Nevada and Minnesota?

Reaction score
My two favorite teams won their last games. Nevada blitzed UNLV 104-77. The Gophers are sitting
at #21 RPI rating. Nevada at #40. Nevada needs to win the Mountain West, or the Conference Tourney. My buddy in Vegas says Nevada at this time is projected as the last 4 in. CBSSN has the Gophers in as a #7 after beating Iowa. I'm guessing Nevada coming in much higher. You guys love busting my chops, but it is possible the Gophers could play Nevada the way it stands right now. Pipe Dream you say? Never say never...........

Why would you want your two favorite teams to play eachother, unless it was in the National Championship. One of them would have to lose. The only reason I can think is you want Nevada to beat the Gophers so you can claim that Muss is a better coach than Pitino. What a fan!!

Why would you want your two favorite teams to play eachother, unless it was in the National Championship. One of them would have to lose. The only reason I can think is you want Nevada to beat the Gophers so you can claim that Muss is a better coach than Pitino. What a fan!!

+1.

Nope...I think it is possible they could both endup in the West, especially Minnesota. I would
NOT root for Nevada to beat the Gophers. I held season tickets for 21 years, and would still hold them if we didn't winter in Arizona.

You can be a great fan of more than one program. I have season tickets to 4 different programs. I think the GOPHERS are better than Nevada but that does not mean Pitino is a better coach. Musselman has done a fantastic job so far. Pitino has done a nice job this year but no one would say what he has done so far is fantastic. That does not mean i am not a fan of the program or that i hope Pitino fails because i do not. I just have very high standards for what a great coach gets done . This is a fan base that thinks Jerry Kill did a great job, i think he did ok. People think Clem did a great job i think he harmed the program in a big way. Dutcher, fair to good. Lets see if Pitino gets them to a conference power, that is what great coaches do. Each fan can decide for themselves how to define it. Just because we define things in a different way does not make someone less of a fan. I know several people who give the largest amounts to this program who are not impressed and nationally the perspective from peers his name simply does not surface among coaches. Prove it by continually getting better. HE WILL HAVE THE TEAM IN THE TOURNEY THIS YEAR. And he deserves credit for that but then compete at the top of the conference next year. Instead of assuming that he is great, i will be cheering for it.

Nope...I think it is possible they could both endup in the West, especially Minnesota. I would
NOT root for Nevada to beat the Gophers. I held season tickets for 21 years, and would still hold them if we didn't winter in Arizona.

Would you be a prick if Nevada beat Minnesota?

Yup

You can be a great fan of more than one program.

Can you be annoying on one of those teams fan boards by consistently posting about those other programs and reminding everyone about how great those other programs are?

Yup.

Can objectively look at a team and a coach and offer a opinion, just like you offer yours. It is not a detriment to how a program improves. It is pointing out exactly how mediocre programs became meaningful and sustainable. UW was really pathetic with only the faithful 5000 still going to games but i was on Pat Richters committee to search hard for the right coach who could build,get the facilities and be endorsed by Wooden, Knight,Jud and Al MCGUIRE.. I was asked here but not involved and not against Pitino but against the process Teague used. There was a stratedgy on how to craft your list to get your 1st choice and it should not have been Shaka as he was not going to come. There were people on the search who wanted Tony Bennett but there was zero chance of that. There were regional assistants available who i thought knew the conference better and that would build it with defense from day one. Once they made their choice i stood behind it all the way including now. My gripe is how poorly the learning curve was to commit to defense as i always believed that the only way to do it was defense unless you will recruit at the highest level like CREAN has done but what he did was not sustainable. Every program that was mediocre or worse that built real success did it on a foundation of defense. This years experience and defense has yielded good results but just feel like the word great gets thrown around for very little accomplishment. I DO NOT belittle you for your opinions that insult others. I have supported this program at the highest level for several decades and will continue to do it but not blindly by overlooking absolute failure over 50 years in hoops and basketball.

