Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    I always find the S&C stuff interesting.

I knew someone on the team during the transition from Mason to Brewster. He said the S&C training went from tough to brutal. He said the entire team was almost embarrassed by how much they struggled with the new coach (forget the coach's name).

Then when Kill took over w/ Klein, there were a lot of similar comments the players were making. Really made me wonder if that meant Mason's guy was super soft, or if it's just different emphasis for each one and because of that it seems more difficult?

It'll be interesting to see if it's more, harder training or different emphasis (such as increased flexibility and speed instead of strength) or what.

I just know I'd be out of breath after the "long" walk from the locker room to the practice field, let alone any work outs...
    I remember this well and always wondered what was going on. Perhaps Mason's guy was better as he seemed to have fewer injuries. I do believe that everyone's body has a limit as to what it can do. If you force the body, it will have issues.

The other thing is where you put the emphasis during S&C can change how "hard" it is for players. Some people do really well with Strength training and not well at conditioning, while others are the opposite. It could be that its hard going from one focused more on conditioning to one focused strength, or vice versa and that's whats been happening the past few coaching changes. Just my 2 cents.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    I remember this well and always wondered what was going on. Perhaps Mason's guy was better as he seemed to have fewer injuries. I do believe that everyone's body has a limit as to what it can do. If you force the body, it will have issues.
    Perhaps. Mason has also stated he recruited the guys who played multiple sports. I'm too lazy to look it up and support this, but I have read that multi-sport athletes have less injuries than one sport athletes.

4. Default

What was most disappointing with TC and Klein, was that both offensive and defensive lines simply were not physical. They simply didn't win the individual battles up front. So I am very excited with a new S and C coach and hoping for great results. There's a reason why Iowa's offensive line was rated the top offensive line this past year, an extension of Chris Dole, their S and C coach. Also explains why they have several offensive linemen in the NFL. Not because they recruited a bunch of 5 stars.

Default Paging Husker 70

Quote Originally Posted by Taji34 View Post
    The other thing is where you put the emphasis during S&C can change how "hard" it is for players. Some people do really well with Strength training and not well at conditioning, while others are the opposite. It could be that its hard going from one focused more on conditioning to one focused strength, or vice versa and that's whats been happening the past few coaching changes. Just my 2 cents.
    This is right down Huskers alley! IMHO It appeared that Mason looked for athletic, agile/ flexible linemen. He wanted them to be able to move well so that they could be quick enough to get to the next level and actually block linebackers and db's. The problem with this is some lacked power. This was evident when the team would need one to three yards to ice a game and they sometimes struggled to get a solid push. The flipside is it was fun to see the running back behind a convoy usually led by the likes of Eslinger, Setterstrom, Hamilton, Brinkhaus(sp?), etc., etc.

Brewster was looking for those earthmovers, but I think he was kind a caught between a few schemes. The big JUCO player he brought in from Lackawanna CC(?) comes to mind(his dad used to post here). The staff just didn't have enough time with him, and he wasn't in BigTen shape. Can't teach 6'8" and north of 325 though(See Pirsig).

Kill's staff seemed to be going back a little toward Mason's point of view. Bigger and stronger, but somewhat lean. Strong, but not necessarily powerful.

Just my totally uninformed two cents.

I'm not saying that strength and conditioning is not important - it is very important.
    And, I understand there are different approaches and philosophies - free weights vs. machines, quick-twitch work vs. endurance, etc.

But, I think people put too much emphasis - or maybe just too much hope - that a new S & C coach is going to come in with some magic system that will fix all the (perceived) problems in the program. Can't gain 2 yards on 3rd-and-1 - new S & C coach will fix it. Getting outscored in 4th qtr - new S & C coach will fix it, etc. etc. etc.

And now, 20 surgeries in the off-season - new S & C coach will fix it. Maybe - I say maybe - a different approach might have some impact - but it's football - a game of violent collisions and sudden impacts. People are going to get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I'm not saying that strength and conditioning is not important - it is very important.
    And, I understand there are different approaches and philosophies - free weights vs. machines, quick-twitch work vs. endurance, etc.

But, I think people put too much emphasis - or maybe just too much hope - that a new S & C coach is going to come in with some magic system that will fix all the (perceived) problems in the program. Can't gain 2 yards on 3rd-and-1 - new S & C coach will fix it. Getting outscored in 4th qtr - new S & C coach will fix it, etc. etc. etc.

And now, 20 surgeries in the off-season - new S & C coach will fix it. Maybe - I say maybe - a different approach might have some impact - but it's football - a game of violent collisions and sudden impacts. People are going to get hurt.
    Great points! I will add one thing that hasn't been discussed. It is the importance of the S&C coach's ability to assist with off-season workouts/drills, running of plays, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack jones View Post
    What was most disappointing with TC and Klein, was that both offensive and defensive lines simply were not physical. They simply didn't win the individual battles up front. So I am very excited with a new S and C coach and hoping for great results. There's a reason why Iowa's offensive line was rated the top offensive line this past year, an extension of Chris Dole, their S and C coach. Also explains why they have several offensive linemen in the NFL. Not because they recruited a bunch of 5 stars.
    I agree with you on the OL.

I strongly disagree with you on the DL. Two of our better players in the entire Kill tenure were Hageman and Richardson.