STrib: Mr. Minnesota Basketball Award account's tweet draws ire

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

The coach of the Henry Sibley boys’ basketball team went on Twitter Friday to dissociate his program from the Mr. Minnesota Basketball Award because of what he described as racist commentary on Twitter by the award program’s figurehead.

In a tweet directed at Ken Lien, longtime head of the award program that honors the state’s top senior player, Sibley coach John Carrier wrote, “I’m sorry @mrbasketballmn, I can no longer stand by silently and support these types of tweets from someone representing our state.”

A since-deleted tweet from Lien’s account used crude language to express support for another tweet that said “Wake up America – Ignore at your own peril! Angry Muslims taunt NJ schools: ‘We’re Going to Be the Majority Soon’ ”

Lien, in response to Carrier’s tweet, the Minnesota Basketball Coaches Association Twitter account and others sympathetic with Carrier’s view, tweeted: “I get upset & defensive when people bash our country, etc. I take great pride representing Mr.bb for 40 years; again, plz forgive.”

Among many tweets expressing support for Carrier was one from Jabbar Washington, who played on three Minneapolis North championship teams in the 1990s. “The damage is done @mrbasketballmn the damage is already done,” he wrote on Twitter. “You can’t erase your true feelings.”

http://www.startribune.com/mr-minnesota-basketball-award-account-s-tweet-draws-ire/413477533/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Islam is not a race, so this is not a racist comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

Islam is not a race, so this is not a racist comment.

It was more than just that one tweet, there was also others along the lines of "loading your gun and taking out" illegal immigrants crossing the border and similar things. Pretty unprofessional at best, bordering on threatening at worst.

It was more than just that one tweet, there was also others along the lines of "loading your gun and taking out" illegal immigrants crossing the border and similar things. Pretty unprofessional at best, bordering on threatening at worst.

Please show direct quotes. "Along the lines" is inaccurate at best, libel at worst. Don't inflame things.

I've never been a fan of him. He always seemed a bit off.

I debated sharing these screen shots someone just sent me...but they are not from someone's private conversation or texting, they were things he posted that really bother me:

How stupid can you be?

Even if you believe in strict border laws, vetted immigration or any of the other policies that are out there, at what point does decency just go out the window and you turn into an imbecile on Twitter?

Twitter exposes a lot of imbeciles. Not every thought was meant to be communicated. He's done with the Mr. Basketball program. I'm not a big fan of running people out of town, but he's way out of line (and doesn't help his cause, either).

I don't know. A lot of this guy's views I find very problematic, but I also don't like our current culture's desire to tie people to the stake for comments in a public forum. This is an old fella, and like a lot of old fellas, he has some views that are embarrassing. It used to be, that the only people embarrassed would be his grandchildren, who'd shake their heads at things that he said at thanksgiving dinner, but now everybody can see. I just wish we lived in a society where we weren't in such a rush to end careers and castigate people for things they said on facebook or twitter.

I don't know. A lot of this guy's views I find very problematic, but I also don't like our current culture's desire to tie people to the stake for comments in a public forum. This is an old fella, and like a lot of old fellas, he has some views that are embarrassing. It used to be, that the only people embarrassed would be his grandchildren, who'd shake their heads at things that he said at thanksgiving dinner, but now everybody can see. I just wish we lived in a society where we weren't in such a rush to end careers and castigate people for things they said on facebook or twitter.

We should sympathize with the guy because there's a public forum for his racism now which there wasn't before?

I'd agree with you if it was his personal Twitter, but if this is an account associated with mr basketball awards then there is no place for uncomfortable political tweets left or right. Add in the swearing....

He's representing the MN Mr. Basketball award with this twitter account. There are Muslims and ethnic/racial minorities that live in this state and players that compete for this award. These kind of comments make me think that Ishamel El-Amin never stood a chance. It is entirely unacceptable to express them in this capacity.

That's a good point and one I wasn't thinking of. Doing this on the mr basketball award official account is unacceptable.

