Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kaler on Fleck contract: "It is a lot of money but we're getting a lot of coach."

per STrib:

The University of Minnesota Board of Regents officially signed off on the Row the Boat era, approving football coach P.J. Fleck's $18 million contract Friday afternoon with a 10-1 vote.

"It is a lot of money," U President Eric Kaler said, "but we're getting a lot of coach."

The contract will pay Fleck an average of $3.6 million per season — $18 million over the five years — slightly more than the Big Ten average of $3.52 million. Bonuses and incentives for victories, championships and academics could push the contract above $20 million in the coming seasons.

The Gophers made a big jump in financial commitment from former coach Tracy Claeys' three-year, $4.5 million deal signed in November 2015.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck...nts/413427853/

Go Gophers!!

2. Default

It's a little over the B1G average...

Still "a lot" but that is relative.

Interesting that Kalor is talking here.

Is our AD live in town?

"The University of Minnesota Board of Regents officially signed off on the Row the Boat era, approving football coach P.J. Fleck's $18 million contract Friday afternoon with a 10-1 vote."

So much for the regents hate athletics talk.

Koyle likes to hide in the shadows. He's said that several times.

As long as he is not Torpedoed by the administration.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    Koyle likes to hide in the shadows. He's said that several times.
    Like Sauron or something?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    It's a little over the B1G average...

Still "a lot" but that is relative.

Interesting that Kalor is talking here.

Is our AD live in town?

"The University of Minnesota Board of Regents officially signed off on the Row the Boat era, approving football coach P.J. Fleck's $18 million contract Friday afternoon with a 10-1 vote."

So much for the regents hate athletics talk.
    It's a lot. We quadrupled Fleck's pay. Gotta think the U now has the highest paid FB and BB head coaches with the least amount of coaching experience of any major college conference.

Kaler on Fleck contract: "It is a lot of money but we're getting a lot of coach."

----Queue up the bad taste jokes in 3...2...1....
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Like Sauron or something?
    Can his power be destroyed in the fire of Mt. Doom?

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the EOAA Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Gopher Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
    In the Land of Mordorapolis where the Shadows lie,
    One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordorapolis where the Shadows lie.

—The Lord of the Rings, Epigraph
    "This isn't serious? LSU would motor boat us" -- Trudat
    Sept 3, 2016

“And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, Coyle passed out of all knowledge.”
    ― Galadriel
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

10. Default

Regent Abdul M. Omari was the lone “no” vote, and he later declined to comment.

Wonder what his reasoning is for his no vote? Couldn't even comment.

Hypothetically, What would happen if the regents voted "no" on Fleck's contract? Would they need to work out a new deal of some type or would he be an unemployed coach?

Quote Originally Posted by lmh839 View Post

Hypothetically, What would happen if the regents voted "no" on Fleck's contract? Would they need to work out a new deal of some type or would he be an unemployed coach?
    That's an interesting question. I figure Coyle had to be smart enough to get commitments it would pass before proceeding and that PJF's agent had to know that before his client agreed, but an interesting question.

Note I only said positive things about Coyle here. No need for you know who to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm one of the 4-5

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    That's an interesting question. I figure Coyle had to be smart enough to get commitments it would pass before proceeding and that PJF's agent had to know that before his client agreed, but an interesting question.

Note I only said positive things about Coyle here. No need for you know who to respond.

Coyle obviously did a horrible job if it wasn't unanimous.....
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by lmh839 View Post

Would have likely have had to pay him his buyout if you remember the Tubby Smith assistant coach issues.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    Would have likely have had to pay him his buyout if you remember the Tubby Smith assistant coach issues.
    Think that situation with Jimmy Williams, if that is the one you are referring to, was Maturi not signing off on it. Nothing to do with the regents if I recall correctly.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post

I agree, I suspect Coyle and Kalor already knew the score one way or another with the regents.

Also the regents also know voting it down would be potentially catastrophic.

The one vote could just be a token "hey look we're doing our job, not everyone is just rubber stamping stuff..." kinda thing.