Dupree McBrayer

How can you guys watch these games and not realize we do not have even one consistent player on the roster. Murphy looked like he had never played basketball. Now he is all Big Ten first team the last two games. Nate has been all over the map with his performance...sometimes in the same game. We have nobody who you know what to expect from game to game. Konate might be our most consistent player this season. He makes few mistakes, defends, gets rebounds, make free throws, doesn't fumble away the gimmees most every single game. I can list Coffey, Springs, Curry, Lynch and Mc Brayer who all on a given night have made me wonder who they are what are they doing? It's just who these guys are right now. We are improving. The cool thing is on any given night one of these guys can step up and carry us. I'd argue every one of them has. McBrayer will return from the missing and wow us...it's who these guys are.

Its who all 18-21 year olds are. I think we have some very consistent players, accepting the noted caveat.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

He's shooting 37% from 3, which is pretty good. He handles ball well, and runs offense well. He's been inconsistent lately, as have a number of players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right...I just love seeing those off balance floaters. What's he shooting in the B1G from the 3?

Right...I just love seeing those off balance floaters. What's he shooting in the B1G from the 3?

30% in Big Ten play, a couple games he went 0-3 or 0-2, and then had three games in a row - PSU, MSU and Wisconsin - he was 100%. He's inconsistent as a sophomore. He's averaging under 1.5 turnovers a game, and 2.2 assists. Not bad for a "playground" player.

I like Dupree's attitude. He seems to be in a funk, but he always seems to be high energy. I really agree with what a couple of other posters said, I'm excited to see him in a role where he doesn't have to be counted on to handle the ball so much. .

My only complaint is he's not shooting the open 3 looks he's getting. They will run sets that result in him getting a great pass with plenty of space, and he tries the super delay pump fake which doesn't fool anyone, defender recovers, and he's driving into congestion. Let it fly!! 9 times out of 10 the 3 is going to be best look they will get.

How can you guys watch these games and not realize we do not have even one consistent player on the roster. Murphy looked like he had never played basketball. Now he is all Big Ten first team the last two games. Nate has been all over the map with his performance...sometimes in the same game. We have nobody who you know what to expect from game to game. Konate might be our most consistent player this season. He makes few mistakes, defends, gets rebounds, make free throws, doesn't fumble away the gimmees most every single game. I can list Coffey, Springs, Curry, Lynch and Mc Brayer who all on a given night have made me wonder who they are what are they doing? It's just who these guys are right now. We are improving. The cool thing is on any given night one of these guys can step up and carry us. I'd argue every one of them has. McBrayer will return from the missing and wow us...it's who these guys are.
Konate our most consistent? Today we yelled at the TV - "Oh no! Konate has the ball - someone help him quick!" Konate may have come to realize the limits of his talents better than anyone because he's the most limited.
But yes - this is the nature of the beast. We'll have to suffer through some pains with Coffey as he learns how to move beyond the limits of being a high school player and the guaranteed shot. So yes. It's the agony and ecstasy of the college game.

My only complaint is he's not shooting the open 3 looks he's getting. They will run sets that result in him getting a great pass with plenty of space, and he tries the super delay pump fake which doesn't fool anyone, defender recovers, and he's driving into congestion. Let it fly!! 9 times out of 10 the 3 is going to be best look they will get.

I agree with this statement. At least one of his turnovers today came because of his refusal to shoot an open 3. Dupree settles for a lot of contested mid range 2's which are the worst shot in basketball. That said, I am a big fan of this kid and believe he will turn things around. He's definitely struggled since the Wisconsin game, but he has the potential to be very good on both ends of the court. Today was especially rough, but a closer look at the Iowa game reveals he was the victim of some pretty bad luck. He was hacked on one of his turnover...Chris Paul turns the ball over if he's hacked like that and he was clearly fouled on a transition opportunity that he missed. His line easily could have been 3-5 from the field for 10 pts, a block, a steal, an asssist, and 2 turnovers. Instead he was 3-6 with 3 turnovers.

Me, too. Haven't seen that at all. He's struggling. It happens. Ebbs and flows of a season.

Same here.. I think his body language is just fine, he's just struggling. GopherHole loves to have a thread title after each game with a player name of who is supposedly "lost their way". Mason. Murphy. McBrayer. Basically, this team has lots of weapons and at different times, some guys will shine and others have a down game or two. The great thing is for the most part they all get through the down times, as will McBrayer.

Too say he has been a total liability since big ten play is false. He has had good and bad games as has every player. Lynch is a difference maker when he doesn't get early fouls. Yesterday Reggie fouled early. Mason was dominant against Purdue and then layed some eggs. Low motor Murph was struggling a lot two weeks ago but then high motor Murph has been on fire.

Good Lord.

