (3-2)
Minnesota (3-3)
Northwestern (3-3)
Rutgers (1-3)
Nebraska (1-4)
Penn State (0-4)
Illinois (0-5)
Indiana (0-5)

#12 Indiana (5-13) vs. #13 Illinois (4-14), 3:30 (ESPN2)
#11 Penn State (6-12) vs. #14 Rutgers (3-15), 6 (BTN)

#8 Iowa (9-9) vs. #9 Ohio State (8-10), 11 (BTN)
#5 Northwestern (11-7) vs. Indiana/Illinois winner, 1:30 (BTN)
#7 GOPHERS (9-9) vs. #10 Nebraska (6-12), 5:30 (ESPN2)
#6 Michigan State (10-8) vs. Penn State/Rutgers winner, 8 (ESPN2)

#1 Purdue (15-3) vs. Iowa/Ohio State winner, 11 (ESPN)
#4 Michigan (11-7) vs. Northwestern/Indiana/Illinois winner, 1:30 (ESPN)
#2 Wisconsin (15-3) vs. GOPHERS/Nebraska winner, 5:30 (BTN)
#3 Maryland (14-4) vs. Michigan State/Penn State/Rutgers winner, 8 (BTN)

I think the Gophers will go 4-2 the rest of the way.

I just don't see your logic here, Michigan has to play Wisky, Purdue and Maryland. Plus us. That's four games where they won't be favored.

Michigan should go 2-4 or 3-3.

MSU should go 2-3.

This would leave the Gophers in 5th with a chance to catch NW if they go 2-4.

You are very optimistic on Michigan the rest of the way SS. They just won their first road game against Indiana, but you expect them to go 5-1 with 4 of those games on the road? The two home games are against Wisconsin and Purdue. I think 3-3 is more likely than 5-1. Michigan is a lot like the Gophers where they can play with anyone but they can also lose to anyone.

I think the Gophers and Michigan will both go 4-2 the rest of the way, Leaving both teams and Michigan Sate at 10-8. Does that move us to 5 based on overall record or move us to 6 based on the 2 loses to MSU?

I just don't see your logic here, Michigan has to play Wisky, Purdue and Maryland. Plus us. That's four games where they won't be favored.

If Gophers finish in 3-way tie with Michigan, and Michigan State, Sparty would get best seed (3-1 vs. Gophers/Michigan). Winner of Gophers/Michigan would be next in line.

Certainly a difficult closing stretch for Michigan. I hope they're not up to it, but I think they are.

You are very optimistic on Michigan the rest of the way SS. They just won their first road game against Indiana, but you expect them to go 5-1 with 4 of those games on the road? The two home games are against Wisconsin and Purdue. I think 3-3 is more likely than 5-1. Michigan is a lot like the Gophers where they can play with anyone but they can also lose to anyone.

Just a hunch. Pegging Purdue as Wolverines' lone loss. Hope the Gophers hang another one on 'em. Gophers/Michigan definitely a huge game for BTT and NCAA Tournament purposes, as is tonight.

Our mtch up with Michigan will be interesting are bigs should own them on the boards, but at the same time everyone on the floor for Michigan has the ability to hit from outside, when they are on its like facing five guards. Gophs will really need to bring it defensively these next two games. i think if we can get up in the first ten minutes of this one, unlike are passed opponents I don't think IU will have much fight in them. Bryant seems to have a lot of heart, but he can't pass the ball to himself. i wouldn't underestimate the Huskers now that Morrow is back, they'll be a tough out, Penn State seems like a complete wild card at this point on the road.

Our mtch up with Michigan will be interesting are bigs should own them on the boards, but at the same time everyone on the floor for Michigan has the ability to hit from outside, when they are on its like facing five guards. Gophs will really need to bring it defensively these next two games. i think if we can get up in the first ten minutes of this one, unlike are passed opponents I don't think IU will have much fight in them. Bryant seems to have a lot of heart, but he can't pass the ball to himself. i wouldn't underestimate the Huskers now that Morrow is back, they'll be a tough out, Penn State seems like a complete wild card at this point on the road.

Expecting the unexpected has almost become the norm this year in B1G. Just when we count someone out, or just when we think a team has figured everything out, the opposite happens.

That's why I wouldn't put it past Gophers losing to Penn State or Nebraska, or beating Maryland or Wisconsin. There's probably a few more surprises left in the season.

Projecting Michigan to go 5-1 is pretty out there. I understand they can do it but crazy to project that, although I appreciate someone going against the norm. I don't think anyone goes 0-for the rest of the way out unless their name is Rutgers or Nebraska. Although, a February collapse where the coach loses the team is usually what leads to coaching changes (guessing that is what you're implying with Groce & Crean).

I expect Maryland to sputter a bit (hopefully to us) and maybe have a bad loss.

Would be delighted with a 4-2 stretch to end it as that would put us securely in the dance in my opinion.

