Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. Default UMN freshman athletes must live on campus + Updated training



  2. #2

    Default

    While I think this a positive step to take, I do have a major issue with the article.


    A disciplinary panel voted to expel four football players and suspend two others for their roles in an alleged Sept. 2 sexual assault of a woman in an off-campus apartment. A high school recruit also had sex with the woman, according to an investigative report.


    At no point does the article acknowledge that 4 players were falsely accused.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CurveballJesus View Post
    While I think this a positive step to take, I do have a major issue with the article.


    A disciplinary panel voted to expel four football players and suspend two others for their roles in an alleged Sept. 2 sexual assault of a woman in an off-campus apartment. A high school recruit also had sex with the woman, according to an investigative report.


    At no point does the article acknowledge that 4 players were falsely accused.
    Are you surprised?

  4. #4

    Default

    I'm amazed we have crime in this country. I'm amazed we have car accidents. I'm amazed we have people spending more than they earn. I'm amazed we don't have academic excellence in 100% of students. Clearly, the answer is more "hey, don't do that" training rather than accepting a certain percent of the public has one or more of: ingrained sociopathic tendencies, mental instability, poor impulse control, or inability to practice delayed gratification despite years of parental, teacher, societal, and law enforcement admonition.
    "This isn't serious? LSU would motor boat us" -- Trudat
    Sept 3, 2016

  5. Default

    So some non scholarship guy that they talk onto the men's rowing team as freshman because they need warm bodies has to live on campus to participate?

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LakerFan View Post
    So some non scholarship guy that they talk onto the men's rowing team as freshman because they need warm bodies has to live on campus to participate?
    All athletes I belive.

    Like the day they talk him onto it, he probabbly gets some time

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LakerFan View Post
    So some non scholarship guy that they talk onto the men's rowing team as freshman because they need warm bodies has to live on campus to participate?
    Just guessing...it is scholarship athletes or it wii be amended to be. No statistics but we are/were a very big commuter campus. Likely a big group of minor sports kids who live at home or in some house with 12 others on the cheap.

  8. #8

    Default

    This is a good idea. Many schools require freshmen of all types to live on campus. Other schools/programs like Notre Dame have a campus culture where mostly everyone lives on campus or in a Greek house all 4 years.

    While I'm not sure it will move the needle at all in terms of sexual assault (and would logically increase it on campus), it's something freshmen should be doing for camaraderie and the college experience.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    Just guessing...it is scholarship athletes or it wii be amended to be. No statistics but we are/were a very big commuter campus. Likely a big group of minor sports kids who live at home or in some house with 12 others on the cheap.
    Likely to be ALL. Consider one of the accused (later vindicated) was a major contributor to the start of said event, was a walk-on freshman .

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WHB Brewer View Post
    Likely to be ALL. Consider one of the accused (later vindicated) was a major contributor to the start of said event, was a walk-on freshman .
    No one accused was a walk-on freshman.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    I'm amazed we have crime in this country. I'm amazed we have car accidents. I'm amazed we have people spending more than they earn. I'm amazed we don't have academic excellence in 100% of students. Clearly, the answer is more "hey, don't do that" training rather than accepting a certain percent of the public has one or more of: ingrained sociopathic tendencies, mental instability, poor impulse control, or inability to practice delayed gratification despite years of parental, teacher, societal, and law enforcement admonition.
    Ya, obviously the solution is just say the hell with it, since any attempt to help people is such an imposition on your precious libertarian freedoms. All those wasted years--oh, why can't they be superior like me?

  12. #12

    Default

    Culture change.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm one of the 4-5

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    I'm amazed we have crime in this country. I'm amazed we have car accidents. I'm amazed we have people spending more than they earn. I'm amazed we don't have academic excellence in 100% of students. Clearly, the answer is more "hey, don't do that" training rather than accepting a certain percent of the public has one or more of: ingrained sociopathic tendencies, mental instability, poor impulse control, or inability to practice delayed gratification despite years of parental, teacher, societal, and law enforcement admonition.
    Hey, if you want to talk about Trump move it to the off topic board!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Default

    "Athletics Director Mark Coyle told the Board of Regents on Friday that most freshman athletes already live in on-campus housing but the mandate will enable the U to provide more support."

    Apparently he feels RA's are the answer...who knew? Classic. Solution in search of a problem. How much is the U paying MC?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
    Ya, obviously the solution is just say the hell with it, since any attempt to help people is such an imposition on your precious libertarian freedoms. All those wasted years--oh, why can't they be superior like me?
    You don't know my (complicated) politics. And for the other poster, I'm no Trump fan.

    How many times can the same thing be said in different ways. Young people flush with hormones, particularly under the influence of drugs and alcohol, have done dumb things throughout history and will continue to do so even if you increase the training hours to 200 per year and require them to live with their parents. While some training is necessary to set the rules these measures are simply more PR and legal defense nonsense.
    "This isn't serious? LSU would motor boat us" -- Trudat
    Sept 3, 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •