NCAA First Top 16 Seeds - No BIG TEN Teams

It does make me wonder if they consider the conference so weak that they only take 5 teams regardless of record. Need to finish 4-2 and win a game in the Big Ten Tourny to leave no doubt about making the Dance!

This was put out right after Wisconsin had to go to OT to beat Nebraska... Take it with a grain of salt. Also Wisconsin didn't really win against anyone major in the non-conference.

As for only 5 big ten teams making it? A lot can happen between now and then... like OKSt or Kansas St falling a few more times in the Big 12. They have to put somebody in the tournament.

It does make me wonder if they consider the conference so weak that they only take 5 teams regardless of record. Need to finish 4-2 and win a game in the Big Ten Tourny to leave no doubt about making the Dance!

When was the last time only 5 big ten teams made the tournament?

Win 3, and a big ten tournament game and its a lock... even without that tournament game its probably a lock

Have thought all along that the Gophers would go 10-8 and that is a lock. At least 6 teams and likely 7 will get in. The bubble is the weakest it has ever been as you have a shortage of quality in the mid majors like the A10 And the Mountain West that could get 3-5 teams in each are only getting one or two. UW probably passed Butler today. UW has not defeated anyone that is among the Elite. The conference went 5-17 against the ACC. Pitt is 12th in the ACC and has wins at Maryland by 15 ! They beat UVA in a game at Pitt. Duke is 5th in the ACC with 7 top 50 wins. Much of this will change. Gophs can get to the 5 line by running the table. The best part about this was the transparency of the process, zero bias for your rep, only considered the body of work. Look at Kenpom, it has far more insight into how you play and who you play and the efficiency of each team is revealed. Look who has beat who in the top 40. Look at defense and you will see why the Gophers are much better and why i screamed for defense from day one. Defense is sustainable and the best part is the Gophers can play it even better. It is more like UW's than in the past. Hell, this UW team struggles on offense at times but they play great defense and stayed in games they should have lost with defense. Gophers have versatile length and strong effort.

That the conference went 5-17 against the ACC is true, but to me this could be misleading. I find a stat like that meaningful at the time but less so now. I don't think the Big if they suddenly were to play the ACC 22 games would do the same thing. ACC would win but I might guess it would be 12-10, 13-9, or 14-8 depending on home court factors, particular matchups etc.

I wasn't too surprised by this. Wisconsin is 0-3 against their toughest 3 opponents(Creighton, UNC, Purdue). You could argue the Badgers best win is against us.

Purdue has a couple of bad losses on their resume(Iowa & Nebraska) So while they have better wins than Wisconsin they also have more bad losses. I think the ceiling for Wisconsin/Purdue is probably a 3 seed.

I wasn't too surprised by this. Wisconsin is 0-3 against their toughest 3 opponents(Creighton, UNC, Purdue). You could argue the Badgers best win is against us.

Purdue has a couple of bad losses on their resume(Iowa & Nebraska) So while they have better wins than Wisconsin they also have more bad losses. I think the ceiling for Wisconsin/Purdue is probably a 3 seed.

Wisconsin has also beat Syracuse, Oklahoma! 2 of last year's final four teams. Lost to UNC, and Creighton on the road when they were both at full strength. and on the road at Purdue.No bad losses..beat Indiana on the road before they got the injury bug. also beat Tennessee, and Georgetown. Winning at Neb is a big deal, Something Purdue failed at a week before. Wis got them at full strength unlike Purdue.

Wisconsin has also beat Syracuse, Oklahoma! 2 of last year's final four teams. Lost to UNC, and Creighton on the road when they were both at full strength. and on the road at Purdue.No bad losses..beat Indiana on the road before they got the injury bug. also beat Tennessee, and Georgetown. Winning at Neb is a big deal, Something Purdue failed at a week before. Wis got them at full strength unlike Purdue.

Yeah... Oklahoma is getting beat by everyone. The will likely end up 9-21 or 10-20 at best by the end of the year. Syracuse could very well miss the tournament with games left Lou x2, Duke and GT x2. They might only win 1 more game and end 17-14. Those wouldn't be the wins I'd point to if I were Wisc.

Edit: Wisc. resume is a lot like a mid major resume right now. You argue that @MN was a good win and know you have chances lover the last few weeks at home vs Northwestern, Maryland and Minnesota and @Michigan St to improve that record vs top 50.

Wisconsin totally should be in this group. Purdue too in my opinion.

Tourney Rank - Team - RPI - Top 25 Poll This Week / Last Week

1. Villanova - 2 - 2/4
2. Kansas - 3 - 3/3
3. Baylor - 1 - 2/6
4. Gonzaga - 5 - 1/1
5. North Carolina - 8 - 8/12
6 Florida State - 11- 14/15
7. Louisville - 4 - 4/6
8. Oregon - 7 - 5/13
9. Arizona - 6 - 9/5
10. Virginia - 13 12/9
11. Florida - 10 17/24
12. Kentucky - 9 - 15/8
13. Butler - 12 -22/16
14. West Virginia - 30 - 13/7
15. UCLA - 21 - 10/11
16. Duke - 16 - 18/21

Only top 16 RPI's not in.

Xavier and Cinci.

There is a very high correlation among RPI and tournament selection.
Not that we should be surprised by this anymore.

Top seedings tend to be a mix of RPI and top 25 poll.

Top Bottom