Athlon: Ranking the Big Ten's Football Rosters for 2017 (#13. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

Nowhere To Go But Up For New Coaches
The Big Ten's newest coaches in the conference have almost nowhere to go but up in terms of talent. P.J. Fleck at Minnesota and Jeff Brohm at Purdue should focus on the offensive side of the roster and see some quick results, while Tom Allen at Indiana would benefit from attempting to continue to improve things on the defensive side of the ball.

Full list:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-football-rosters-2017

Go Gophers!!

Wow no way this team is definitely top 5 talent wise :confused:

Well we didnt finish in 13th place and dont lose anyone I am aware of that isnt irreplaceable so I dont see how the ranking can be that low. Its athlon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

I'm not sure recruting is as much like the NFL where you just pick a big focus like offense.

That's not to say people don't try, but the turnover is so frequent, depth of talent all over the map that really I think the end result is you just do your best to get what you can get ... everywhere.

No way we're 13th. Just can't be.

The rankings appear to be based solely on recruiting rankings and nothing on performance. Better title of the article would be "Ranking the Big Ten's recruiting classes over the years"

Better indication of talent over the years would be draft picks, or All Big Ten selections.

The rankings appear to be based solely on recruiting rankings and nothing on performance. Better title of the article would be "Ranking the Big Ten's recruiting classes over the years"

Better indication of talent over the years would be draft picks, or All Big Ten selections.

Or if they're going to claim to "rank the rosters" they could actually look at the players on the roster and rank them on who actually has the best players as of today on their roster.

But that would require them to actually do some work and not just post an already made list.

I guess losing Mitch hurt us more than we thought. With Mitch- definitely Top 5.

Yeah, obviously a really shaky methodology here. It assumes players don't develop or change at all over the course of their 4 most formative years as a player and person, and that they are all islands of physical attributes and not a team of any sort. If it meant anything, Rutgers would have won a lot more in 2016, where they were placed 9th in the talent pecking order. Iowa was 11th in their 2016 version after going 12-0 in regularly scheduled play in 2015.

Wow no way this team is definitely top 5 talent wise :confused:

You're unwittingly arguing against your own point. Somehow this 13th-most-talented team (which is patently and ridiculously absurd, btw) managed to finish 7th in the Big Ten last season.

You're unwittingly arguing against your own point. Somehow this 13th-most-talented team (which is patently and ridiculously absurd, btw) managed to finish 7th in the Big Ten last season.

Not sure what you mean I said they were top 5 talent wise and anything less than 9 wins is a failure.

Things like this article don't bother me. I don't think the team believes they are 13th and that is what really matters.

I believe all rankings. They can't be wrong.

Guys, no one should be upset about this ranking, in fact it should be seen as a very good thing.

Thing is, ever since Kill got here, the team has finished WAY BETTER than the recruiting rankings would otherwise indicate we should have.

That is a good thing. Imagine how good we will do if we can start to improve on recruiting, especially if Fleck is as good of a coach as some here think he will be.

I think this just shows how bare the cupboard is for PJ. Hopefully he can do a great job of coaching them up.

If we get to 6-6 this year with this roster and a new QB, it will be a hell of a job by him. With the amount of culture change that needs to happen to clean up this program, and the lack of talent returning, we can only hope for the best.

Go PJ!

I think this just shows how bare the cupboard is for PJ. Hopefully he can do a great job of coaching them up.

If we get to 6-6 this year with this roster and a new QB, it will be a hell of a job by him. With the amount of culture change that needs to happen to clean up this program, and the lack of talent returning, we can only hope for the best.

Go PJ!

Buffoonery

We get some offensive linemen healthy we will be fine. I think the kid from Kentucky will come in and win the job at QB.

Well, even if we go onto great success, going from awful to mediocre was still a really important step.

Well, even if we go onto great success, going from awful to mediocre was still a really important step.

I think people forget that the Gophers have really only been awful 5 of the last 20 years. 2 Mason seasons, 2 Brewster seasons, and 1 Kill season. 15 of the last 20 years have been mediocre.

Top Bottom