MSU Football Sexual Assault Scandal

Dantonio's resume and response are definitely equal to TC's

Bad news for the players:

"The university also is conducting a Title IX investigation of the sexual assault allegations. Title IX consultant Rebecca Veidlinger has been retained to conduct this investigation, which will address whether MSU’s Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct policy was violated. She will report her findings to the Office of Institutional Equity."

They didn't name the players?

While you're taking a victory lap celebrating sexual misconduct at another B1G football program, tell me who said that this was unique to Minnesota and TC?

I don't think that's what he was doing. I could be wrong, but I had a totally different take on the OP.

I don't think that's what he was doing. I could be wrong, but I had a totally different take on the OP.
Well, I would hope not, but dpodoll68 hasn't hesitated to be harsh on posters that have a different opinion than him.

Dantonio's resume and response are definitely equal to TC's
It appears that the MSU Athletic Dept has been clear and decisive in taking action in this case.

While you're taking a victory lap celebrating sexual misconduct at another B1G football program, tell me who said that this was unique to Minnesota and TC?

I'd pay more attention to the "culture" comment in that post. It was very well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that they brought in an outside Title IX investigator. MSU has already differentiated itself, from the U.

A thorough explanation of the situation, process and expectations. Even a quote directly from the AD. How refreshing.

These statements from the admins have gotten to be a bit over the top. Making such pompous and grandiose statements while suspending the players prior to the findings (I realize these actions are "best public-relations practice" even if not mandated by the EOAA) of even a preliminary investigation already paints a picture of guilt in the eyes of the public. The pitchforks are out in East Lansing. How about just saying the players are suspended pending the outcome of internal and police investigations? Not enough for Pitchfork Nation?

“The core values of MSU Athletics are clear, consistently communicated and non-negotiable. Among them are respect for self and others, accountability for actions and choices, and integrity. Sexual assault is unacceptable, and members of MSU Athletics who fail to uphold our standards for creating a culture that is safe, supportive, and responsive to those affected by it will be held accountable. My expectation of all members of the department is full and complete cooperation with all investigations. We have a strong athletics program at MSU, one based on values, traditions, and an understanding that as Spartans we are part of something bigger. Our promise to current and future student-athletes and to the entire Spartan community is to take the steps necessary, based on the facts determined through thorough review, to run this program according to the highest values and standards.” -Athletic Director Mark Hollis - See more at: http://btn.com/2017/02/09/michigan-...l-assault-investigation/#sthash.ePFk9847.dpuf

^

Agreed. I see a lot of posts praising the AD, but none expressing concern over the lack of due process. Not only are they suspended from all team activities, but they have been kicked out of their homes.

As for not releasing the names - if this had happened during the season, you can bet we would know who they are. We'll probably eventually find out regardless.

^

Agreed. I see a lot of posts praising the AD, but none expressing concern over the lack of due process. Not only are they suspended from all team activities, but they have been kicked out of their homes.

As for not releasing the names - if this had happened during the season, you can bet we would know who they are. We'll probably eventually find out regardless.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the presumption of innocence is relevant only in the justice system and not extended to privileges offered by the institution. It is a privilege and not a right to rent dormitory housing as well as a privilege to be an scholarshiped athlete at the university, so the university is within its rights to suspend those privileges. I would hope that they wouldn't do so unless it had strong evidence to suggest there was wrong doing by the student-athletes. There must be significant evidence that the staff member, whoever that is, participated in concealing information from other university staff.
Unfortunately, there is no way of swiftly and reliably judging the case fully before the legal process can take place. But, what if this student-athlete were not removed from the dormitory and committed a second sexual assault at the dorm? The university is at significant risk and has to take actions based on the weight of evidence that a violation may have occurred to protect other students.
It's possible that this S-A could win his case against the charges or even be exonerated, yet still have to suffer disruption to his life and reputation while appropriately receiving "due process". The biggest issue is whether the "due process" is fair, impartial, and not political, which was proven not to be the case with some of the Gopher football players.
Let's hope this situation is fairly judged, but I can't blame the football program or university for taking the actions that they have unless something is revealed to show that they made the decisions on weak information.

