Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 59 of 59
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    7,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    As has been pointed out before these pompous asses:

    - implied repeatedly the players are guilty of rape, which they were never charged for much less convicted of
    - despite privacy laws took every opportunity to discuss the players and sexual assault, victims in the same breath
    - stated the sexual assault training clearly failed in this situation and the players need different training
    - never took the liberty of stating "withhold judgment" pending the formal hearing
    - blamed Claeys for not suspending the players while they had access to the police reports
    - stated it was Claeys decision to suspend rather than Coyle
    - communicate so poorly the team mutinied HMS Bounty- style
    - communicate so poorly the dept had to issue a press release to clarify Claeys buyout amount
    - publicly degraded the character of the past and former coaches and the team as a whole
    Don't forget stating they are giddy with the way it turned out...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala


  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    7,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherHomer View Post
    I think you mean 'implied' and not 'inferred.' The speaker does the implying, and the listener does the inferring. I learned that from Lisa Simpson.
    Fair enough. Either way, time for the whole distasteful situation to be done with.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

  3. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Neither Coyle nor Kaler called anyone a rapist.
    I disagree. You may equivocate all you want, but when asked about people calling for his head, Kaler said that if he got fired for standing with victims of sexual assault, that he was ok with that.

    Perhaps I missed the several other alleged cases of sexual assault on campus that had people calling for Kaler's head. There was one. The details were out there sexual intercourse happened. If those acts were not consensual that meets the definition of rape.

  4. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    I disagree. You may equivocate all you want, but when asked about people calling for his head, Kaler said that if he got fired for standing with victims of sexual assault, that he was ok with that.

    Perhaps I missed the several other alleged cases of sexual assault on campus that had people calling for Kaler's head. There was one. The details were out there sexual intercourse happened. If those acts were not consensual that meets the definition of rape.
    If you want to infer that line of thinking out of what he said, that is your prerogative, but the fact remains that he did not say "Student-Athlete is a rapist" or "There are multiple rapists on the University of Minnesota football team" or anything of the sort.

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    If you want to infer that line of thinking out of what he said, that is your prerogative, but the fact remains that he did not say "Student-Athlete is a rapist" or "There are multiple rapists on the University of Minnesota football team" or anything of the sort.
    He did not use those words, but the inferred meaning was crystal clear, again, unless you can point to the multiple other sexual assaults on campus that he was under fire for, then, perhaps it is less clear.

  6. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    He did not use those words, but the inferred meaning was crystal clear, again, unless you can point to the multiple other sexual assaults on campus that he was under fire for, then, perhaps it is less clear.
    It only really matters from a legal standpoint. Nothing he said is actionable.

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    It only really matters from a legal standpoint. Nothing he said is actionable.
    That may be true, but I've seen less be included successfully in trials before. All depends on the attorney and the judge.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    He did not use those words, but the inferred meaning was crystal clear, again, unless you can point to the multiple other sexual assaults on campus that he was under fire for, then, perhaps it is less clear.
    There is a nationwide conversation about sexual assaults on college campuses. A primary reason we have this separate EOAA quasi-judicial system on college campuses is that the criminal justice system is perceived to have woefully failed in the investigation and successful prosecution of these cases. The legitimacy of the numbers of assaults on campuses can be difficult to pin down, but whatever the number of actual assaults, the level of successful prosecutions is close to zero and many find that to be unacceptable. That's the audience Kaler is speaking to when he talks about standing with victims of sexual assault.

    As a result of the lack of satisfactory resolutions from the criminal courts, we have seen the rise of student conduct code systems that result in "convictions" with little due process in the guise of providing safe environments on college campuses. The issues that plague criminal prosecutions of sexual assaults--lack of concrete evidence, credibility disputes, chemical and alcohol involvement, etc., are seen as barriers to justice and are therefore largely eliminated in the code of conduct investigations--proving affirmative consent makes almost any encounter subject to an adverse finding if any party to the encounter calls consent into question.

    So we have a two part system in place where it seems that almost no set of facts can successfully support a criminal conviction, but almost every set of facts can give rise to a colorable claim of a conduct code violation. Neither system seems just.

  9. #54

    Default

    Mods, can we please move all this conversation in with the other thread?

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Getting this back on topic, 'the MSU investigation', a member of the staff, the director of, academic advancement and development, is suspended with pay pending the investigation. The reason for his suspension other than involvement in the investigation wasn't stated. I'm guessing, failing to report a violation or something similar, but I have nothing to base it on.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere Cold
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Hey, how about that MSU scandal?

  12. #57

    Default

    From ESPN:

    Michigan State police submits requests for arrest warrants in sexual assault investigation.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...-investigation
    Now living in Coon Rapids

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    From ESPN:

    Michigan State police submits requests for arrest warrants in sexual assault investigation.

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...-investigation
    So it was explained on another forum that in Michigan that request is basically the way the police hand off information to the attorneys to make the call if THEY want to get a warrant.

    Word has it the attorneys told them to go back and get more information.... it sounds like they're on the cusp of making arrests.... or not at all.

  14. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    So it was explained on another forum that in Michigan that request is basically the way the police hand off information to the attorneys to make the call if THEY want to get a warrant.

    Word has it the attorneys told them to go back and get more information.... it sounds like they're on the cusp of making arrests.... or not at all.
    Yeah that is how I read the article also. The headline of the ESPN article is misleading.

    Big difference between "arrest warrant issued" and "submit a request for arrest warrant to be issued"

    In this case it is the latter.
    Now living in Coon Rapids

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •