UMN freshman athletes must live on campus + Updated training

While I think this a positive step to take, I do have a major issue with the article.

A disciplinary panel voted to expel four football players and suspend two others for their roles in an alleged Sept. 2 sexual assault of a woman in an off-campus apartment. A high school recruit also had sex with the woman, according to an investigative report.

At no point does the article acknowledge that 4 players were falsely accused.

While I think this a positive step to take, I do have a major issue with the article.

A disciplinary panel voted to expel four football players and suspend two others for their roles in an alleged Sept. 2 sexual assault of a woman in an off-campus apartment. A high school recruit also had sex with the woman, according to an investigative report.

At no point does the article acknowledge that 4 players were falsely accused.

Are you surprised?

I'm amazed we have crime in this country. I'm amazed we have car accidents. I'm amazed we have people spending more than they earn. I'm amazed we don't have academic excellence in 100% of students. Clearly, the answer is more "hey, don't do that" training rather than accepting a certain percent of the public has one or more of: ingrained sociopathic tendencies, mental instability, poor impulse control, or inability to practice delayed gratification despite years of parental, teacher, societal, and law enforcement admonition.

So some non scholarship guy that they talk onto the men's rowing team as freshman because they need warm bodies has to live on campus to participate?

So some non scholarship guy that they talk onto the men's rowing team as freshman because they need warm bodies has to live on campus to participate?

All athletes I belive.

Like the day they talk him onto it, he probabbly gets some time ;)

Just guessing...it is scholarship athletes or it wii be amended to be. No statistics but we are/were a very big commuter campus. Likely a big group of minor sports kids who live at home or in some house with 12 others on the cheap.

This is a good idea. Many schools require freshmen of all types to live on campus. Other schools/programs like Notre Dame have a campus culture where mostly everyone lives on campus or in a Greek house all 4 years.

While I'm not sure it will move the needle at all in terms of sexual assault (and would logically increase it on campus), it's something freshmen should be doing for camaraderie and the college experience.

Just guessing...it is scholarship athletes or it wii be amended to be. No statistics but we are/were a very big commuter campus. Likely a big group of minor sports kids who live at home or in some house with 12 others on the cheap.
Likely to be ALL. Consider one of the accused (later vindicated) was a major contributor to the start of said event, was a walk-on freshman .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Likely to be ALL. Consider one of the accused (later vindicated) was a major contributor to the start of said event, was a walk-on freshman .

No one accused was a walk-on freshman.

I'm amazed we have crime in this country. I'm amazed we have car accidents. I'm amazed we have people spending more than they earn. I'm amazed we don't have academic excellence in 100% of students. Clearly, the answer is more "hey, don't do that" training rather than accepting a certain percent of the public has one or more of: ingrained sociopathic tendencies, mental instability, poor impulse control, or inability to practice delayed gratification despite years of parental, teacher, societal, and law enforcement admonition.

Ya, obviously the solution is just say the hell with it, since any attempt to help people is such an imposition on your precious libertarian freedoms. All those wasted years--oh, why can't they be superior like me?

Culture change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, if you want to talk about Trump move it to the off topic board!

"Athletics Director Mark Coyle told the Board of Regents on Friday that most freshman athletes already live in on-campus housing but the mandate will enable the U to provide more support."

Apparently he feels RA's are the answer...who knew? Classic. Solution in search of a problem. How much is the U paying MC?

Ya, obviously the solution is just say the hell with it, since any attempt to help people is such an imposition on your precious libertarian freedoms. All those wasted years--oh, why can't they be superior like me?

You don't know my (complicated) politics. And for the other poster, I'm no Trump fan.

How many times can the same thing be said in different ways. Young people flush with hormones, particularly under the influence of drugs and alcohol, have done dumb things throughout history and will continue to do so even if you increase the training hours to 200 per year and require them to live with their parents. While some training is necessary to set the rules these measures are simply more PR and legal defense nonsense.

HA!

Culture change.

Culture change my ass. It's already a thing - most of the freshman athletes do live on campus.

More smoke and mirrors from the Coyle and Kaler comedy klub.

Glad to see at least a couple of regents seem to get that the only thing that changed is the coach. That's not enough.

Won't miss either one of these clowns.

