CBS: NIT rule changes to test counting fouls if games were quarters, not halves

BleedGopher

Reaction score
While the NIT rule change hopefully won't apply to us this season (or ever!), this could be a test for a rule change down the road. Per CBS:

There has been serious discussion of having four 10-minute quarters replace the current format of two 20-minute halves for men's college basketball games in order to get in line with most every other level of basketball in the world.

The idea apparently has some momentum as the NCAA announced Monday some experimental rule changes for this year's NIT that seem to be a nod toward determining what impact playing quarters instead of halves would have on the game.

The biggest change to take effect during the NIT is resetting team fouls to zero at the end of 10-minute segments during each half, the NCAA said in a statement announcing several experimental rule changes.

"The committee believes resetting the team fouls to zero at the 9:59 mark of each half may have the same effect as resetting the team fouls to zero at the end of each quarter, while at the same time allowing for men's college basketball to retain the unique format of two 20-minute halves," the NCAA statement said.

In these 31 NIT games, after a team commits its fifth personal or technical foul in each 10-minute segment (and all fouls after that), the other team will shoot two free throws - essentially dividing the game into four quarters when it comes to how team fouls are counted, but not changing how the game itself is is timed.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ting-fouls-if-games-were-quarters-not-halves/

Go Gophers!!

sorry, but I need 1 and 1's. That's one of the many things I don't like about the NBA is the 2 free throws for the bonus.

Why not just increase the penalty thresholds. If it's 6 today (can't remember if you shoot 1-1s on 6 or 7) make it 10 and if 10 is double bonus make that 15....

What's the goal here? To eliminate free throws or stoppage of play?

I don't like change but I'm not completely opposed. Lost in West Virginia's melt down last night was how many double bonus free throws were taken in the final 3 minutes. I almost went to bed with 1:05 left because I knew it would be 20 minutes of free throws. This rule wouldn't necessarily change the end of game pace, but watching that ending without caring who won was like watching paint dry.

I feel like I aged 50 years with this post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just go to 4 quarters like the international and women's game.

There is one less media time out each 1/2 (the women do a media after halfway through each quarter), and there are 2 extra end of the clock chances.

Top Bottom