Benny Sapp III Commits!

per Chip:

Sapp committed to Fleck as the first member of the Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class even though Sapp has not played football for two seasons after tearing the ACL in his knee twice.

Fleck took a leap of faith that Sapp will regain the form that made him a coveted cornerback as a freshman in Florida. And Sapp showed his appreciation for Fleck’s belief in him by verbally committing after meeting Fleck only a few weeks prior.

“To be honest with you, before Coach Fleck came, I was not thinking about Minnesota at all,” Sapp said. “Not even a little bit.”

Sapp might be one of the most intriguing high school players in the country. His father played part of three seasons for the Vikings in his eight-year NFL career.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...regaining-form-after-acl-surgeries/414172283/

Go Gophers!!

I really hope that PJF is able to have a good relationship with Tyrone Carter. The fiasco created by the recent sexual assault allegations seemed to really make TC sour on his connection to the U of MN. Regardless of your opinion on how that unfolded, having guys like TC, Damien Wilson, etc., advocating for your program is vitally important. And this is especially critical with TC who is as close to a legend, warrior and role model for young talent that we've produced in the past 30 years.

I really hope that PJF is able to have a good relationship with Tyrone Carter. The fiasco created by the recent sexual assault allegations seemed to really make TC sour on his connection to the U of MN. Regardless of your opinion on how that unfolded, having guys like TC, Damien Wilson, etc., advocating for your program is vitally important. And this is especially critical with TC who is as close to a legend, warrior and role model for young talent that we've produced in the past 30 years.

TC will be very important in trying to land Marquis Williams. From his instagram and twitter feed, he seems to already be working on that front.

Agreed. Having successful alumni with close ties to the program will make a huge impact moving forward. Very exciting to see Fleck going after big names and actually having a chance to land them. It seems like former coaching staffs have strayed away from those types just believing they never had a shot to begin with.

I hope those that were against the firing of TC sees how necessary that was now

If his tweets after the alumni event the other night are any indication, It seems like he's all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

How many Gopher athletes that came from out of state over the years ended up living in the Twin Cities eventually?

We need folks like TC and others to toot about the Gophers program.

TC's Sweatshirt is 'Elite'. Coincidence?

It's what we do here.

I do agree that the more selling we can get from ex players, the better off we will be. You start throwing players into the NFL and having them come back and sell your product, kids listen to that.

Somebody Get the Barber brothers integrated into the program like TC. Maroney as well! We have to show recruits that we have the ability to turn them into a success if they come here and put in the work.

Somebody Get the Barber brothers integrated into the program like TC. Maroney as well! We have to show recruits that we have the ability to turn them into a success if they come here and put in the work.

Can someone get Jay Carroll involved in recruiting?

Dom maybe, Maroney though.. not sure we want the drugs and weapons around the football team. I guess that was a few years back though so maybe no longer relevant but just saying.

Dom maybe, Maroney though.. not sure we want the drugs and weapons around the football team. I guess that was a few years back though so maybe no longer relevant but just saying.

I thought the gun charges were gone since he had the permits for them. Never heard about drug charges..

KSTP story on Benny Sapp III:

Eden Prairie cornerback Benjamin Sapp III, who goes by B.J., was the Gophers' first 2018 verbal commitment. KSTP Sports recently connected with Sapp III and his well-known trainers.

Sapp III's dad is former Vikings cornerback Benny Sapp, and dad's friend, Tyrone Carter, also helps in training. Carter played safety in the NFL for the Vikings, Steelers, Jets, Redskins, and Chargers. He's also a Gophers legend.

B.J. is coming back from two ACL injuries in his left knee, so he hasn't played football in two years. But came upon the national scene after his freshman year at St. Thomas Aquinas, a powerhouse in Fort Lauderdale. He was said to have held offers from Clemson, Florida, and other big-time universities.

http://kstp.com/sports/benny-sapp-iii-minnesota-gophers-commitment-tyrone-carter-trainer/4446283/

Go Gophers!!

This is quite a nice story. We get a pedigreed kid right in our own backyard whose dad was an Iowa Hawkeye! Ferenz is probably bum. It makes it even better that PJF got him to be the first commit for the Gophers in 2018.

He has good mentoring between Coach Grant, his dad, and Tyrone Carter.

Tyrone Carter - he's going to be instrumental in getting Florida kids up here as soon as the Gophers start making noise by winning.

He was pulled over cuz the cops smelled weed. The guns were legally owned and he got a misdemeanor charge for weed. Obviously not a smart thing to do but with Bill Walton calling national basketball games sounding baked like a dozen muffins I can't write him off permanently for weed

Just a small correction - his dad went to UNI so not a stinking Hawkeye.

Every time I click on this thread I'm holding my breath...really looking forward to seeing this guy play.

Every time I click on this thread I'm holding my breath...really looking forward to seeing this guy play.

Because of worrying that he may decommit or that he may get reinjured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His dad went to both Iowa and UNI. He is a stinking Hawkeye.

Sapp is the eighth Hawkeye football player to be charged with a violation of alcohol or drug laws in the past 11 months and the 10th high-profile Iowa athlete to be arrested during that time.

per Shama:

Eden Prairie’s football team starts practice August 14 and coach Mike Grant told Sports Headliners Gophers recruit Benny Sapp III is the best cornerback in the state. Sapp, a Florida transfer and son of former Viking defensive back Benny Sapp, has never played in a varsity game because of injuries but Grant has seen enough of the Eagles senior to rave about him.

“Most importantly, he’s just a great kid,” Grant said. “If he couldn’t play a lick, we would like to have him.”

Grant will also use Sapp, who has verbally committed to the Gophers, at receiver and as a return man. “He has tremendous speed and great hands,” Grant said.

Grant wants to get Sapp as “many touches” in games as possible. That was the mission two years ago with explosive running back and return man J.D. Spielman, a breakaway threat now on scholarship at Nebraska. “He (Sapp) is probably as fast as Spielman, or faster,” Grant said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Eden Prairie’s football team starts practice August 14 and coach Mike Grant told Sports Headliners Gophers recruit Benny Sapp III is the best cornerback in the state. Sapp, a Florida transfer and son of former Viking defensive back Benny Sapp, has never played in a varsity game because of injuries but Grant has seen enough of the Eagles senior to rave about him.

“Most importantly, he’s just a great kid,” Grant said. “If he couldn’t play a lick, we would like to have him.”

Grant will also use Sapp, who has verbally committed to the Gophers, at receiver and as a return man. “He has tremendous speed and great hands,” Grant said.

Grant wants to get Sapp as “many touches” in games as possible. That was the mission two years ago with explosive running back and return man J.D. Spielman, a breakaway threat now on scholarship at Nebraska. “He (Sapp) is probably as fast as Spielman, or faster,” Grant said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Currently a 3 star, hoping he has a great season and adds another star. I think he has a good chance if he is as good as his Coach says he is!

Not a big EP fan, but I'll make a point to go see a couple of their games this fall to watch Sapp.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Curious to see how Sapp performs on the field. Crazy that he has never played a varsity game and has scholarship offers.

Per Darren Wolfson on Twitter:

Benny Sapp III has reinjured his left knee, the same knee he has had two ACL repairs on.

Not good news. I hope that he heals.

Top Bottom