I think he's taking a shot at the folks who make comments about how some stuff only happens here and other BS they think because they straight up don't know any better.

As for MSU, here is hoping they have a more mature process than we do.

A quick review of their SB site and many have the usual cassandra-reflex stating their program is a national disgrace, dumpster fire, throw away the key on these guys, etc. Funny as this is the first I've heard of this and I scour the news every day. Apparently their hysteria over their school includes the horrifying revelation the band director sent texts to a student in a mildly innapropriate manner (not close to flat and mega x-rated but inappropriate nonetheless "hey send me a picture of you in that dress") and one of their players was recently cited for spitting at a parking police officer.

I'll withhold judgment on MSU approaching dumpster fire level. Will the DA prosecute? Will the EOAA investigation leak? Will Dantonio dismiss from the team or wait for the facts, such as they are, come to light?

^

The key is the university should not name them.

This happening at Mich St proves there were no underlying issues in our program. Hell, no issues at Baylor either!

That's not what he is saying. You don't condemn an entire program for the actions of a couple.

I think he's taking a shot at the folks who make comments about how some stuff only happens here and other BS they think because they straight up don't know any better.

That's what I was thinking, but I will let dpo clarify if he thinks he needs to.

I'm not lauding the AD. I was just remarking his getting out front marks a departure from our recent experience.

Wait, I thought Coyle was powerless and couldn't launch an independent investigation.

These statements from the admins have gotten to be a bit over the top. Making such pompous and grandiose statements while suspending the players prior to the findings (I realize these actions are "best public-relations practice" even if not mandated by the EOAA) of even a preliminary investigation already paints a picture of guilt in the eyes of the public. The pitchforks are out in East Lansing. How about just saying the players are suspended pending the outcome of internal and police investigations? Not enough for Pitchfork Nation?

“The core values of MSU Athletics are clear, consistently communicated and non-negotiable. Among them are respect for self and others, accountability for actions and choices, and integrity. Sexual assault is unacceptable, and members of MSU Athletics who fail to uphold our standards for creating a culture that is safe, supportive, and responsive to those affected by it will be held accountable. My expectation of all members of the department is full and complete cooperation with all investigations. We have a strong athletics program at MSU, one based on values, traditions, and an understanding that as Spartans we are part of something bigger. Our promise to current and future student-athletes and to the entire Spartan community is to take the steps necessary, based on the facts determined through thorough review, to run this program according to the highest values and standards.” -Athletic Director Mark Hollis - See more at: http://btn.com/2017/02/09/michigan-...l-assault-investigation/#sthash.ePFk9847.dpuf

I was just going to comment on this.

I am sure I'll get torn apart for this, but Coyle would have been criticized for saying sexual assault. There haven't been any actual charges presented and he threw out that term. His statement didn't really say anything other than the common thought process. No additional information regarding anything for the situation other than using the term sexual assault to describe why he is reacting to the investigation. This may be a more severe case or it could be similar to what went on here.

Pump the brakes a bit before applauding Michigan State for their process.

I was just going to comment on this.

I am sure I'll get torn apart for this, but Coyle would have been criticized for saying sexual assault. There haven't been any actual charges presented and he threw out that term. His statement didn't really say anything other than the common thought process. No additional information regarding anything for the situation other than using the term sexual assault to describe why he is reacting to the investigation. This may be a more severe case or it could be similar to what went on here.

Pump the brakes a bit before applauding Michigan State for their process.
I still applaud them for bringing in an outside investigator, rather than going with an in house investigation, where the head was on record as saying, 'the culture of the football team needs changing'.

I still applaud them for bringing in an outside investigator, rather than going with an in house investigation, where the head was on record as saying, 'the culture of the football team needs changing'.
Fair enough on that point

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ideally I think you hire an outside investigator... even if possible an outside team to act as "judge".

Top Bottom