Bracket/Pairings (through Feb. 15): Gophers Inch Closer To Double-Bye

The Gophers have inched within a game of the double-bye and a #4 seed. Must finish ahead of Michigan State, however. Sparty moves ahead of Northwestern for the #4 seed, but it's likely temporary. Sparty @ Purdue this weekend, Wildcats host Rutgers. Though if Scottie Lindsey remains out, I'd give Scarlet Knights a puncher's chance in Evanston.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/2017bttbracket.pdf

#12 Indiana (5-9) vs. #13 Illinois (4-9), 3:30 (ESPN2)
#11 Ohio State (5-9) vs. #14 Rutgers (2-12), 6 (BTN)

#5 Northwestern (8-5) vs. Indiana/Illinois winner, 1:30 (BTN)
#6 GOPHERS (7-6) vs. Ohio State/Rutgers winner, 8 (ESPN2)

#4 Michigan State (8-5) vs. Northwestern/Indiana/Illinois winner, 1:30 (ESPN)
#3 Maryland (10-3) vs. GOPHERS/Ohio State/Rutgers winner, 8 (BTN)

FSS who should Gophers fans be rooting for tonight, Wisconsin or Michigan?

It doesn't matter much to be honest. Either result at this point won't move our RPI much at all.

General school of thought would be you would want the team to win who you are going to beat so you're beating a tougher opponent. Or, you want the team to win who you already beat. Or you want to win who you play twice instead of just once so your SOS is tougher.

If we would beat Michigan and lose to WI, we want Michigan to win.
If we are losing to both, we want WI to win.
If we are winning both, we want WI to win.
If we are only beating WI and losing to MI, we want WI to win.
If we had already beat WI, we would want WI to win.
But even with us already losing to WI we want WI to win because it makes our schedule tougher if we played higher seeded WI twice and MI only once.

I would say Michigan and hope for a post-win letdown following the upset. It probably won't matter though, Gophers should be favored at home in any case.

Gophers should be jumping out of the gym to win on Sunday in either case.

Thanks for doing this SS. My motto every year is to try and get to Saturday of the B1GT. It's been a while since we've been there, but I think this team has a chance. They seem to play better away from home(Michigan State game not withstanding)

Thanks for doing this SS. My motto every year is to try and get to Saturday of the B1GT. It's been a while since we've been there, but I think this team has a chance. They seem to play better away from home(Michigan State game not withstanding)

Agree.

Get to the semifinals and you're relevant, though I've always thought easily the most exciting day of the B1G Tournament is Quarterfinal Friday. Gophers have advanced to the semifinals on only 4 occasions:

1998 (inaugural BTT)
2005 (semifinals)
2008 (semifinals, the Hoffarber year)
2010 (finals)

2010 was the last time the Gophers won multiple games at the BTT. It's been too da*n long.

Don't think it matters much, but I'll go with Michigan. With a strong finish the Wolverines (even with Gophers beating them) could end up in the RPI top 50. Wouldn't mind if the Gophers bagged another top-50 win before Washington, D.C.

Don't think it matters much, but I'll go with Michigan. With a strong finish the Wolverines (even with Gophers beating them) could end up in the RPI top 50. Wouldn't mind if the Gophers bagged another top-50 win before Washington, D.C.

If Wisconsin loses to Michigan, it really starts to make the Big Ten look weak at the top. The NW win over Wisconsin didn't help us much.
As much as we all hate WI, having only one or two teams in the top 25 polls is probably a bad thing.

That would matter more in terms of gut-feel (polls and eye test) vs Michigan being a top 50 win which would help RPI / math equations based analysis. Gophers need more help from a gut-feel than any RPI numbers at this point.

Just my opinion.

The Gophers have inched within a game of the double-bye and a #4 seed. Must finish ahead of Michigan State, however. Sparty moves ahead of Northwestern for the #4 seed, but it's likely temporary. Sparty @ Purdue this weekend, Wildcats host Rutgers. Though if Scottie Lindsey remains out, I'd give Scarlet Knights a puncher's chance in Evanston.

#12 Indiana (5-9) vs. #13 Illinois (4-9), 3:30 (ESPN2)
#11 Ohio State (5-9) vs. #14 Rutgers (2-12), 6 (BTN)

#5 Northwestern (8-5) vs. Indiana/Illinois winner, 1:30 (BTN)
#6 GOPHERS (7-6) vs. Ohio State/Rutgers winner, 8 (ESPN2)

#4 Michigan State (8-5) vs. Northwestern/Indiana/Illinois winner, 1:30 (ESPN)
#3 Maryland (10-3) vs. GOPHERS/Ohio State/Rutgers winner, 8 (BTN)

I see no chance for the Gophers to get to the 4 seed unless they go 4-1 the rest of the way. We own the tie-break vs. Northwestern but MSU would have to really play bad the rest of the way to make up for their (2) game lead on us in the standings.

5th is best realistic hope and that would most likely happen if MSU finished 4th. Finishing 5th would give us our best chance of winning 2 tournament games too.

Agree that #5 seed probably best scenario for Gophers & that 10-8 most likely for Michigan State, but 9-9 for Sparty is possible. Still a young team that hasn't figured out how to play on the road (except vs. Gophers without Bridges, of course). @ Purdue, Wisconsin, @ Maryland all games I wouldn't be surprised if Sparty lost. That's 8 losses. Then it's just a matter of crapping the bed at home vs. a now full-strength Nebraska or @ talented but underachieving Illinois. Pressure can do strange things to teams, especially ones on the bubble.

Devils advocate: I could see MSU upsetting Purdue, Wisconsin and Maryland. Even winning two of three.

Koenig is out tonight for their game against Michigan.

Top Bottom