Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JMWZ View Post
    I actually worked on a case where message board members were sued for something similar. In doing research I found that it happens way more than you would think.
    In general, what kind of message board was it?

I love all GH'ers. Don't sue me for alienation of affection.
    I'll say it again...So many experts, so little expertise.

There are probably some nervous posters here, lol. You would only need to worry if you made claims about someone that were damaging in some significant way, without any factual or legal basis. For example, if one were to claim (in writing) they knew of one or more individuals raping someone without any existing conviction or charges having being brought that could be grounds for a case.
    "This isn't serious? LSU would motor boat us" -- Trudat
    Sept 3, 2016

4. Default

How soon before the WMU EOAA gets involved?
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash em Gophs! View Post
    At least we have some limits on here!
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with this.

OK - not a lawyer here - but to claim defamation, isn't it the case that you have to post information that you know to be false, with the intent to cause harm. It's one thing to speculate -you just can't knowingly post false statements. So, the key is being able to prove that the poster both A. posted false statements, and B. knew them to be false when he posted them.

If I'm wrong, hopefully Bob or one of the other (real) lawyers on here will set me straight. Just don't sue me. I'm counting on my tax refund to buy a new TV.

7. Default

All those folks talk'n trash about 9 wins not being good enough better get their checkbooks out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Don View Post
    I love all GH'ers. Don't sue me for alienation of affection.
    Don't worry Dr. Don. We've got more lawyers per capita than any other country.

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    XO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is bordering on sexual harassment.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    OK - not a lawyer here - but to claim defamation, isn't it the case that you have to post information that you know to be false, with the intent to cause harm. It's one thing to speculate -you just can't knowingly post false statements. So, the key is being able to prove that the poster both A. posted false statements, and B. knew them to be false when he posted them.

If I'm wrong, hopefully Bob or one of the other (real) lawyers on here will set me straight. Just don't sue me. I'm counting on my tax refund to buy a new TV.
    You don't necessarily have to prove intent. It depends whether you are talking about a private person or a public figure. When you are talking about a public figure you can pretty much say anything as long as you can provide even the tiniest reason that you believe it is true. That's partly why Fleck isn't a plaintiff in this lawsuit. It would be much more difficult for him to win than the woman who I assume is not considered a public figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakin' The Plane View Post
    This is bordering on sexual harassment.
    It's the new compassionate Spoofin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beetlejuice - Beetlejuice - Beetlejuice

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    All those folks talk'n trash about 9 wins not being good enough better get their checkbooks out!
    All those folks saying Fleck's not even capable of getting them above .500 better be standing right next to them!