Kaler on Fleck contract: "It is a lot of money but we're getting a lot of coach."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Kaler on Fleck contract: "It is a lot of money but we're getting a lot of coach."

per STrib:

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents officially signed off on the Row the Boat era, approving football coach P.J. Fleck's $18 million contract Friday afternoon with a 10-1 vote.

"It is a lot of money," U President Eric Kaler said, "but we're getting a lot of coach."

The contract will pay Fleck an average of $3.6 million per season — $18 million over the five years — slightly more than the Big Ten average of $3.52 million. Bonuses and incentives for victories, championships and academics could push the contract above $20 million in the coming seasons.

The Gophers made a big jump in financial commitment from former coach Tracy Claeys' three-year, $4.5 million deal signed in November 2015.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-s-contract-officially-approved-by-u-board-of-regents/413427853/

Go Gophers!!

It's a little over the B1G average...

Still "a lot" but that is relative.

Interesting that Kalor is talking here.

Is our AD live in town?

"The University of Minnesota Board of Regents officially signed off on the Row the Boat era, approving football coach P.J. Fleck's $18 million contract Friday afternoon with a 10-1 vote."

So much for the regents hate athletics talk.

Koyle likes to hide in the shadows. He's said that several times.

As long as he is not Torpedoed by the administration.

It's a little over the B1G average...

Still "a lot" but that is relative.

Interesting that Kalor is talking here.

Is our AD live in town?

"The University of Minnesota Board of Regents officially signed off on the Row the Boat era, approving football coach P.J. Fleck's $18 million contract Friday afternoon with a 10-1 vote."

So much for the regents hate athletics talk.

It's a lot. We quadrupled Fleck's pay. Gotta think the U now has the highest paid FB and BB head coaches with the least amount of coaching experience of any major college conference.

----Queue up the bad taste jokes in 3...2...1....

Like Sauron or something?

Can his power be destroyed in the fire of Mt. Doom?

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the EOAA Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Gopher Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordorapolis where the Shadows lie,
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordorapolis where the Shadows lie.

—The Lord of the Rings, Epigraph

“And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, Coyle passed out of all knowledge.”
― Galadriel

Regent Abdul M. Omari was the lone “no” vote, and he later declined to comment.

Wonder what his reasoning is for his no vote? Couldn't even comment.

Hypothetically, What would happen if the regents voted "no" on Fleck's contract? Would they need to work out a new deal of some type or would he be an unemployed coach?

Hypothetically, What would happen if the regents voted "no" on Fleck's contract? Would they need to work out a new deal of some type or would he be an unemployed coach?

That's an interesting question. I figure Coyle had to be smart enough to get commitments it would pass before proceeding and that PJF's agent had to know that before his client agreed, but an interesting question.

Note I only said positive things about Coyle here. No need for you know who to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an interesting question. I figure Coyle had to be smart enough to get commitments it would pass before proceeding and that PJF's agent had to know that before his client agreed, but an interesting question.

Note I only said positive things about Coyle here. No need for you know who to respond.

Coyle obviously did a horrible job if it wasn't unanimous.....

Would have likely have had to pay him his buyout if you remember the Tubby Smith assistant coach issues.

Would have likely have had to pay him his buyout if you remember the Tubby Smith assistant coach issues.

Think that situation with Jimmy Williams, if that is the one you are referring to, was Maturi not signing off on it. Nothing to do with the regents if I recall correctly.

I agree, I suspect Coyle and Kalor already knew the score one way or another with the regents.

Also the regents also know voting it down would be potentially catastrophic.

The one vote could just be a token "hey look we're doing our job, not everyone is just rubber stamping stuff..." kinda thing.

I'd guess if they had voted no, then they would re-open negotiations on a new contract. They voted on the contract, not the coach. So it would have been tweaked and approved. What's interesting is if the school and coach then could not agree, how much do you pay the coach for the time he actually worked here. Probably would owe him the money (percentage of a years income) from the tentative contract he was working under.

I'd guess if they had voted no, then they would re-open negotiations on a new contract. They voted on the contract, not the coach. So it would have been tweaked and approved. What's interesting is if the school and coach then could not agree, how much do you pay the coach for the time he actually worked here. Probably would owe him the money (percentage of a years income) from the tentative contract he was working under.
I'm saying you probably owe him a lot more than that. He turned down an extension at WMU based on his contract offer here.

The last contract hubbub was Pitino's extension.... I suspect an inexplicable extension situation is a more likley case where the regents would throw down the big NO.

----Queue up the bad taste jokes in 3...2...1....

Hmm.. Like if Fleck was fat or something? Let me see if I can think of something.
Fleck isn't fat. Wife isn't fat. Don't know much else about him...

I got nothing.

Top Bottom