15 JUCO Transfers to Watch in the Big Ten for 2017 (MN: McLaurin, Silver)

but I just don't think his being one of TC's guys will hurt his chances as much as it might a new recruit or a former back up.

I think that he doesn't appear to be very good (and that what skills he does have don't fit Ciarocca's offense) are what hurt his chances.

I DO believe Fleck would prefer one of 'his' guys get the job, but in this case my pessimism on McLaurin has more to do with the previous staff's ability to identify and recruit QB talent than anything else.

I DO believe Fleck would prefer one of 'his' guys get the job, but in this case my pessimism on McLaurin has more to do with the previous staff's ability to identify and recruit QB talent than anything else.

What do you mean this was the first time any of them have ever recruited a quarterback?

I love how all the experts on GopherHole have McLaurin transferring or switching positions. He's the odds on starter at quarterback, folks.

Lets bet $100 on starter vs Buffalo. You have McLaurin and I'll take the field.

I think it is either Rhoda or Morgan. Right now those two are more of an "odds on starter".

I think you can add Morgan to that mix too. As a true freshman the edge he has is being enrolled. As stated, Fleck likes to play true freshman. McLaurin is the 5th guy...pretty hard to get practice reps for 5 guys.

Agree. I was naming players that were already here and aren't necessarily "Fleck guys."

Lets bet $100 on starter vs Buffalo. You have McLaurin and I'll take the field.

I think it is either Rhoda or Morgan. Right now those two are more of an "odds on starter".

Let me put it this way.

Rhoda-less experience than McLaurin. New offense.
Morgan-no experience. New offense, new level, first college game ever.
McLaurin-full season under his belt. New level.

I said McLaurin is the odds on starter. He will take the first series, maybe even the first quarter. "Starting" doesn't mean anything anymore. You are not going to throw a freshman out there right away in the first game for the coach, the staff, and a lot of the players. McLaurin is a far better option than Rhoda, and much more of an athlete. Rhoda stayed because Fleck wanted him and Claeys didn't, plus he gets school for free. If Fleck didn't want McLaurin, he would have released him from his commitment, or as GH likes to say "cut him". He's here because of his leadership skills and likely is a "steady hand" on the tiller. I think it's ignorant to just blow him off.

Will he play more than any of the others by season end? Doubtful. Will he contribute? Likely.

Let me put it this way.

I said McLaurin is the odds on starter. He will take the first series, maybe even the first quarter. "Starting" doesn't mean anything anymore. You are not going to throw a freshman out there right away in the first game for the coach, the staff, and a lot of the players. McLaurin is a far better option than Rhoda, and much more of an athlete. Rhoda stayed because Fleck wanted him and Claeys didn't, plus he gets school for free. If Fleck didn't want McLaurin, he would have released him from his commitment, or as GH likes to say "cut him". He's here because of his leadership skills and likely is a "steady hand" on the tiller. I think it's ignorant to just blow him off.

Will he play more than any of the others by season end? Doubtful. Will he contribute? Likely.

Fleck couldn't get rid of McLaurin because was the guy was already here and enrolled in school. Nice try though.

Let me put it this way.

I don't agree with all of this post - but you make a good point about starting the first series of the first game. It very well might be McLaurin just because he does have the most post-high school playing experience. Remember that Nugget was our starter at RB for the TCU game in 2015 but it didn't take long to realize that Smith and Brooks were superior...but Williams still got the nod off the bat. Something to think about...

Let me put it this way.

If Fleck could've been rid of McLaurin, he would've. Absolutely, 100%, no doubt about it. Fleck didn't and doesn't want him. He can't get rid of McLaurin without his consent. Why would McLaurin want to leave voluntarily? This was far and away his best offer. And what basis do you have to say that McLaurin is "far and away" a better option than Rhoda? He's never taken a snap as a Gopher, not even in practice. And how do you know they aren't going to start a true freshman game 1? It happens multiple times every year across the country. I struggle to find a single thing in your post that wasn't complete nonsense.

Top Bottom