Specifically, what is your minimum threshold to call 2017 season a success?

No gang bangs making news

No worries. That was so the previous culture. The new culture is all about saving it for marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My minimum threshold of success never falls below this: over.500 in conference play and no worse than 1-1 against Iowa/Wisconsin. Given that Fleck is in his first year, reaching that level would absolutely be a success to me. We haven't met that modest threshold much during my lifetime, so hopefully this is the coach that starts doing it consistently. His record in year one or year two isn't near as important to me as how he sets up the program for consistent success.

Looking forward to seeing this thread at least 15 more times before the start of the season.

Somebody blasted me on another thread because I wrote GH folks were cynical. Gosh.

Realistically, I would say minimum of 7 wins. New coaching staff, new system, new QB - lot of variables. My personal desire is to see an offensive philosophy that carries through from the practice field to game day. I can't take another season of daily QB complaints on the Hole.
Ludicrous! Fleck was 13-1 last year so anything less than undefeated is a disappointment to me. If you're not going forward, you're going backwards!

From here on out only having 1 new 2017 season prediction thread per month, instead of 1 new one per week.

Agree. Regular season wins: 8 in 2017, 9 in 2018, and 10+ in 2019. Bowls: wins 2 of 3 in the next three seasons.

Honestly I don't think we are that far apart. My question to you would be if he wins 7 games in 2017, 7 games in 2018, and 9 games in 2019 would you fire him? "Success" is arbitrary - what are the stakes here? Personally, if he wins 5 games in 2017 I would not consider that a successful season, but if he followed that up with 7 in 2018 and then 9 in 2019 with improved recruiting, I would be pretty excited for the future.

I don't get the expectation that we should be better than last year. We will be starting a QB who has little to no game experience, we lost our 2 best O-lineman, what would have our starting 2 CBs, plus Travis. Not to mention a new staff, culture, and systems. 7 wins is probably about where we end up.

I don't get the expectation that we should be better than last year. We will be starting a QB who has little to no game experience, we lost our 2 best O-lineman, what would have our starting 2 CBs, plus Travis. Not to mention a new staff, culture, and systems. 7 wins is probably about where we end up.

Per the coach that would be an epic failure. Our expectations should line up with the coach's expectation.

Per the coach that would be an epic failure. Our expectations should line up with the coach's expectation.

Agree. No rebuild or transformation here. He told the seniors as much.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd say get the d@mn axe!

The rest is gravy train.

Agree. No rebuild or transformation here. He told the W seniors as much.

No one has said we need a rebuild. But just because we won 9 games last year doesn't mean the previous staff or any staff would necessarily win the same or more games with next year's roster. We lost some pretty significant players.

I must have missed it, what did Fleck give as expectations?
I'd be willing to bet that you won't hear him offer/predict any number of wins like TC did with his "8 to 10" (regular season wins) last year. No one had to put words in TC's mouth to do that. He did it himself. B/c when you offer a number, people are going to assume the higher number of the range as the definition of success and the lower end as minimum expectations. And, why put a limit on the upside? As a coach, be optimistic and go win the most games possible.

Yeah, not the same as predicting a win total.

exactly. Maybe some GHers think this way:

1. We won 9 games last year
2. Fleck told the seniors we aren't in rebuilding mold
3. Realistic expectations are 10 wins and the Rose Bowl

Yeah, not the same as predicting a win total.

Exactly and he just said on KFAN a few days ago he's not going to predict a win total. He's also said before that 'building' in season one can mean more off the field than on.

6+ would be successful. Lots of changes and new personnel in key positions. Expect a step back, but that is normal for a new coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you define "build on last year's record"? 8 wins is completely doable and that's my expectation.
I define it as using whatever success his predecessor had to the new regime's advantage in building his program from its start.

Exactly and he just said on KFAN a few days ago he's not going to predict a win total. He's also said before that 'building' in season one can mean more off the field than on.
TC exposed just how unprepared he was to be HC by putting a win total expectation on the season. Even highly successful head coaches don't do that b/c they know the pitfalls of such a forecast, let alone a newer HC with a new OC and OL coaches.
Optimism and competitive goals (maybe somewhat vague) yes. Specific number of wins, stupid.
I didn't have a problem with TC's goal of being in the fight for a division championship in November. Most West teams could make that claim.

He doesn't have to offer a specific win total. His exact words were "build on last years record". That means his expectation is we will improve on last years record. Pretty simple. His expectation is 9+ wins. That is where mine is as well.

He doesn't have to offer a specific win total. His exact words were "build on last years record". That means his expectation is we will improve on last years record. Pretty simple. His expectation is 9+ wins. That is where mine is as well.
That would be your mistake.

No it doesn't. Like I just said that he follows that up with how many young players are going to play the next few years and how they need to build his culture off the field. He hasn't said one thing about what he expects on the field.

I'd say 8 wins would be a success. 7 wins would be okay but a bit below expectations. If we can manage to win as many or more games than last year with a new coach and after losing some key players, that would be great.

Top Bottom