Sid Hartman: Recruiting turns for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Recruiting turns

Perhaps the biggest signee of Pitino’s tenure here was Amir Coffey, the four-star standout who had offers from programs such as Baylor, Indiana, Michigan State, Texas and Wisconsin but decided to stay home.

And now Pitino has commitments for next season from Jamir Harris, a guard out of New Jersey, and Isaiah Washington, a four-star guard out of the Bronx in New York, who is looking like one of the best players in the country.

“Isaiah Washington just put up 55 points in a league game which is exciting because he’s a good scorer but he’s a terrific passer. To see a guy doing that is great,” Pitino said. “I believe we’re really turning the corner with everything, with recruiting, I think we have some really good young talent if you look at our team.”

And the 2018 recruiting class is already a positive with another big in-state signee in Daniel Oturu of Cretin-Derham Hall.

It’s that kind of consistent recruiting, mixed with the good young players that Pitino already has, that makes him believe the program is on the way up.

“I was always concerned when I had gotten here, we weren’t building,” he said. “We were treading water. We had an older team, and we were trying to win around that team. We didn’t have a lot of good, young talent at the time, and now I feel like we’ve got that. That’s the way that you win in this league is through great recruiting.

“You have to do it not one class but one, two, three classes on top of each other. I’m excited about really where we’re going.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-pitino-s-young-gophers-showing-signs-of-a-turnaround/413360713/

Go Gophers!!

And I'm also excited. I just can't hide it.

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

The only downer is not getting a big guy in next years class to go with what appears to be two excellent guards.

The only downer is not getting a big guy in next years class to go with what appears to be two excellent guards.

Agreed but hopefully we get Fitzgerald back from injury and that helps shore up our bigs.

Next year isn't here yet. Still got time for a spring signee, regular transfer or grad transfer. As stated often, a spot usually comes open for any number of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As discussed on other threads, perhaps Pitino can add a big man if Gilbert or Gaston move on.

He did make another offer on a 2017 big man after both 2017 guards had signed which seemed conspicuous... haven't heard a lot of noise about this since

Not ideal to miss on Jericho - seems like staff had all their eggs in that basket from what I recall and Reuvers wasn't given as much attention (seemed a little spurned based on his comments after signing with WI).

On the other hand, Washington is looking more and more like a huge coup for program, and Harris looks solid as well.

I give props to Pitino for not forcing Gaston to move on. The kid must be willing to settle for a good education.

I give props to Pitino for not forcing Gaston to move on. The kid must be willing to settle for a good education.

Agreed. If he wants to play ball and move on, fine. If he is satisfied being a practice player and getting a world class education, more power to him. He won't see any meaningful court time and likely knows it. The choice is his.

Next year isn't here yet. Still got time for a spring signee, regular transfer or grad transfer. As stated often, a spot usually comes open for any number of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think we'll be looking for a grad transfer this spring. Next year we will still have Lynch and Bakary at center and Murphy, Curry, and Fitzgerald to play the 4. I could certainly see us getting a regular transfer with a year or two left though, or a grad transfer in the '18 class.

And remember, one of the reasons the Minnesota kid said he's coming to MN in 2 years is because Lynch will be rolling out of the program and they'll need him.

Find a younger big guy and jeopardize losing a top recruit? Nah.

I don't think we'll be looking for a grad transfer this spring. Next year we will still have Lynch and Bakary at center and Murphy, Curry, and Fitzgerald to play the 4. I could certainly see us getting a regular transfer with a year or two left though, or a grad transfer in the '18 class.

With his injury history, banking on Fitzgerald being anything more than a 7th-8th man for his Gopher career is a bit risky. I'm in the camp that it would be nice to add a serviceable big for 2017-18. Doesn't need to be a scorer. Defend and rebound, and preferably more skilled than Bakary. Certainly it appears there will be at least 1 additional scholarship opening up.

Top Bottom