Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by joshvanklomp View Post
    Does that mean you'll credit Claeys with any attendance jumps that happen this season?
    I'm certainly not getting credit....

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Don't confuse butts in the seats with the quality of football on the field. There is almost zero correlation. Keep pushing your agenda, though.

The reason Fleck was brought in was because Coyle wanted to make his own hire for the football coach. It doesn't need any rationalization beyond that. It's very simple and straightforward.
    BS. The attendance for the Northwestern game was embarrassing and it wasn't only because of the ticket price increase or the weather. It was directly related to the team's on field performance up to that point. You want butts in the seats? Then beat someone who matters.

Yup, if the Gophers fanbase is known for anything, it's known for being full of fans who care only about wins and losses. You nailed it! You're such an awesome poster!
    The point isn't about the Gopher fans who are fans right now.
    It's about the 3 million non-fans who need to become fans of our University, then of football.

Right now the sentiment about the U is probably below the levels that it should be.

What does it say when you have Wisconsinites who go to college at the U, but wear Badger apparel.

Why are they more proud of a University they don't go to than one they do go to?

What does that say about a person and what does it say about the school itself?

Don't confuse butts in the seats with the quality of football on the field. There is almost zero correlation. Keep pushing your agenda, though.

The reason Fleck was brought in was because Coyle wanted to make his own hire for the football coach. It doesn't need any rationalization beyond that. It's very simple and straightforward.

Well, and publicly, the University was a total embarrassment. Let's not forget about that little fact.

Quote Originally Posted by beatles View Post
    BS. The attendance for the Northwestern game was embarrassing and it wasn't only because of the ticket price increase or the weather. It was directly related to the team's on field performance up to that point. You want butts in the seats? Then beat someone who matters.
    If our fanbase refuses to show up if we narrowly beat a bad Big 10 team the week before, they'll never show up.

That's an absolutely insane reason not to show up to games. There are tons of teams who have close games with bad teams. We went 9-4 last year. If our fanbase is already at a point where they are "meh" on the kind of 9-4 record we accomplish, we are the most delusional group of fans on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by 37score View Post
    Well, and publicly, the University was a total embarrassment. Let's not forget about that little fact.
    Well yeah, I think it's probably hard for people to give money run by that idiot and an athletic department run by that spineless coward, but I don't really know if that drives attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    If our fanbase refuses to show up if we narrowly beat a bad Big 10 team the week before, they'll never show up.

That's an absolutely insane reason not to show up to games. There are tons of teams who have close games with bad teams. We went 9-4 last year. If our fanbase is already at a point where they are "meh" on the kind of 9-4 record we accomplish, we are the most delusional group of fans on the planet.
    Gopher fans want wins against UW, Iowa, Nebraska, and Michigan. Those wins make people pay attention. Beat those teams and the fans will show up. Lose to those teams but beat the Rutgers, Purdues, and Marylands of the conference and they won't.

So why even try, right?

Quote Originally Posted by joshvanklomp View Post
    That was exactly my point. Not even one of the best records in 50 years could get butts in the seats.
    You clearly don't understand the word "correlation".

It was directly related to the team's on field performance up to that point.
    Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 37score View Post
    The point isn't about the Gopher fans who are fans right now.
    It's about the 3 million non-fans who need to become fans of our University, then of football.

Right now the sentiment about the U is probably below the levels that it should be.

What does it say when you have Wisconsinites who go to college at the U, but wear Badger apparel.

Why are they more proud of a University they don't go to than one they do go to?

What does that say about a person and what does it say about the school itself?
    It says a lot about the person, and says nothing about the school itself, other than its location in a major metropolitan area with a ton of opportunity that they can't get in their backwards sh1thole state.

Sorry, the weather played quite a factor. I'm as guilty as anyone else and I'll fess up to it. I flew into town that weekend, from halfway across the country, to visit some friends who are also Gopher fans (perhaps not hardcore) and we did not go to the game because of the weather. It was sh!tty, plain and simple, and the prospect of driving through MSP downtown traffic on icy roads and sh!tty weather was just enough to swing the needle.
    "Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual." - John Winger

It says a lot about the person, and says nothing about the school itself, other than its location in a major metropolitan area with a ton of opportunity that they can't get in their backwards sh1thole state.
    what does it say about that person?

14. Default

Well yeah, I think it's probably hard for people to give money run by that idiot and an athletic department run by that spineless coward, but I don't really know if that drives attendance.
    Yeah definitely not the product on the field but it's definitely Kaler and Coyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogee Oglethorpe View Post
    Sorry, the weather played quite a factor. I'm as guilty as anyone else and I'll fess up to it. I flew into town that weekend, from halfway across the country, to visit some friends who are also Gopher fans (perhaps not hardcore) and we did not go to the game because of the weather. It was sh!tty, plain and simple, and the prospect of driving through MSP downtown traffic on icy roads and sh!tty weather was just enough to swing the needle.
    Then you and your friends are pathetic. The weather wasn't bad that day. It was cold, but dry.