Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmag21 View Post
    I don't know. A lot of this guy's views I find very problematic, but I also don't like our current culture's desire to tie people to the stake for comments in a public forum. This is an old fella, and like a lot of old fellas, he has some views that are embarrassing. It used to be, that the only people embarrassed would be his grandchildren, who'd shake their heads at things that he said at thanksgiving dinner, but now everybody can see. I just wish we lived in a society where we weren't in such a rush to end careers and castigate people for things they said on facebook or twitter.
    OH, BS! Post racist crap, you own it. Excusing by claiming it's personal or PC gone amok is a total cop-out. That's the way things are nowadays. Light gets shone under a lot of rocks; sometimes by people stupid enough to turn it on themselves. BTW, I'm 71, or an "old fella," and I'm glad this guy is done with his gig.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    OH, BS! Post racist crap, you own it. Excusing by claiming it's personal or PC gone amok is a total cop-out. That's the way things are nowadays. Light gets shone under a lot of rocks; sometimes by people stupid enough to turn it on themselves. BTW, I'm 71, or an "old fella," and I'm glad this guy is done with his gig.
    Agree completely Mulligan.

Default Nice

I don't know. A lot of this guy's views I find very problematic, but I also don't like our current culture's desire to tie people to the stake for comments in a public forum. This is an old fella, and like a lot of old fellas, he has some views that are embarrassing. It used to be, that the only people embarrassed would be his grandchildren, who'd shake their heads at things that he said at thanksgiving dinner, but now everybody can see. I just wish we lived in a society where we weren't in such a rush to end careers and castigate people for things they said on facebook or twitter.
    Let's attack another group with your kind and gentle heart. There are views people are going to differ with from all age groups. People of all ages are going to embarrass themselves. It's not limited to old fellas.
    I too disagree with his comments and am saddened by them...wouldn't matter how old he was or what color he was or male or female, I'd still still disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    Let's attack another group with your kind and gentle heart. There are views people are going to differ with from all age groups. People of all ages are going to embarrass themselves. It's not limited to old fellas.
    I too disagree with his comments and am saddened by them...wouldn't matter how old he was or what color he was or male or female, I'd still still disagree.
    Are you trying to say that young people have said stupid things on twitter? I just don't buy it.

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post

Go Gophers!!
    Screenshot_2017-02-11-21-06-33.jpg

Have not reviewed all his tweets or retweets, but if this annoyed him, I have no issue with that.

7. Default

None of them were horrible but they were certainly in poor taste to post from those accounts. Those are things that I wouldn't hold against him if he was recorded saying in a private conversation, but they aren't smart to frequently post on twitter.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    Just Locker Room talk. Nothing more.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

He should not be involved in Mr basketball any longer. Done. But I don't really know how that is set up or works.

He asks us to "run their a$$es outta here" referring to Mexicans. His career should be ruined. Racism, insensitivity etc. If he didn't learn anything in the last 50 years take a class...meet some folks who aren't white Christians....IMO, we should run his a$$ outta here...I'll take a hardworking immigrant over a racist, close-minded pig any day. Don't feel sorry for him, feel sorry for all the people he has probably hurt over the years because of his racism....

Quote Originally Posted by CoMn View Post
    He asks us to "run their a$$es outta here" referring to Mexicans. His career should be ruined. Racism
    Referring to 1000's of people crossing the boarder illegally; How is that racist? It's not racist to be opposed to that.

Securing our boarders and knowing who is entering the country is not a racist stance.
    Last edited by 98VQueens; 02-12-2017 at 06:08 PM.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 98VQueens View Post
    Referring to 1000's of people crossing the boarder illegally; How is that racist? It's not racist to be opposed to that.

Securing our boarders and knowing who is entering the country is not a racist stance.
    Racist or not, his statement is factually incorrect. The U.S. has deported more Mexicans than have entered the U.S., both legally and illegally, since 2009. Obama departed more Mexicans than Bush -- it's a myth that Mexicans were illegally entering our country in large numbers during Obama's years.

Quote Originally Posted by rosevillegopher View Post
    Racist or not, his statement is factually incorrect. The U.S. has deported more Mexicans than have entered the U.S., both legally and illegally, since 2009. Obama departed more Mexicans than Bush -- it's a myth that Mexicans were illegally entering our country in large numbers during Obama's years.
    Run their asses out of here is factually incorrect?

Don't turn this into a political debate. The guy is a moron. He could have Bren talking about nazis for all I care, don't say it on that Twitter.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Winasota Gopher View Post
    Run their asses out of here is factually incorrect?

Don't turn this into a political debate. The guy is a moron. He could have Bren talking about nazis for all I care, don't say it on that Twitter.
    I agree with you 100%. The incorrect fact was the person saying that 1000s of Mexicans are illegally entering our country.

The thing is, the Mr Basketball award is not done through the State High School League or the MN Basketball Coaches Association. Ken Lien basically runs it as a one-man show, and has done so for decades. So, either some other group would have to take over the award, or Lien would have to agree to step aside and sever his connections with the program.

Personally, I have thought for years that Mr Basketball is too centered on the metro-area players, and does not include quality players in out-state MN, but that's my personal gripe as someone who follows hoops more in out-state MN.