Dupree is not a poor ball handler. He's actually a very competent back-up PG who is in a bit of a slump. His length and defense are always a plus.

And no, we do not miss Dorsey.

He's a fine ball handler until there is pressure on him, which makes him a poor ball handler.

And yes, they do miss Dorsey. He's not worth the trouble but he would be a meaningful contributor on this team.

Dupree is not a poor ball handler. He's actually a very competent back-up PG who is in a bit of a slump. His length and defense are always a plus.

And no, we do not miss Dorsey.

For what it's worth, I think Dupree is an extremely poor ball handler. He's a high dribbler, which is fine when no one is near him but a large liability when he's being pressured.

For what it's worth, I think Dupree is an extremely poor ball handler. He's a high dribbler, which is fine when no one is near him but a large liability when he's being pressured.

Nonsense. Only accurate part was that he's a pretty high dribbler. He plays sg and pg 28 minutes per game and only turns the ball over 1.5x, and that's even slightly exaggerated/midleading because he's currently in a little rough stretch (6 TO last 2 games), which is why you're overreacting about his dribbling at the moment. He's just a sophomore and is playing heaving minutes as a playmaker. He's a slasher (3 ft attempts per game and scores a lot at the rim) and a passer (2.8 assists) so he's going to have some turnovers.

We have one of the least experienced teams in the country coming off a historically bad season and for some reason we need to start a thread complaining about any player who has a little rough stretch. Not that many college basketball players (especially young ones) are really consistent and very good players. We don't have a super talented offensive team. It's decent to pretty good, and has firepower to be really good at times, but of course young players on a basically newly formed team are going to have bad games. Unrealistic expectations.

I would feel bad for any players who happen to see some of these boards as they're trying to find their confidence through a shooting slump. I played soccer in the MIAC and for a while everyone on the team and several others teams loved to check the message board because it was hilarious in a lot of ways and just an entertaining thing to read as a curious freshman and sophomore and talk about with teammates on the bus. That was back in 2008 when people weren't nearly as obsessed with social media and how they're portrayed online. I guarantee that all players have read this board at times and I'm sure a lot have searched their names. Obviously Pitino tells his team to ignore the criticism from fans but especially in the beginning, it's impossible not to. People are curious to hear what others say about their play and character. I think it's perfectly fair to critique players (I do it myself) and call them out at times, but it would be nice for the players to not have to read a bunch of overreacting critical fans calling out their play because they have a rough game or few. For those who do call them out, did you ever play a sport at a very competitive level for nearly this many games in a season? Did you ever have stretches where you were injured or in a slump or just had really bad games? It's easy to forget how up and down a season can be for various reasons. This team also hasn't played all that much together. Let's try to save the harsh criticism for when it's truly warranted. This stuff absolutely affects their perceptions of fans, regardless of whether it "should" or not.

Good Lord.

Actually, literally speaking, he has somewhat of a point. Unfortunately, if we had a team full of players with Konate's level of consistency, we'd never win a game. It's not too hard to avoid making many mistakes when you know you're very limited, don't try to do very much, and concentrate on doing a small number of things. Having said that, I do think he's played fairly decently in his limited minutes lately. One thing I've noticed is that he appears to be better at catching the ball. Either his focus has improved or his teammates have learned to throw passes where he can catch them. He did a fair job in his 8 minutes on Saturday and that stint helped Lynch re-enter the game late with only 2 fouls.

Dupree's turnovers against the press to me are more against Pitino than Dupree. if you run the right press break, it should be easy to go up the court. Granted he shouldn't dribble into trouble and you pass to break a press, but if the refs let the other team hack there will be turnovers.

Dupree looked a little rattled against the Iowa press and between that and not getting a few calls when driving to the basket, he's a little frustrated and might lack some confidence in the past few games. The Gophers broke the press and got a lay-up or dunk when they got the ball in the middle of the floor. They got in trouble when they tried to break it along the sidelines and got trapped.

I would much rather see Dupree driving to the basket, but sometimes indecision gets the best of him when he leaves his feet with the ball. He needs to work on taking better, more controlled shots near the rim. You're not going to get a call a majority of the time when you throw up a wild look expecting the whistle. My biggest concern from Rutgers is that the offense generated at least 3 wide open looks from the perimeter, but he opted for the shot fake and a tough shot in the lane. Take the shot when you're open. I think he might be trying to do too much, forcing it just a bit.

That can change if he gets an early look to fall against Indiana. Confidence can grow in a hurry if you see a shot go in.

Nonsense. Only accurate part was that he's a pretty high dribbler. He plays sg and pg 28 minutes per game and only turns the ball over 1.5x, and that's even slightly exaggerated/midleading because he's currently in a little rough stretch (6 TO last 2 games), which is why you're overreacting about his dribbling at the moment. He's just a sophomore and is playing heaving minutes as a playmaker. He's a slasher (3 ft attempts per game and scores a lot at the rim) and a passer (2.8 assists) so he's going to have some turnovers.