OH, BS! Post racist crap, you own it. Excusing by claiming it's personal or PC gone amok is a total cop-out. That's the way things are nowadays. Light gets shone under a lot of rocks; sometimes by people stupid enough to turn it on themselves. BTW, I'm 71, or an "old fella," and I'm glad this guy is done with his gig.

OH, BS! Post racist crap, you own it. Excusing by claiming it's personal or PC gone amok is a total cop-out. That's the way things are nowadays. Light gets shone under a lot of rocks; sometimes by people stupid enough to turn it on themselves. BTW, I'm 71, or an "old fella," and I'm glad this guy is done with his gig.

Agree completely Mulligan.

Nice

Let's attack another group with your kind and gentle heart. There are views people are going to differ with from all age groups. People of all ages are going to embarrass themselves. It's not limited to old fellas.
I too disagree with his comments and am saddened by them...wouldn't matter how old he was or what color he was or male or female, I'd still still disagree.

Let's attack another group with your kind and gentle heart. There are views people are going to differ with from all age groups. People of all ages are going to embarrass themselves. It's not limited to old fellas.
I too disagree with his comments and am saddened by them...wouldn't matter how old he was or what color he was or male or female, I'd still still disagree.

Are you trying to say that young people have said stupid things on twitter? I just don't buy it.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Screenshot_2017-02-11-21-06-33.jpg

Have not reviewed all his tweets or retweets, but if this annoyed him, I have no issue with that.

None of them were horrible but they were certainly in poor taste to post from those accounts. Those are things that I wouldn't hold against him if he was recorded saying in a private conversation, but they aren't smart to frequently post on twitter.

Just Locker Room talk. Nothing more.

He should not be involved in Mr basketball any longer. Done. But I don't really know how that is set up or works.

He asks us to "run their a$$es outta here" referring to Mexicans. His career should be ruined. Racism, insensitivity etc. If he didn't learn anything in the last 50 years take a class...meet some folks who aren't white Christians....IMO, we should run his a$$ outta here...I'll take a hardworking immigrant over a racist, close-minded pig any day. Don't feel sorry for him, feel sorry for all the people he has probably hurt over the years because of his racism....

He asks us to "run their a$$es outta here" referring to Mexicans. His career should be ruined. Racism

Referring to 1000's of people crossing the boarder illegally; How is that racist? It's not racist to be opposed to that.

Securing our boarders and knowing who is entering the country is not a racist stance.

Referring to 1000's of people crossing the boarder illegally; How is that racist? It's not racist to be opposed to that.

Securing our boarders and knowing who is entering the country is not a racist stance.

Racist or not, his statement is factually incorrect. The U.S. has deported more Mexicans than have entered the U.S., both legally and illegally, since 2009. Obama departed more Mexicans than Bush -- it's a myth that Mexicans were illegally entering our country in large numbers during Obama's years.

Racist or not, his statement is factually incorrect. The U.S. has deported more Mexicans than have entered the U.S., both legally and illegally, since 2009. Obama departed more Mexicans than Bush -- it's a myth that Mexicans were illegally entering our country in large numbers during Obama's years.

Run their asses out of here is factually incorrect?

Don't turn this into a political debate. The guy is a moron. He could have Bren talking about nazis for all I care, don't say it on that Twitter.

Run their asses out of here is factually incorrect?

Don't turn this into a political debate. The guy is a moron. He could have Bren talking about nazis for all I care, don't say it on that Twitter.

I agree with you 100%. The incorrect fact was the person saying that 1000s of Mexicans are illegally entering our country.

The thing is, the Mr Basketball award is not done through the State High School League or the MN Basketball Coaches Association. Ken Lien basically runs it as a one-man show, and has done so for decades. So, either some other group would have to take over the award, or Lien would have to agree to step aside and sever his connections with the program.

Personally, I have thought for years that Mr Basketball is too centered on the metro-area players, and does not include quality players in out-state MN, but that's my personal gripe as someone who follows hoops more in out-state MN.

Top Bottom