Former Gopher Captain Norries Wilson Joins Fleck's Staff as Director of Player Dev

nsmike

Reaction score
Football Scoop has an announcement, saying that Norries is leaving Rutgers and coming back to the U, as the Director of Player Development. He made one of my all time favorite football memories when they put him in as a NT (he was an OL) on the goal line. He hit the center so hard he knocked him back into the QB and stacked the whole thing up.

Nice addition to the staff. Wilson was a great Gopher, captain of the team, he also wrestled for the Gophers.

He was interim-HC at Rutgers and HC at Columbia for a number of years.

Football Scoop has an announcement, saying that Norries is leaving Rutgers and coming back to the U, as the Director of Player Development. He made one of my all time favorite football memories when they put him in as a NT (he was an OL) on the goal line. He hit the center so hard he knocked him back into the QB and stacked the whole thing up.

ELITE!!!

Does he count towards the spot, they were supposedly saving for scherels?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Does he count towards the spot, they were supposedly saving for scherels?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No Director of Player Development is an administrative position.

While true, wasn't he already introduced at the signing day social?

This is awesome - having a former I-AA head coach in an administrative role is a nice bonus.

Ray Hitchcock chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

No Director of Player Development is an administrative position.

...and they are not saving a spot for Sherels. That is a contrivance of a couple of writers and several GopherHolers. Never been remotely uttered by anyone on the program nor AD.

Nice addition to the staff. Wilson was a great Gopher, captain of the team, he also wrestled for the Gophers.

He was interim-HC at Rutgers and HC at Columbia for a number of years.

Great addition! Its hard to think of a tougher place to coach than Columbia, but like El Amin wrote, he was able to hold the job for several years.

That is a contrivance of a couple of writers and several GopherHolers. Never been remotely uttered by anyone on the program nor AD.

Not true. He is the only coach from the Claeys staff who still has a profile on the Gopher Sports website, and he's listed without a title. The NCAA is likely to approve a 10th full-time assistant in April. The current LB coach is also the DC, making it easy for Sherels to slide into that spot if it is in fact approved.

There are several pieces of circumstantial evidence to suggest that this is not "contrived". Someone with your insider status should be aware of these things.

...and they are not saving a spot for Sherels. That is a contrivance of a couple of writers and several GopherHolers. Never been remotely uttered by anyone on the program nor AD.

Als the folks who think Malik Zaire is coming here... sheesh!

They're probably not allowed to discuss it because the league doesn't allow the position yet. Promising a job that could potentially never be available is also a slippery slope of bad PR.

Great addition! Its hard to think of a tougher place to coach than Columbia, but like El Amin wrote, he was able to hold the job for several years.

If you've got a commute to work, I can recommend "The Season" podcast that follows Columbia's 2015 football season. They hadn't won a game the previous 2 years, but had somehow coaxed one of the winningest coaches in Ivy League history to come out of retirement to take their vacant job. Pretty fun listen: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/theseason

Oh, and this is WAY off topic, but I posted elsewhere and will continue doing so, lol. I finished "The Greatest Game Every Played" on audiobook this week, and it was among the finest pieces of sports writing I've ever come across. Just fantastic. If anyone here likes golf in the least, you absolutely must listen!

I went to school with Norries

I sat next to him in a History class and let me tell you , he was HUGE!! One time we got back our papers and he says, "Mother F--- I PASSED!!!!" Everyone kind of laughed but he was a good guy. I remember in that disastrous 1983 season when every possible thing went wrong he fell on starting RB Valdez Baylor's leg in practice, ending his season. Wilson was there for the very worst of it but got to enjoy the resurgence under Holtz and eventually got to be a captain.

Good to see the big guy back!!!

Top Bottom