On Pace to Set Team Record For Blocked Shots in a Season

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
Team sets new record for Blocked Shots - thru 2/25

According to gophersports.com they have been tracking blocked shots since the 1976-77 season. Not sure how we did in the vacated seasons that they don't list totals for in the mid to late 90's but in nearly 40 years of tracking blocks this team seems like a lock to end up #1 all-time in blocked shots. Much of that is Lynch but he is getting plenty of help from others on the team.

All-Time this is what I found for blocked shot totals:

1. 16-17 - 218 - 7.0 avg - through 31 games
2. 08-09 - 201 - 6.1 avg
3. 09-10 - 199 - 5.7 avg
4. 02-03 - 196 - 5.9 avg
5. 12-13 - 187 - 5.5 avg
6. 11-12 - 186 - 4.9 avg
7. 10-11 - 169 - 5.5 avg

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/m-baskbl-statistics-by-year.html

Thanks for compiling this - interesting to see.

Last night's block parade was amazing to watch.

Trevor could block a ton of shots, but I think Lynch is our best shot blocker since Przybilla.

Go Gophers!!

Nice data and it will be impossible for them to miss. If my California math is correct and the team played just 8 more games for the year (assuming the worst, no post season but one Big tournament game) then just 1.25 blocks a game the remaining 8 games and they would average 5.6 for the year.

What impresses me is that many of these blocks are actually retrieved by the Gophers and quickly turned into points. I hate it when shot blockers swat shots into the third row just for show. I'm showing my age, but I don't remember seeing Bill Russell doing that.

It's been so much fun seeing so many shots swatted. I definitely think we will make the tournament, and if we are healthy and clicking, I think there are very few teams who we have absolutely no chance of beating. Not saying the probabilities would be good, but just knowing the capability is there is exciting. I felt that way when we won in Tubby's final year, but the first two years in the tournament I didn't feel like there was a real possibility of making it to the Sweet 16.

Updated through Rutgers game.

I'm pretty sure McHale, Thompson and Winey had some pretty impressive block totals.

Imagine how much better it could be if Reggie could stay on the court!

Reggie is 11 blocks away from breaking the single season blocks record held by Randy Breuer.

What impresses me is that many of these blocks are actually retrieved by the Gophers and quickly turned into points. I hate it when shot blockers swat shots into the third row just for show. I'm showing my age, but I don't remember seeing Bill Russell doing that.

Too young to remember Russell but from what I've read, he was the best ever at blocking a shot to turn it into offense.

One thing I love, is even when Lynch and Co don't get the block, they alter the shot. Guards are worried to get to the rim and when they try to with Lynch out of the game, Murphy, Curry and others have been contesting and blocking quite a few.

Really fun to see that change from last year

One thing I love, is even when Lynch and Co don't get the block, they alter the shot. Guards are worried to get to the rim and when they try to with Lynch out of the game, Murphy, Curry and others have been contesting and blocking quite a few.

Really fun to see that change from last year

I honestly don't think it is getting enough attention which is why I started this tread because I had a feeling they had to be contending for best in team history and was correct. Having great shot blockers is a huge weapon because it makes people think twice about taking the ball to the rim. Anyone that has played basketball knows how much it sucks to get your shot blocked.

More often then not when a shot gets blocked it was probably taken from a high percentage position on the court meaning those blocks have a very good chance of taking points off the board for the other team.

Being at that game vs. Iowa was crazy... Was it 14 blocks in regulation? Whatever # it was it was pretty impressive and had to be intimidating as hell.

I honestly don't think it is getting enough attention which is why I started this tread because I had a feeling they had to be contending for best in team history and was correct. Having great shot blockers is a huge weapon because it makes people think twice about taking the ball to the rim. Anyone that has played basketball knows how much it sucks to get your shot blocked.

More often then not when a shot gets blocked it was probably taken from a high percentage position on the court meaning those blocks have a very good chance of taking points off the board for the other team.

Having guys who can swat shots away also gives the perimeter players more freedom to close out on the threes. I think the three point defense might be the most improved area of the team, and it is no accident that it coincides with having multiple guys who can block shots.

Indiana game added. 4 more for Lynch as well to keep him in the mix with the best in the Nation. Those 6 blocks in the first half were huge in keeping the score tight while the team struggled to find its own shot.

Not coming without a cost. As Pitino said, Lynch is leading college ball with "and one" fouls. Sometimes the reason you block so many shot (or try to) is because you're in bad defensive position.

I wish there was some sort of stat tracking block quality.

It's one thing to block a shot by swatting it out of bounds.

It's another to block it and keep it in play, giving your team a chance to turn it into something.

