Pitino post Rutgers win: We're a really good team right now, and we're only going to

GopherLady

Reaction score
get better.

From his interview on 1500 with Mike Grimm and Spencer, not verbatim, as always:

• We were playing really good basketball right now, we came out and set the tone, being plus 10 on the glass against a good rebounding team. Mason is making big plays when we need him. Jordan Murphy is going and getting it. Really proud of them.
• To get to the rim? That's always our game plan, and I think we're really good at it. Overall, I just thought, we were pretty balanced for the most part (scoring wise) - you've got a good team when you've got that. We're a really good team right now, and we're only going to get better.
• 2nd chance points - we were really good at that, I believe we were at 20. From a D standpoint, we weren't getting back. Overall we made big FTs when we needed to, Nate missed that one, but he was exhausted.
• Let's not forget where we were at at this point last year. (Mike Grimm poked fun at him for saying this, as Pitino doesn't like it when media brings up last year.
• On Mason - he's playing like an all-conference guard. I've been telling him that since day 1, you're a little older, you're mentally tougher. I'm happy for him, because he's breaking through and carrying us right now.
• We've played a tough schedule, got 4 road wins, a lot to be extremely proud of, I hope our fans understand that and pack The Barn on Weds.

Forgot to post this...
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We can do no worse than 4-5 on the road this year. That has to be our best record in as long as I can remember.

We could have really made some noise in the Big Ten and started the BTT on Friday if we had defended our home court. O well, time to win these next 4 home games.

Nice win we had to have. If they finish the regular season at 4-2, should be a tournament lock.

They are a lock with 3 more conference wins.

I'll take four and leave nothing to chance. Would be great to hold home and knock off one of the big boys on the road. Nothing is for sure in this league this year.

No, w their RPI. 9-9 in the Big 10 is a lock. But that might be a 9th seed. 10-8 gets them to a 7th8th seed.

Yup. Three more wins seeding purposes.

Thanks Nadine - and thanks for posting the video! Thats a highlight for sure. How great is it to see Murphy back and playing like we know he can!

Pretty scary Wisconsin isn't in the top 16 seeds.

Pretty scary Wisconsin isn't in the top 16 seeds.

I disagree. I think it's more a testament to their lack of any quality wins than being down on the B1G. I think we have a very solid bubble record if we finish 9-9. We're not in any danger to have any sub-100 losses (maybe Nebraska but they're at RPI 81 right now) and we have nice wins (better than anything Wisconsin has). But I totally understand why it's a bit scary.

4 more conference wins, and we'd have the first season over .500 in conference play in...I'm not even sure how long.

We can do no worse than 4-5 on the road this year. That has to be our best record in as long as I can remember.

We could have really made some noise in the Big Ten and started the BTT on Friday if we had defended our home court. O well, time to win these next 4 home games.

Most conference road wins since going 4-4 on the road in conference in 2004-05. Tubby got us to 3 road wins once or twice.

Top Bottom