Isn't this pretty common for freshman to live in the dorms? I was honestly surprised when I heard all these freshman were living off campus. I thought the new campus apartments by Ridder were for freshman athletes.

Culture change my ass. It's already a thing - most of the freshman athletes do live on campus.

More smoke and mirrors from the Coyle and Kaler comedy klub.

Glad to see at least a couple of regents seem to get that the only thing that changed is the coach. That's not enough.

Won't miss either one of these clowns.

Yep. There's a bunch of posters here who think Coyle is hitting on all cylinders... and the BoR are either country bumpkins or clueless, and just a rubber stamp for Kaler. I give the BoR much more credit...the members who've spoken publicly know exactly what they are doing. Most of the comments have been directed squarely at Kaler, sending the message that they are questioning his leadership.

Yep. There's a bunch of posters here who think Coyle is hitting on all cylinders... and the BoR are either country bumpkins or clueless, and just a rubber stamp for Kaler. I give the BoR much more credit...the members who've spoken publicly know exactly what they are doing. Most of the comments have been directed squarely at Kaler, sending the message that they are questioning his leadership.

You gave the BoR so much credit that you said they were going to save Claeys and fire Kaler and Coyle...spot on as usual....:rolleyes:

Beetlejuice. Right on cue.

My dog whistle continues to work amazingly good...

If by dog whistle you mean just repeating the same thing over and over again, and bumping threads that had died to once again repeat yourself, you are correct.

I like this but I feel that the whole university should be careful not to violate any other students right to live on campus too! in fact one could suggest all Freshman live on campus but since that would never happen here at the U.....
can you imagine a shortage of rooms for freshman and some non athlete sues over giving rooms to athletes?

If by dog whistle you mean just repeating the same thing over and over again, and bumping threads that had died to once again repeat yourself, you are correct.

Yeah, no...not at all what I meant.

BTW, found a pair of your shoes...

Clown shoes.jpg

I agree that the Regents, at least some of them are on to Kaler and Coyle and Kaler is in deep trouble. Many of the these Kaler issues may be unrelated to the football mess.

I heard Dean Johnson speak to Dan B on KFAN, and his comments were incoherent, not very consistent, and generally terrible, but that says more about Dean's ability to clearly convey his thoughts. I think the whole debacle did not sit well with Dean Johnson either, and he has a bigger problem with Kaler than he did with Claeys as obtuse and clownish as we seemed on the radio. Dean is no dummy, just no master or PR and public speaking.

If Dean has had it then there probably are several other regents that are on board with him and more fired up than dean. If I were Kaler, I'd be packing boxes, and if I were Coyle, I'd be kissing ass and distancing myself from EK.

I agree that the Regents, at least some of them are on to Kaler and Coyle and Kaler is in deep trouble. Many of the these Kaler issues may be unrelated to the football mess.

I heard Dean Johnson speak to Dan B on KFAN, and his comments were incoherent, not very consistent, and generally terrible, but that says more about Dean's ability to clearly convey his thoughts. I think the whole debacle did not sit well with Dean Johnson either, and he has a bigger problem with Kaler than he did with Claeys as obtuse and clownish as we seemed on the radio. Dean is no dummy, just no master or PR and public speaking.

If Dean has had it then there probably are several other regents that are on board with him and more fired up than dean. If I were Kaler, I'd be packing boxes, and if I were Coyle, I'd be kissing ass and distancing myself from EK.

Yeah, I don't know why Coyle has not created some separation between himself and Kaler. He's got to be smart enough to know Kaler is using him for self-serving reasons.

To all the shortsided people who want Coyle fired, I hope you don't like Fleck either. Because if you think Fleck is likely to stick around after the man who hired him gets fired, you're crazy. If Fleck has success here, our biggest hope of keeping him here long term is if Coyle is here long term.

To all the shortsided people who want Coyle fired, I hope you don't like Fleck either. Because if you think Fleck is likely to stick around after the man who hired him gets fired, you're crazy. If Fleck has success here, our biggest hope of keeping him here long term is if Coyle is here long term.

I don't think Coyle is getting fired.

But I don't think Coyle is some sort of magic Fleck lynchpin either. How long Fleck is here will have to do with pay, support, and success.

Top Bottom