Can objectively look at a team and a coach and offer a opinion, just like you offer yours. It is not a detriment to how a program improves. It is pointing out exactly how mediocre programs became meaningful and sustainable. UW was really pathetic with only the faithful 5000 still going to games but i was on Pat Richters committee to search hard for the right coach who could build,get the facilities and be endorsed by Wooden, Knight,Jud and Al MCGUIRE.. I was asked here but not involved and not against Pitino but against the process Teague used. There was a stratedgy on how to craft your list to get your 1st choice and it should not have been Shaka as he was not going to come. There were people on the search who wanted Tony Bennett but there was zero chance of that. There were regional assistants available who i thought knew the conference better and that would build it with defense from day one. Once they made their choice i stood behind it all the way including now. My gripe is how poorly the learning curve was to commit to defense as i always believed that the only way to do it was defense unless you will recruit at the highest level like CREAN has done but what he did was not sustainable. Every program that was mediocre or worse that built real success did it on a foundation of defense. This years experience and defense has yielded good results but just feel like the word great gets thrown around for very little accomplishment. I DO NOT belittle you for your opinions that insult others. I have supported this program at the highest level for several decades and will continue to do it but not blindly by overlooking absolute failure over 50 years in hoops and basketball.

perfect example.

You can be a great fan of more than one program. I have season tickets to 4 different programs. I think the GOPHERS are better than Nevada but that does not mean Pitino is a better coach. Musselman has done a fantastic job so far. Pitino has done a nice job this year but no one would say what he has done so far is fantastic. That does not mean i am not a fan of the program or that i hope Pitino fails because i do not. I just have very high standards for what a great coach gets done . This is a fan base that thinks Jerry Kill did a great job, i think he did ok. People think Clem did a great job i think he harmed the program in a big way. Dutcher, fair to good. Lets see if Pitino gets them to a conference power, that is what great coaches do. Each fan can decide for themselves how to define it. Just because we define things in a different way does not make someone less of a fan. I know several people who give the largest amounts to this program who are not impressed and nationally the perspective from peers his name simply does not surface among coaches. Prove it by continually getting better. HE WILL HAVE THE TEAM IN THE TOURNEY THIS YEAR. And he deserves credit for that but then compete at the top of the conference next year. Instead of assuming that he is great, i will be cheering for it.

With what Jerry Kill inherited, he DID do a great job. And had the health issues not interrupted what he had going on here, my guess is last season would have been a 10-12 win season and recruiting would have continued to improve over previous years and this next season would have been another double digit win season, too. He was building depth and strength, he was getting the program to the point where they could have stopped needing to rebuild and could have instead, started to simply reload. He got players going into the NFL again. He was the most respected Div 1 cfb coach in the business outside of Saban, and if on-field performance wasn't given such importance, he would have been considered THE MOST respected coach in all of football. He would have gotten us to the Big Ten title game and into the Top 10 in the rankings on a regular basis and possibly to the point of beating out the likes of OSU and Michigan and PSU, as well and into the Cfb Playoffs. I believe that if given enough time, another 4-6 years, he may have gotten us a Natl Title.

He inherited a dumpster fire with one of the lowest fb budgets and almost the worst facilities in the conference and DESPITE all of those obstacles, got the team to the point of being able to win 8 games consistently, and was able to beat the likes of Iowa and Nebraska and Wisconsin and was able to keep close to Championship caliber teams like TCU and OSU.

Dutcher also inherited a program that was recovering from a scandal and NCAA sanctions, yet was able to produce one of the greatest lineups in NCAA mens bb history in that 1977 team that went 24-3, and a Big Ten Title team in 82, and Dutcher's teams also produced a sh1tload of NBA players. Had that 1977 team been allowed to compete in the NCAA tourney, that would have helped recruiting a lot and Dutcher may have done more than win that one Big Ten Title in 82.

And no one here is saying that Pitino is a great coach, or that he's done a fantastic job so far.

What people ARE saying, is that he's got recruiting going in the right direction, and now we are seeing the results of that improved recruiting on the court, as the Gophers have gone from worst last year to a projected #7 seed in the NCAA tourney this year.

Pitino's team this year has a Top 25 rating in the RPI, and has a Top 25 ROAD win, 2 Top 50 TRUE ROAD wins, and 3 Top 50 non-home wins.

THIS Pitino has more Top 50 rpi wins (4) than the elder Pitino has with UL. UL is only 3-5 vs Top 50 rated rpi teams so far this season.

THIS Pitino has kept this team from losing a single home game vs a non-Top 50 rated team, and he's kept them from losing a single ROAD game vs a team rated worse than #79 in the rpi.

10 of the 11 Top scorers, rebounders, shot blockers and ball stealers on this team are coming back next season.