Reggie's blocks more often than not fall into the latter category. I love it. How about the one in first half where he blocked it and caught it? Awesome.

I wish there was some sort of stat tracking block quality.

It's one thing to block a shot by swatting it out of bounds.

It's another to block it and keep it in play, giving your team a chance to turn it into something.

Reggie's blocks more often than not fall into the latter category. I love it. How about the one in first half where he blocked it and caught it? Awesome.

Some guys want the emphatic swat it out of bounds and get their "look at me" moment. For the most part our guys don't seem to go for that type. It would be interesting to have a stat like that but I know I am not going to go back and look at 180 some blocks and divide them up :)

Lynch Mob!

Lynch is leading the NCAA in blocks in the 6 Major conferences. Lynch gets a majority of his blocks on his man. Pryzbilla seemed to get a good share going to "help" on someone else, when he blocked it great, when he missed his man got a free rebound and dunk! Love the way Lynch blocks and keeps it in play. He is slow laterally and that seems to cost him positioning but he has such excellent timing.

Trevor could block a ton of shots, but I think Lynch is our best shot blocker since Przybilla.

Go Gophers!!

Lynch is leading the NCAA in blocks in the 6 Major conferences. Lynch gets a majority of his blocks on his man. Pryzbilla seemed to get a good share going to "help" on someone else, when he blocked it great, when he missed his man got a free rebound and dunk! Love the way Lynch blocks and keeps it in play. He is slow laterally and that seems to cost him positioning but he has such excellent timing.

RANK NAME TEAM BLKS
1 Liam Thomas Nicholls St. 99
2 Ben Lammers Georgia Tech 85
3 Justin Tuoyo Chattanooga 83
4 Reggie Lynch Minnesota 81
5 Tai Odiase Ill.-Chicago 75
6 Andre Washington East Car 74
7 Jacob Wiley Eastern Wash. 72
8 Amida Brimah UConn 70

Those numbers are through today. Agree that Lynch usually gets the block on his guy. He gets in trouble when he tries to go after someone else or get the block while moving. If he can just play straight up he is really good at timing his jump to get a clean block.

Only 3 blocks tonight against Michigan and none for Lynch. Per game average dropped from 6.8 to 6.6 but still well above the all-time best average of 6.1. Main post has been updated to include tonights game. With a minimum of 6 games to go (4 regular season, 1 guaranteed in the Big Ten Tournament, and at least 1 game in the tournmant) the team is still on pace to get it done as long as it stays close to the 6 block average in most games.

8 more in the big road win over Maryland tonight and a bunch of them were key blocks down the stretch to help ice the game. Team has officially moved into a tie for 4th all-time in total blocks.

9 blocks at halftime of the Penn State game. Might just break the single season record today at this rate. Lynch already set the single season block record and now can begin putting some distance between himself and second place.

Not sure how you change a thread title but with 15 against Penn State this years team is all alone in first place all-time for Gopher basketball. Lynch's 11 today were just unreal

11 more against Nebraska tonight. Minimum of 3 games left to go meaning this team has a real shot of going for 250 blocks on the season. At this point #1 in the Nation might even be doable.

11 more against Nebraska tonight. Minimum of 3 games left to go meaning this team has a real shot of going for 250 blocks on the season. At this point #1 in the Nation might even be doable.

What are we at now?

What are we at now?

Just checked the stats and factored in tonights game. Didn't realize that heading into the game we were already #1 in average and #2 in total blocks. After tonight we are sitting as follows:

Average per game
Minnesota - 7.1
Oregon - 6.8

Total Blocks
Minnesota - 213
Oregon - 203

Reggie is in a heated battle with a guy from Georgia Tech for second individually. The guy in first has a pretty sizable lead although Reggie does have 17 blocks in the last 2 games so I guess anything is possible at this point.

Just checked the stats and factored in tonights game. Didn't realize that heading into the game we were already #1 in average and #2 in total blocks. After tonight we are sitting as follows:

Average per game
Minnesota - 7.1
Oregon - 6.8

Total Blocks
Minnesota - 213
Oregon - 203

Reggie is in a heated battle with a guy from Georgia Tech for second individually. The guy in first has a pretty sizable lead although Reggie does have 17 blocks in the last 2 games so I guess anything is possible at this point.

Thanks for the info!

"Reggie does have 17 blocks in the last 2 games" is an insane comment. That is just remarkable.

"Reggie does have 17 blocks in the last 2 games" is an insane comment. That is just remarkable.

Crank the insanity up another level and add in that he has 17 blocks while committing only 3 fouls.

At the end of the regular season the U ends up in first in both average blocks and total blocks in the NCAA (Oregon came in second in both). Reggie is in 2nd overall for individual blocks.

Top Bottom