Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fox 9 Video: P.J. Fleck hopes to make new Gophers fans by getting them to 'RTB'

per Fox 9:

Go Gophers!!

2. Default

rows boat

Refreshing to see these positive changes which will reach more than die-hard football fans whose biggest concern is how many games will be won this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 37score View Post
    Refreshing to see these positive changes which will reach more than die-hard football fans whose biggest concern is how many games will be won this year.
    Are you Killjoy reincarnated for the PJ Fleck era?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post

Fleck's energy is just what this program and fan base needs. I know every year when I renew my Vikings/ Gopher
    tickets that what they are selling is hope. We want to believe this will be the year they finally win the Super Bowl/ Rose Bowl. He is a salesman but I think he can back it up. I will be RTB.

Quote Originally Posted by GringaGopher View Post
    Fleck's energy is just what this program and fan base needs. I know every year when I renew my Vikings/ Gopher
    tickets that what they are selling is hope. We want to believe this will be the year they finally win the Super Bowl/ Rose Bowl. He is a salesman but I think he can back it up. I will be RTB.
    I have lots of hope and I do think Fleck's style has a very good chance at being very successful here. I'm certainly rooting for him to do well. I like his overall mantra and beliefs, I just sometimes have a hard time with the delivery. I think it's due to my natural aversion to car salesman.

37Score's crush on Fleck just reminded me a little bit about how much Killjoy loved Kill. I appreciate the enthusiasm even if I'm not in full agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post

I don't know who Killjoy is.

I'm just hear because of Fleck mainly.
    After that embarrassing issues and the public's outrage about the program, I'm happy to see a coach who realizes it's more than just football to win over the Minnesota fans.

Fleck gets it. I hope he's successful.

To me, this is the biggest part of the culture change that is going to happen. It isn't about saying that the on-field accomplishments or academic achievements under the previous regime weren't positives for the program. Those fans close to the program (us here) know about those things. But how does that resonate with people outside the program who aren't as dialed in? What are their impressions of the program?

Over the last six months, if you ask someone on the street about Gophers football, what do you think is the first thing that comes to mind? Probably the biggest thing that has hit the news in that time. Like it or not, that is the impression of the program to the average person. And it's not like the on-field product was bringing in the fans either. Talk all we want about 9 wins yadda yadda, but it hasn't gotten butts in the seats. We had the lowest average attendance for the program since 2002. Lower than what both Rutgers and Illinois averaged.

This is a big reason why he was brought in. Yes, he needs to win games during his time here. But at the same time, it's about more than that. The University of Minnesota's football program is a brand. A brand that needs a boost to its image. Not for the hardcore fans who will be invested no matter what. But to Joe Schmo who is undecided about whether he wants his name attached to the university and its football program.

PJ Fleck put Western Michigan University on the college football map. He boosted the brand, both in and around Kalamazoo and nationally. Not just because of the on-the-field product, but because of the RTB culture.
    Last edited by joshvanklomp; 02-15-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Yup, if the Gophers fanbase is known for anything, it's known for being full of fans who care only about wins and losses. You nailed it! You're such an awesome poster!

Quote Originally Posted by joshvanklomp View Post
    To me, this is the biggest part of the culture change that is going to happen. It isn't about saying that the on-field accomplishments or academic achievements under the previous regime weren't positives for the program. Those fans close to the program (us here) know about those things. But how does that resonate with people outside the program who aren't as dialed in? What are their impressions of the program?

Over the last six months, if you ask someone on the street about Gophers football, what do you think is the first thing that comes to mind? Probably the biggest thing that has hit the news in that time. Like it or not, that is the impression of the program to the average person. And it's not like the on-field product was bringing in the fans either. Talk all we want about 9 wins yadda yadda, but it hasn't gotten butts in the seats. We had the lowest average attendance for the program since 2002. Lower than what both Rutgers and Illinois averaged.

This is a big reason why he was brought in. Yes, he needs to win games during his time here. But at the same time, it's about more than that. The University of Minnesota's football program is a brand. A brand that needs a boost to its image. Not for the hardcore fans who will be invested no matter what. But to Joe Schmo who is undecided about whether he wants his name attached to the university and its football program.

PJ Fleck put Western Michigan University on the college football map. He boosted the brand, both in and around Kalamazoo and nationally. Not just because of the on-the-field product, but because of the RTB culture.
    Don't confuse butts in the seats with the quality of football on the field. There is almost zero correlation. Keep pushing your agenda, though.

The reason Fleck was brought in was because Coyle wanted to make his own hire for the football coach. It doesn't need any rationalization beyond that. It's very simple and straightforward.
    Last edited by dpodoll68; 02-15-2017 at 05:20 AM.

11. Default

I don't know who Killjoy is.

I'm just hear because of Fleck mainly.
    After that embarrassing issues and the public's outrage about the program, I'm happy to see a coach who realizes it's more than just football to win over the Minnesota fans.

Fleck gets it. I hope he's successful.
    The couple dozen worthless protesters equals the public being outraged?

If you are here just because of Fleck.... are you his wife or just a troll he keeps locked in the basement to post positive things on sports message boards? Is he paying you?
    Who hates iowa?

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    The couple dozen worthless protesters equals the public being outraged?

If you are here just because of Fleck.... are you his wife or just a troll he keeps locked in the basement to post positive things on sports message boards? Is he paying you?
    Everything is a public outrage now.

Coffee machine at work is broken today....

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Don't confuse butts in the seats with the quality of football on the field. There is almost zero correlation.
    That was exactly my point. Not even one of the best records in 50 years could get butts in the seats.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by joshvanklomp View Post
    That was exactly my point. Not even one of the best records in 50 years could get butts in the seats.
    Eeeh, it was a strange year for 9 wins, followed a stinky year where the face of the team left and attendance usually lags behind Ws.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Eeeh, it was a strange year for 9 wins, followed a stinky year where the face of the team left and attendance usually lags behind Ws.
    Does that mean you'll credit Claeys with any attendance jumps that happen this season?