And the top 3 scorers, the top 5 rebounders, the top 4 ball stealers and the top 5 shot blockers are all coming back.

That is close to the entire starting lineup. Springs will be missed, obviously, but with the recruiting class we have coming in, the future simply looks frigging awesome.

Oh, and as for Clem, NO ONE HERE thinks Clem didn't harm the program. And no one here is claiming that Clem was a GREAT coach.

He inherited great players from Dutcher, that combined with some good players he brought in, he benefitted from that original group being together for 4 years, growing together, learning how to play together, and finally learning how to win when it mattered most, in March.

But then he had to rebuild, and struggling to do so fast enough after his own team had raised the bar in 1990, he started recruiting head cases and non-students and he started cheating by having someone do their homework for them so as to keep them seemingly eligible. Now granted, those players were entertaining to watch and the 1997 season was a very memorable season for most Gopher fans, and despite that season being stripped from the record books, that doesn't change the fact that it happened and most Gopher fans, if not all Gopher fans, at the time, did really enjoy that season.

All of that said, NO ONE HERE claims Haskins to have been a "great" coach.

All I've done is compare what his teams did in 1989 and 1990 during the regular season with what Pitino's current team is doing during the regular season, so as to see what could be ahead for THIS team come NCAA tournament time.

i was on Pat Richters committee to search hard for the right coach

giphy.gif

Yes, big power brokers like you post on the GopherHole all the time. Give me a break.

Not a big power broker. Retired. I am even handed enough that i never complain about officiating. I just see things without the bias of ONLY following one program. I just want to aim higher. I want the Alvarez results, not the Kill. I want Big 10 titles. My firm has represented coaches who have won 42 power conference titles so i know a bit of greatness when i see it. You do not like comparisons but point out Richard versus Rick. That is foolishness. Louisville plays in a much more difficult conference.

Would you be a prick if Nevada beat Minnesota?

Yup

Can you be annoying on one of those teams fan boards by consistently posting about those other programs and reminding everyone about how great those other programs are?

Yup.

My guess is you would be a prick if Minnesota beat Nevada. You would be all over me like a cheap suit with "See,see I told you so" Hater's going to hate.

With what Jerry Kill inherited, he DID do a great job. And had the health issues not interrupted what he had going on here, my guess is last season would have been a 10-12 win season and recruiting would have continued to improve over previous years and this next season would have been another double digit win season, too. He was building depth and strength, he was getting the program to the point where they could have stopped needing to rebuild and could have instead, started to simply reload. He got players going into the NFL again. He was the most respected Div 1 cfb coach in the business outside of Saban, and if on-field performance wasn't given such importance, he would have been considered THE MOST respected coach in all of football. He would have gotten us to the Big Ten title game and into the Top 10 in the rankings on a regular basis and possibly to the point of beating out the likes of OSU and Michigan and PSU, as well and into the Cfb Playoffs. I believe that if given enough time, another 4-6 years, he may have gotten us a Natl Title.

He inherited a dumpster fire with one of the lowest fb budgets and almost the worst facilities in the conference and DESPITE all of those obstacles, got the team to the point of being able to win 8 games consistently, and was able to beat the likes of Iowa and Nebraska and Wisconsin and was able to keep close to Championship caliber teams like TCU and OSU.

Dutcher also inherited a program that was recovering from a scandal and NCAA sanctions, yet was able to produce one of the greatest lineups in NCAA mens bb history in that 1977 team that went 24-3, and a Big Ten Title team in 82, and Dutcher's teams also produced a sh1tload of NBA players. Had that 1977 team been allowed to compete in the NCAA tourney, that would have helped recruiting a lot and Dutcher may have done more than win that one Big Ten Title in 82.

And no one here is saying that Pitino is a great coach, or that he's done a fantastic job so far.

What people ARE saying, is that he's got recruiting going in the right direction, and now we are seeing the results of that improved recruiting on the court, as the Gophers have gone from worst last year to a projected #7 seed in the NCAA tourney this year.

Pitino's team this year has a Top 25 rating in the RPI, and has a Top 25 ROAD win, 2 Top 50 TRUE ROAD wins, and 3 Top 50 non-home wins.

THIS Pitino has more Top 50 rpi wins (4) than the elder Pitino has with UL. UL is only 3-5 vs Top 50 rated rpi teams so far this season.

