UMN freshman athletes must live on campus + Updated training

To all the shortsided people who want Coyle fired, I hope you don't like Fleck either. Because if you think Fleck is likely to stick around after the man who hired him gets fired, you're crazy. If Fleck has success here, our biggest hope of keeping him here long term is if Coyle is here long term.

Wins/Loss record is our biggest hope of keeping Fleck. As has been pointed out on a different thread, It is pretty rare that B1G FB HC's voluntarily leave for another opportunity.

How many AD's did Mas have?

I think Coyle has done enough to save his skin by hiring Fleck. However, like others, I'm also surprised he's not trying to put some daylight btwn himself and Kaler.

Maybe someone on here knows - I was always under the impression that a significant % of U of MN students were commuters - living in off-campus apartments or at home. has that changed in recent years?

I went to Augsburg back in the 70's, and a lot of kids from the Metro area lived off-campus. There was a Freshman dorm, but that was mainly for kids who were coming from outside the Metro area. On the weekends, a lot of kids went home.

At one point the U was considering making all freshmen live on campus. I think it fell apart because it was considered unfair to lower income students who could live with their folks and commute but may not be able to afford housing. But I believe they highly encourage freshmen to live on campus now, where in my day nobody cared.

I told my nieces to not even consider commuting to the U before my sister basically put her foot down that they are not living at home their freshman and sophomore years no matter where they go. My sister and I both commuted and both of us would live on campus if we could do it over. I think this is generally a good thing, but I do hope they allow some flexibility so they don't get into a situation where someone can't participate as a walk-on because they can't afford on-campus housing (or have a family situation or whatever preventing it).

Maybe someone on here knows - I was always under the impression that a significant % of U of MN students were commuters - living in off-campus apartments or at home. has that changed in recent years?

I went to Augsburg back in the 70's, and a lot of kids from the Metro area lived off-campus. There was a Freshman dorm, but that was mainly for kids who were coming from outside the Metro area. On the weekends, a lot of kids went home.

It has. I'm currently a student, and almost everyone I know lives in an apartment building within 5 blocks of campus (which I don't consider commuting). The amount of housing on/near campus is exponentially growing, and the prices are starting to drop a bit (sadly I won't be able to reap the benefits the excess of housing compared to the demand in the next few years). I know a few people in the como area, which is off campus but with public transit is no more than a 10 minute bus ride.

Who knows why this is happening, but it is.

To all the shortsided people who want Coyle fired, I hope you don't like Fleck either. Because if you think Fleck is likely to stick around after the man who hired him gets fired, you're crazy. If Fleck has success here, our biggest hope of keeping him here long term is if Coyle is here long term.

So we should keep a guy who can't do his job, because we want a coach to stay? Seems like rational thought.

I do agree that if we hire some jackass as AD, he'll want to hire "his guy" and will look to fire Fleck to accomplish that, regardless of the success or lack thereof of Fleck. That's being done on an annual basis around the country. The way to change that is 1) Fleck to have a lot of success and 2) Real change at the Administrative level that make a commitment to the athletics department that includes a commitment to the revenue sports, not a commitment to covering their asses.

When a president gets fired, the AD is not always a casualty - if said AD does his job. Only reason Coyle has to worry is because he hasn't done his.

With the renovation of Pioneer Hall the U is renting out off campus apartments that will be considered "on campus" housing. This will basically add stricter rules and a Community Advisor on every wing.

90-95% of freshmen live "on campus" (in dorms) about 80% of those students move to apartments and houses in Dinkytown/Stadium Village/Como/Marcy Holmes neighborhoods around the U after freshmen year, the rest live in the dorms another year.

Most colleges require freshman to live on campus unless they are commuting from home. I have no issues with it and was shocked that scholarship athletes are not living on campus where their practices, meals, training and tutoring occurs.

Most colleges require freshman to live on campus unless they are commuting from home. I have no issues with it and was shocked that scholarship athletes are not living on campus where their practices, meals, training and tutoring occurs.

Most football players, especially freshmen, live in The Radius apartments which are quite literally across the street from the football facility. Now that the U has leased portions of several off campus apartments, which now make them "on campus" apartments, players will continue to live in the Radius, but they'll have the cost covered for them. Freshmen football players would never come to the U if they knew they were going to spend a year in a building built in the 1950's.

Culture change my ass. It's already a thing - most of the freshman athletes do live on campus.

More smoke and mirrors from the Coyle and Kaler comedy klub.

Glad to see at least a couple of regents seem to get that the only thing that changed is the coach. That's not enough.

Won't miss either one of these clowns.

Won't miss either of them? Exactly where do you think they're going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom