Who are the top five dunkers in last 20 years of Gophers basketball?

GopherLady

Reaction score

I wouldn't put Murphy in the top 5. Wally, Austin, Buggs and Coleman would all be ahead for me. In fact I'd say Amir is the best dunker on this years team.

Hard to argue with Marcus' list. Aren't really many other options. Bauer could fly before injuries set in.

1 Rodney and 2 Sam I Am are a cut above. Trevor was brute strength.

1. Sam Jacobsen
2. Rodney Williams
3. Trevor MBakwe
4. Vincent Grier
5. Amir Coffey

Ray Williams will always be my favorite Gopher dunker.

Cant argue with that list. Rodney's ft putback slam was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Man.... Those Tubby Teams, I loved them so much. To think of all that size those teams had, makes this year's team look like a bunch of children (outside of Reggie)...

What is with the linked video for Jacobson....couldn't find anything from his Gopher days?

Williams and Jacobson are the easy 1-2. After them there could be plenty of debate I suppose. I just don't know if I can respect a blog about dunks that doesn't include this one.....

Current team? Murphy, Coffey, and Dupree.

Rodney Williams is number one. He made it look so effortless. Though, Jacobson's slam vs. Clemson in the 97 tourney is probably the only time I've ever jumped out of my chair watching a basketball game.

I'm sad nobody said Bobby Jackson. Probably had the best Gopher dunk I've ever seen...although it was in the Pulley league.

Dark Horse nominee: Terrance Simmons. T-Sim threw down a lot of nice long jump one handers. If I recall he was only about 6'3". He would take off from so far out it looked like he was going to embarrass himself and come up way short. He always hammered them home though. He had some other dunks as well including one spectacular two hander when he dribbled behind his back the threw down over an opposing guard.

#1 has to be Rodney Williams - hands down. He was good for at least one highlight every game...and considering he couldn't really dribble or shoot that was quite amazing. At times, I swear he was using Flubber.

Rodney clear number one and Sam clear number two. Then it depends if you like the thunder power dunks like mbakwe or the high flying finesse dunks. One guy I remember who could throw down a dunk was Rolando Brooks. Any of you remember him?

Rolando played back in the early 80's along with a pretty good guard who could shoot the lights out but doesn't get mentioned much on the gopher hole - Tommy Davis.

Charles Buggs was baffling. You would see him in warm ups and he looked like a kid that should be all world with his height and athletic ability but then he couldn't transfer it to the court.

Catching a glimpse of RS3 on those Mbakwe highlights made my blood pressure go up. Also seeing Rodney had the same response.

Glen Robinson III won the NBA dunk contest tonight. Just makes you realize how athletic Rodney was as I don't think anyone would have argued Robinson was a better dunker than Rodney in the Big Ten.

A little outside the 20 year limit but Jayson Walton had some very nice dunks before he messed his knees up.

I wouldn't put Murphy in the top 5. Wally, Austin, Buggs and Coleman would all be ahead for me. In fact I'd say Amir is the best dunker on this years team.

Wally? Coleman? Seriously? Wally played like 2 minutes for us. I remember him missing a few dunks and don't remember him doing any that were noteworthy. Coleman also missed a ton of dunks and his dunk attempts weren't actually that impressive or exciting.

Glen Robinson III won the NBA dunk contest tonight. Just makes you realize how athletic Rodney was as I don't think anyone would have argued Robinson was a better dunker than Rodney in the Big Ten.

Rodney would've been a respectable NBA dunk contest contestant as a high schooler. It's not fair when you have pogo sticks for legs though.

I remember watching video of warmups , with a camera angle from below the hoop during layups. The camera didn't follow the players; but just caught them as the entered the frame to dunk or lay it in. Every time Rodney came in he was floating about 2 feet higher than anybody else. The dude was an effortless jumper. Just soared.

Top Bottom