1994 MN v IN the blow out

One of my all-time favorite days in the Barn! Even though it was a blow out of epic proportions, I remember that it felt like everyone was still there at the end.

Ernest Nzigamasabo.... loved that name.

Only time I can ever remember Bobby giving up, and Clem coached like his life was on the line until the last buzzer. Really good day. Let's repeat tomorrow!

I remember walking by Williams that game and it sounded like the building was going to come off the foundation.

Is this the game where Randy Carter basically assaulted Pat Knight in front of the IU bench?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wow, 23 years ago!?!?! Good memories, I was sitting in Caesar's sports book area in Lake Tahoe watching that game during a ski trip.

Audio is Hoosier radio, so, audio does not match video. At the 1:15:30 mark there is a segment on the 1994 McDonald's All Americans, pretty cool. A few big names and many names I've never heard of.

I just checked the box score. The Gophers shot 64% with 32 assists! Lenard went off for 35, with 6 of Minnesota's 11 treys. What a glorious day!

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/28/s...osiers-humiliated-worst-loss-in-89-years.html

Minnesota 106, Indiana 56

There were no outbursts, no tirades, not even a mild flare-up from Bobby Knight, who was witnessing the low point of his 22 seasons as Indiana's coach.

There was simply resignation -- a wince here, a slump there, an occasional hand covering his eyes -- as his No. 12-ranked Hoosiers lost, 106-56, to No. 20 Minnesota in Minneapolis yesterday.

It was Indiana's worst defeat in 89 years. The loss was the biggest for the Hoosiers since a 66-12 defeat at Ohio State on March 12, 1905.

"It isn't how they played today, it's how the team plays from this point on," said Knight, whose worst loss at Indiana previously had been the Hoosiers' 83-52 defeat at Michigan in 1986. "Any time you play, you have to learn something."

The Hoosiers (17-6 over all, 10-4 in the Big Ten) were riding a three-game winning streak and had hopes of overtaking Michigan for the Big Ten title. Minnesota (19-9, 9-6) seemed to be slumping after losing two straight lackluster games.

But the Gophers received a career-high 35 points from Voshon Lenard on 13-of-17 shooting. Minnesota had six players in double figures, hit 11 3-pointers -- a school record -- and shot 64 percent.

"Nobody can predict a game like this," said Randy Carter, a Minnesota forward who scored 10 points after getting benched in his team's 85-68 loss Wednesday to Michigan State. "But we got beat by 46 at Bloomington once and that always stuck in the back of our minds."

The game stayed close until midway through the first half, when Minnesota turned a 6-point lead into a 32-point halftime margin.

Indiana trailed, 25-19, with 10 minutes 7 seconds left in the half before unraveling. Minnesota launched runs of 13-0 and 15-3 en route to scoring 31 of the final 36 points of the period.

Arriel McDonald began the tear with a 3-pointer. Carter then hit two straight layups and Chad Kolander got a dunk. After another basket by Carter, Lenard capped the spurt with a monster slam that put the Gophers up, 38-19.

The Hoosiers went 3 of 12 to close the half. They got their last field goal of the period with 4:42 remaining.

"The game was over after about 10 minutes," Knight said. "They did the things they are capable of. There are some things that happened early in the game that just eliminated us."

Indiana shot only 37 percent against Minnesota. Alan Henderson, averaging 17.6 points this season, went 0 for 1 from the floor and played only six minutes. Damon Bailey scored 10 of Indiana's first 12 points but finished with only 13 and sat out the second half. He was the only Hoosier in double figures.

I remember it well. Seeing Bobby Knight depressed was fun.

That was a pretty talented Gopher team. This team lost in the second round to Louisville right?

We had seats directly across from the IU bench and I remember waiting for and being disappointed that Knight didn't blow a gasket.

Top Bottom