We have one of the least experienced teams in the country coming off a historically bad season and for some reason we need to start a thread complaining about any player who has a little rough stretch. Not that many college basketball players (especially young ones) are really consistent and very good players. We don't have a super talented offensive team. It's decent to pretty good, and has firepower to be really good at times, but of course young players on a basically newly formed team are going to have bad games. Unrealistic expectations.

I would feel bad for any players who happen to see some of these boards as they're trying to find their confidence through a shooting slump. I played soccer in the MIAC and for a while everyone on the team and several others teams loved to check the message board because it was hilarious in a lot of ways and just an entertaining thing to read as a curious freshman and sophomore and talk about with teammates on the bus. That was back in 2008 when people weren't nearly as obsessed with social media and how they're portrayed online. I guarantee that all players have read this board at times and I'm sure a lot have searched their names. Obviously Pitino tells his team to ignore the criticism from fans but especially in the beginning, it's impossible not to. People are curious to hear what others say about their play and character. I think it's perfectly fair to critique players (I do it myself) and call them out at times, but it would be nice for the players to not have to read a bunch of overreacting critical fans calling out their play because they have a rough game or few. For those who do call them out, did you ever play a sport at a very competitive level for nearly this many games in a season? Did you ever have stretches where you were injured or in a slump or just had really bad games? It's easy to forget how up and down a season can be for various reasons. This team also hasn't played all that much together. Let's try to save the harsh criticism for when it's truly warranted. This stuff absolutely affects their perceptions of fans, regardless of whether it "should" or not.

Good grief. Out of all the withering criticism crossing all spectrums of Gopher athletics, you picked my relatively benign critique of Dupree's ballhandling to go on a rant?

Another brutal game from him tonight.

Good grief. Out of all the withering criticism crossing all spectrums of Gopher athletics, you picked my relatively benign critique of Dupree's ballhandling to go on a rant?

Haha, I apologize, I should've made it clear that only that first paragraph was meant to be directed at you specifically. I'm not sure why I didn't just make a separate post. I didn't actually have that big of a problem with what you said (though I certainly see why it came off like I did, haha). I obviously disagreed with what you wrote and stated why with some stats, but the rant was in response to this thread and others where people overreact to the natural ups and downs of play that happen to most individuals through the course of a season -- even a lot of the best players. Obviously fan boards are the place for people to overreact and vent frustrations when their team is losing, but it got to a certain point where I felt like saying something. The amount of negative comments about Murphy as a player/person were just absurd. I'm glad he could shut those morons up with his play.

I think you'll see his game take a significant leap with the addition of Isaiah Washington next season. Allow him to play his natural position every time out on the court.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nate played 37 minutes.

Dupree was out of position for a whole 3 minutes.

His confidence is down. He's a got the talent.

Yeah the difference between Akeem and Dupree was on display tonight. Akeem is experienced enough to be able to get over having a horrendous game. Pree is still fighting it. He's a confidence player. He'll find his form. But I hope it's soon because he's been awful and we need him

I was at the game and sat a few rows behind the bench. A few observations re: Dupree (caveat this that I do really like him as a player).

- My buddies and I were laughing the whole game when he got the ball, as it was the same story; head down, straight line to the basket, completely out of control. There was 1 time when he passed to Amit in the 2nd half for a layup and it was the most surprising play of the game.

- His body language was poor from the start. First time he gets the ball, head down, straight to the basket, shot gets blocked, he jogs back on defense. When he made mistakes, his shoulders slump, he stares at the ceiling, just a complete lack of energy and confidence.

- jmag said it well; Akeem is experienced enough to impact the game in various ways; Dupree is not (yet). When he can't score or get involved offensively, it affects his entire game.

- The team and coaching staff made a concerted effort to encourage him throughout the game. Sometimes when someone is down they can be forgotten on the bench; this was not the case.

- First time he gets the ball, head down, straight to the basket, shot gets blocked,
he jogs back on defense. When he made mistakes, his shoulders slump, he stares at the ceiling, just a complete lack of energy and confidence.

He's been doing that his whole time here, there were times in the non conference part of the schedule where he started see the court, pass the ball, and make some open shots, he still bull dozed to the basket but it wasn't the whole part of his game, I was hoping he was developing, he's really gone backwards recently.

When he has a 1 on 3 break he needs to pull back and set up the offense, he still wants to go straight to the basket.

Just going to bump this to say he had one hell of a game.

He's been much better, a few more very costly ball handling turnovers though.

Dupree had a very nice game...

Nice game for Pree!

Top Bottom