Fran McCaffery, The New Bo Ryan??

Twinsfan007

Reaction score
Looks like Bo is back! Man will he ever shut up?! His stomping around and the face he makes when he's not happy is beyond ridiculous. He's taken the mantle from Bo on the most annoying and hated coach in the Big Ten. So glad we won.

It would seem so. It's certainly not Greg Gard. That guy is downright likable, confound it.

I've always hated Iowa with a passion, but have never really hated their coaches in either football or basketball. That said, I really, really hate McCaffery. Not only does the guy whine and cry literally every game, but he looks like angry grandmother while doing it. "Frantrum" is one of my favorite phrases and the guy does it all the time.

With that said, the guy is a hell of a basketball coach. What he's done at Iowa is amazing. He's been 12-6 in conference play twice at IOWA(!). As of today, he actually has a winning record in Big Ten conference play for his career after taking over for Todd Lickliter.

He should've been teed up so many times during that game. I'd be embarrassed to have him as my coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He should've been teed up so many times during that game. I'd be embarrassed to have him as my coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really only thought they deserved a T when the entire Iowa coaching staff was throwing a sh!t fit on the court after the jumpball/timeout fiasco. That was just ridiculous and was handled poorly by the officials I thought. A lot of times it seems they allow Fran way to much latitude with stuff like that.

I really only thought they deserved a T when the entire Iowa coaching staff was throwing a sh!t fit on the court after the jumpball/timeout fiasco. That was just ridiculous and was handled poorly by the officials I thought. A lot of times it seems they allow Fran way to much latitude with stuff like that.

What I don't understand is how an entire coaching staff gets away with that. They are supposed to be the leaders out there. If one of their players just looks cross-eyed at a ref, that player gets T'd up. It has always been that way I guess. I remember Jim Dutcher on the sideline opposite Bobby Knight. Jim was really calm. Bobby controlled the game by controlling the refs. It took trowing a chair across the court to finally have them do something about it.

It would seem so. It's certainly not Greg Gard. That guy is downright likable, confound it.

Agreed. Hating Wisconsin is just a part of me. But it was so much easier when Bo was the coach. It compounded the hatred. Now, with Gard coaching, my hatred is back to when Dick Bennett coached there. Hate Wisconsin, but respect the coach and program.

One game over .500 in 7 years is ok to me, not amazing. The way he conducts himself on the court is deplorable and i have to say the same for Bo Ryan. Ryan was a incredible coach but it is no excuse for acting the way he did. Very few conduct themselves with grace and class. I can list them on one hand.

One game over .500 in 7 years is ok to me, not amazing. The way he conducts himself on the court is deplorable and i have to say the same for Bo Ryan. Ryan was a incredible coach but it is no excuse for acting the way he did. Very few conduct themselves with grace and class. I can list them on one hand.

That's one thing I always appreciated about Tubby, actually. Very dignified. It always seemed like we ended up not getting some calls because of it, though. The squeaky wheels do tend to get the grease. The best coaches in the sport are also generally rage-maniacs on the sidelines. The difference between an Izzo or Coach K and a Fran or Bo, is that the former are generally (though not always) a little less petulant when things don't go their way.

We sat by a nice couple from Iowa last night. They were very uneasy with his behavior, and were pained when I brought it up. We had several other very pleasant discussions, but they were clear they find his behavior embarrassing.

Fran is a headcase and a terrible coach to boot. Bo won, Fran does not. Plus I do not think Bo would ever walk off the court without shaking the opposing teams hands and coach...

Fran is a headcase and a terrible coach to boot. Bo won, Fran does not. Plus I do not think Bo would ever walk off the court without shaking the opposing teams hands and coach...
Huh? I could've sworn that he did shake Pitino's hand after the game. I thought you could see it on BTN, I could be wrong though.

Huh? I could've sworn that he did shake Pitino's hand after the game. I thought you could see it on BTN, I could be wrong though.

He did that against UND in non-conference. Fran refused to have his team or coaching staff shake hands with UND because of how the game was officiated. Thought UND was overly aggressive with his players.

Reference to the Iowa/North Dakota game earlier this year not last night

One of these times we're going to witness Fran stroke out our have a seizure on the sideline. He needs to get a hold of himself before this happens.

What I don't understand is how an entire coaching staff gets away with that. They are supposed to be the leaders out there. If one of their players just looks cross-eyed at a ref, that player gets T'd up. It has always been that way I guess. I remember Jim Dutcher on the sideline opposite Bobby Knight. Jim was really calm. Bobby controlled the game by controlling the refs. It took trowing a chair across the court to finally have them do something about it.

Right at the end of that kerfuffle the ref turn around and ran smack into an assistant who I thought maybe leaned into that collision. I really thought that would be the straw that broke the camels back, but that particular assistant had been fairly calm up to that point, and the ref let it go.

I was shocked that they did not get a technical foul for that. There is no way their whole staff should have been allowed out there to get in the face of the officials like that. Speaks to the overall poor way the refs handled that game last night all the way around. Just glad our guys made enough plays to get the W, would have been heart breaking to come out on the wrong side of a hard fought battle like that.

Right at the end of that kerfuffle the ref turn around and ran smack into an assistant who I thought maybe leaned into that collision. I really thought that would be the straw that broke the camels back, but that particular assistant had been fairly calm up to that point, and the ref let it go.

I saw that, too. I was wondering what it was going to take to get a technical called. It seemed to me the Iowa coaches were wondering, too; it was like an experiment or a game of chicken.

He's taken the mantle from Bo on the most annoying and hated coach in the Big Ten.

Well, they do have something else in common. They both originated from the Philadelphia metro. Coincidence? Maybe not.

Actually, not being a native Minnesotan or graduate of the U of M (actually got my undergrad degree from Iowa), I don't have an inherent hatred of Wisconsin. I didn't care too much for Bo's personality, but I really respected his abilities as a coach. Although Bo was kind of a jerk, I don't remember him ever stomping around and screaming and ranting like McCaffrey. McCaffrey often is as bad as Bobby Knight in his heyday.

I have always hated Fran the cry baby more than any other coach in the BIG. Of course I HATE Iowa more than any other team. I have always called them the Hogeyes, paying homage to their state critter, the Pig!! Fitting I guess McCaffrey as their coach, he is a pig. By the way Fran could you get a different tie, you have been wearing the same one for about 7 years.

The thing about many of the other coaches discussed is that while they may obnoxious and vocal, most of them don't look like they are out of control that way Fran does. He isn't just angry, he's enraged much of the time. Sorry, but it strikes me not as a coaching technique but as a character flaw.

Fran doesn't use Bo's patented towel-handoff substitution technique...

Top Bottom