Dupree McBrayer

Dupree and Curry were awesome. Nice game guys!

Huge breakout game. A nice learning opportunity for him w success finally, just let the game come naturally. Hopefully he can completely put to rest the self defeating attitude.

This is why you don't give up on kids. Dupree has turned it around like Mason and Murphy did. Great to see.

This kid seems to get worse every game. Turnovers, bad shots, stupid fouls etc.. He's been a total liability in B1G play.

Turns out Dupree is good at basketball.

just thought this needed a bump.

Turns out Dupree is good at basketball.

just thought this needed a bump.

Ha, I bumped it after the last game. I think we should just do this after every game Pree plays well the rest of the way.

Dupree's baseline drive and dunk today against Penn State, followed by the team's reaction was a true highlight.

Dupree's baseline drive and dunk today against Penn State, followed by the team's reaction was a true highlight.
Last time I saw a Gopher make an explosive play like that on a baseline drive was - well, last game by Akeem. But that play reminded me of a few like that from Rodney Williams Dupree is just a tad bit of a better shooter, though.

Last time I saw a Gopher make an explosive play like that on a baseline drive was - well, last game by Akeem. But that play reminded me of a few like that from Rodney Williams Dupree is just a tad bit of a better shooter, though.

The team reaction was awfully fun though... It was like "where in the HELL did THAT come from!"

Told my father in law this today while watching the game. If Dupree can put on 20 lbs he's going to be nasty, heck even 10lbs would help him out soo much.

The reason I'm positive that weight is going to help him, is that he already plays like he's got those 20lbs. He plays to contact, if he wins those midair collissions on a few more occassions those 2 shot fouls he's missing the front end on turn into and 1's, which is a net difference of a couple points per game.

Defensively he could use the extra weight as he would be a heck of a stopper with his length agility and add in size... Oh man.

Shooting 40% on the year from three, there were some (many) here saying he shouldn't shoot three's...

Fun kid to watch, and if his personality truly is how Pitino describes him, what a great Gopher. My hope is Issiah Washington is cut from the same cloth (Same program).

I haven't been able to watch the past few games but it sounds like I have some crow to eat and I'm more than happy to do it.

Nice work Dupree!

McBrayer seems to end up on the ground a lot. I'll chalk that up as a result of playing hard.

As implied above, this offseason's weightlifting program is going to be crucial for Dupree. Some upper body strength will go a long way for him because he's already been playing like a superstar these past 3-4 games. Stay in the gym and hit the weights 'Pree, because you could be all-conference if you keep going on this trajectory.

Yeah, 'Pree turned it around just like Jordan and Nate. Loving it.

As implied above, this offseason's weightlifting program is going to be crucial for Dupree. Some upper body strength will go a long way for him because he's already been playing like a superstar these past 3-4 games. Stay in the gym and hit the weights 'Pree, because you could be all-conference if you keep going on this trajectory.

I agree and I think he's driven to put on the weight, Dupree is already 15-20lbs heavier than he was last year, if Dupree, Coffey and Curry all put in the work this off season in the weight room lookout!

I think he has the most potential of anyone on the team

I agree and I think he's driven to put on the weight, Dupree is already 15-20lbs heavier than he was last year, if Dupree, Coffey and Curry all put in the work this off season in the weight room lookout!

I don't agree that he needs to add a bunch of weight and muscle. I've seen a lot of players get worse when they got bigger and bulkier. What problems has him being somewhat skinny caused? None that I can see.

I don't agree that he needs to add a bunch of weight and muscle. I've seen a lot of players get worse when they got bigger and bulkier. What problems has him being somewhat skinny caused? None that I can see.

He got backed down with ease last night after having to switch onto a bigger player. Dupree had a hand in the guy's face when he took the shot, but it didn't matter as he had already conceded 4-5 feet. He won't exactly be bulky if he adds another 15 lbs with his long/wirey arms.

I anticipate he'll be working hard again in the gym and packing on calories. I remember pitino mentioning his work ethic this past offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, Pitino repeatedly said that Dupree might have the most upside of any of the first year players, including Murphy and Dorsey. It appears that he was "spot on".

People often say that players see the most growth between their sophomore and junior years. If that's true, then this team will be ridiculous!

First of all, there are 2 sides to a basketball court. Second, on the offensive side, it would allow him to absorb contact much better on his aggressive drives to the lane, it would enable him to box out for rebounds better, it would allow him to set better picks. Nobody is suggesting he gain 75 pounds. But he is wiry and, if he has any aspirations for the NBA, could add at least 15 pounds. He has a lot of raw talent. But he needs to be stronger to get to the next level (next tier of player in college and possible NBA).

I get what you're saying, but he would only be about 195 with 20 more pounds, at his height he will be just fine.

He got backed down with ease last night after having to switch onto a bigger player. Dupree had a hand in the guy's face when he took the shot, but it didn't matter as he had already conceded 4-5 feet. He won't exactly be bulky if he adds another 15 lbs with his long/wirey arms.

I anticipate he'll be working hard again in the gym and packing on calories. I remember pitino mentioning his work ethic this past offseason.

That's going to happen if he adds 10 pounds of muscle as well. Doesn't make any sense at all to try to build him into someone who can guard a 4.

First of all, there are 2 sides to a basketball court. Second, on the offensive side, it would allow him to absorb contact much better on his aggressive drives to the lane, it would enable him to box out for rebounds better, it would allow him to set better picks. Nobody is suggesting he gain 75 pounds. But he is wiry and, if he has any aspirations for the NBA, could add at least 15 pounds. He has a lot of raw talent. But he needs to be stronger to get to the next level (next tier of player in college and possible NBA).

Sure, get stronger. But I don't agree that he needs to add any bulk. I'll trade speed and quickness over boxing out and absorbing contact every time.

I get what you're saying, but he would only be about 195 with 20 more pounds, at his height he will be just fine.

I simply don't believe that he would be as quick with 20 more pounds. His first step is what makes him so deadly right now.

I'll trade speed and quickness over boxing out and absorbing contact every time.
They aren't mutually exclusive. His game relies heavily on drives to the basket. He needs to be able to absorb contact. He gets bounced around pretty good right now. And it goes without saying that he is physically outmanned on defense fighting through screens and down low. Do you watch the games? Again, nobody is suggesting he gain 75 pounds. I'll make a bet with you. I will bet he gains at least 10 pounds by start of next year. Guessing the goal will be about 15.

Funny that we are talking about Dupree in the NBA after the start to his season.

He is an interesting player and could be the most talented player on the team besides Coffey. Coming off the bench might suit him. He attacks relentlessly and is a huge change of pace compared to Mason/Springs. I enjoy what he does in his bench scorer role.

I simply don't believe that he would be as quick with 20 more pounds. His first step is what makes him so deadly right now.

You would be surprised at how much speed is correlated with strength. A good strength regimen can DRAMATICALLY improve explosiveness, speed, quickness, jumping, lateral movement, and overall athleticism. Not to mention, being stronger will allow you to absorb contact and stay on your path to the rim, get to your spots, rip through your defender. On defense, it also helps you maintain guarding position. Strength on the perimeter is a huge asset. You are correct that adding TOO much muscle could hinder movement, but adding the right amount of muscle undoubtedly improves athleticism, speed, and quickness. (Getting stronger in the weight room does not equate to body building)

Top Bottom