Charge/Block Double Foul in Purdue vs. Indiana Game

GFBfan

Reaction score
Never seen a call like that before.
Thomas Bryant drives lane. Dips shoulder into Caleb Swanigan. One ref calls charge, another calls it a block.
They meet and decide to call a double foul. It is foul number 5 on both. How the h*** can they make that a double foul?

Never seen a call like that before.
Thomas Bryant drives lane. Dips shoulder into Caleb Swanigan. One ref calls charge, another calls it a block.
They meet and decide to call a double foul. It is foul number 5 on both. How the h*** can they make that a double foul?

Yes, that was a chickensh1t call. Both teams get screwed over because they can't make a decision?

Better to screw both than one.

Was kind of thinking along those same lines. If they truly couldn't agree on what was the right call then the only options are wave it off completely or call the double foul. Didn't see the play in question but guessing double foul was probably only the real option.

I was gonna start a thread on this too. Such a cop out. Make a call

Was kind of thinking along those same lines. If they truly couldn't agree on what was the right call then the only options are wave it off completely or call the double foul. Didn't see the play in question but guessing double foul was probably only the real option.

I don't see how you can call a double foul, either the defender had position or he did not, you can't say he had position but still fouled him. I can see waiving it off, but no way you can call a double foul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did get this right... once each official signals a call which they both did, had different calls at the exact same time. U have no other option but to give each player a foul. They can't go back and change one. This is a rule.. point of interruption ball goes to team with the ball. It sucks but nothing else they could have done.

I thought it was a charge. Bryant was stumbling and out of control, lowering his shoulder and initiating contact into Swanigan's chest.

I thought it was a charge. The official who called the block was behind the play, and probably didn't see Bryant lower his shoulder when he plowed into Swanigan.

They did get this right... once each official signals a call which they both did, had different calls at the exact same time. U have no other option but to give each player a foul. They can't go back and change one. This is a rule.. point of interruption ball goes to team with the ball. It sucks but nothing else they could have done.

Confused by this explanation. Two officials interpreting a play in separate ways does not mean that two different fouls occurred. In my understanding, a charge/block/player-control foul is the result of a single action. I fail to see how this play is not mutually exclusive.

Confused by this explanation. Two officials interpreting a play in separate ways does not mean that two different fouls occurred. In my understanding, a charge/block/player-control foul is the result of a single action. I fail to see how this play is not mutually exclusive.

The play is mutually exclusive, but the above explanation is clear indicating when there are different simultaneous interpretations they have to call it on both. The only resolution I see is that one of the refs "gives up" to the other who had a better view. Since that is not a reviewable play, they can't do that. Reviewing might get it right in these rare circumstances (it clearly was a charge-Bryant bowled him over), but I don't want refs going to the monitor 15 times a game on disputed fouls. Would rather live with the human error.

Tough week for refs on rare and weird calls.

Top Bottom