THIS Pitino has kept this team from losing a single home game vs a non-Top 50 rated team, and he's kept them from losing a single ROAD game vs a team rated worse than #79 in the rpi.

10 of the 11 Top scorers, rebounders, shot blockers and ball stealers on this team are coming back next season.

And the top 3 scorers, the top 5 rebounders, the top 4 ball stealers and the top 5 shot blockers are all coming back.

That is close to the entire starting lineup. Springs will be missed, obviously, but with the recruiting class we have coming in, the future simply looks frigging awesome.

Oh, and as for Clem, NO ONE HERE thinks Clem didn't harm the program. And no one here is claiming that Clem was a GREAT coach.

He inherited great players from Dutcher, that combined with some good players he brought in, he benefitted from that original group being together for 4 years, growing together, learning how to play together, and finally learning how to win when it mattered most, in March.

But then he had to rebuild, and struggling to do so fast enough after his own team had raised the bar in 1990, he started recruiting head cases and non-students and he started cheating by having someone do their homework for them so as to keep them seemingly eligible. Now granted, those players were entertaining to watch and the 1997 season was a very memorable season for most Gopher fans, and despite that season being stripped from the record books, that doesn't change the fact that it happened and most Gopher fans, if not all Gopher fans, at the time, did really enjoy that season.

All of that said, NO ONE HERE claims Haskins to have been a "great" coach.

All I've done is compare what his teams did in 1989 and 1990 during the regular season with what Pitino's current team is doing during the regular season, so as to see what could be ahead for THIS team come NCAA tournament time.

Wow....

Not a big power broker. Retired. I am even handed enough that i never complain about officiating. I just see things without the bias of ONLY following one program. I just want to aim higher. I want the Alvarez results, not the Kill. I want Big 10 titles. My firm has represented coaches who have won 42 power conference titles so i know a bit of greatness when i see it. You do not like comparisons but point out Richard versus Rick. That is foolishness. Louisville plays in a much more difficult conference.

Then name me who UL beat ON THE ROAD???

My two favorite teams won their last games. Nevada blitzed UNLV 104-77. The Gophers are sitting
at #21 RPI rating. Nevada at #40. Nevada needs to win the Mountain West, or the Conference Tourney. My buddy in Vegas says Nevada at this time is projected as the last 4 in. CBSSN has the Gophers in as a #7 after beating Iowa. I'm guessing Nevada coming in much higher. You guys love busting my chops, but it is possible the Gophers could play Nevada the way it stands right now. Pipe Dream you say? Never say never...........

If Muss was not the coach of the team would you still list Nevada as one of your 2 favorite teams?

I didn't think so. That means you are not a fan of Nevada, but a fan of Muss. Nothing wrong with that, but I really doubt you're a Nevada "fan".

If Muss was not the coach of the team would you still list Nevada as one of your 2 favorite teams?

I didn't think so. That means you are not a fan of Nevada, but a fan of Muss. Nothing wrong with that, but I really doubt you're a Nevada "fan".

You're correct sir. And I would also say Northwestern is my second favorite team because I like
FITZ! I wouldn't root against the Gophers against Nevada. and I certainly don't root for the Wildcats when they face the Gophers. I will say being out West here I get all the PAC 12 games and the Mountain West games. Not saying good or bad, but the pace is much quicker and the officiating is much better, especially in the PAC 12.

My guess is you would be a prick if Minnesota beat Nevada. You would be all over me like a cheap suit with "See,see I told you so" Hater's going to hate.

I highly doubt I would post anything regarding the opposing team we beat on the Minnesota fan forum.

Please find one post where I was a "see see" kind of guy on these forums.

Wow followed by wtf and smh in disbelief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't think Jerry Kill could have gotten us a Big Ten title and into the cfb playoffs?

And he was very highly respected, don't you agree? He did things the right way. In a poll of cfb coaches, asking them who they would send their son to play for, if they were not allowed to play for their dad, and Jerry Kill came in 2nd behind Saban.

You don't think Jerry Kill could have gotten us a Big Ten title and into the cfb playoffs?

And he was very highly respected, don't you agree? He did things the right way. In a poll of cfb coaches, asking them who they would send their son to play for, if they were not allowed to play for their dad, and Jerry Kill came in 2nd behind Saban.

Just me, but I don't think Kill would have got us past 8 regular season wins.

I guess he doesn't like Clem.

Top Bottom