ESPN (Iowa born) announcer: Iowa now 7-5-1 in BT after beating MN and losing to refs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I am hearing a lot of Iowa fans say the play should have been reviewed by the refs and overturned. Is that actually consistent with the rules? My understanding is you can only do a review on an out of bounds call in the last two minutes. Once it was called a jump ball, it seems to me that any possibility of a review went out the window. Can anyone confirm?

Considering Peter Jok was in the game for the last 5 minutes, the overall officiating wasn't biased in our favor. That call was bad but so was Jok sitting with 4 fouls when he hacked while pressing and fouled Coffey every time he went to the basket.

I was going to put this in my game thoughts comments, but logged on to the site and this thread immediately grabbed my attention. Losing to the refs? ARE YOUR F'ING KIDDING ME? The Gophers got jobbed in this game on their home court and it was brutal. I was pretty disappointed that the home crowd didn't voice their displeasure with the refs until Dupree was obviously fouled in transition right before the under 12(?) timeout. I can't remember every call from this game, but their was the Springs charge take that was called a block and an and 1, a phantom offensive foul on Bakary where he would have had an easy put back, a major push off by Moss to free himself or an open jumper, another foul on Bakary where some guy from Iowa was stonewalled and just threw up a prayer...and these were just in the first few minutes of the game. In the second half, Iowa's run started when Jok blatantly fouled Dupree (on the first of his two turnovers in a row) when attempting to trap him. Amir Coffey had a clear block on Jok called a foul. Late in regulation, there was a huge "foul" on Akeem where Jok had stepped on Coffey's ankle and then stepped on Akeems foot and simply fell down. In the second OT, Jok fouls Amir and and Coffey gets no call (What a response by Coffey to that, I loved it) and later on Murphy gets called for a foul on one of the cleanest blocks you will see. Now, I will say that after the crowd FINALLY really got after the officials after that call that I thought we got the better end of things. They immediately called Iowa for a foul on the ensuing inbounds and then called them for an offensive foul later on.

I hope our home crowd looks at that Murphy "foul" and realizes what type of affect an angry response can have on an officiating crew. I'd love to see that type of reaction early in the first half...set the tone that we expect the same type of advantage at home that we have to fight against on the road.

another ESPN blowhard. And from Iowa.

I was going to put this in my game thoughts comments, but logged on to the site and this thread immediately grabbed my attention. Losing to the refs? ARE YOUR F'ING KIDDING ME? The Gophers got jobbed in this game on their home court and it was brutal. I was pretty disappointed that the home crowd didn't voice their displeasure with the refs until Dupree was obviously fouled in transition right before the under 12(?) timeout. I can't remember every call from this game, but their was the Springs charge take that was called a block and an and 1, a phantom offensive foul on Bakary where he would have had an easy put back, a major push off by Moss to free himself or an open jumper, another foul on Bakary where some guy from Iowa was stonewalled and just threw up a prayer...and these were just in the first few minutes of the game. In the second half, Iowa's run started when Jok blatantly fouled Dupree (on the first of his two turnovers in a row) when attempting to trap him. Amir Coffey had a clear block on Jok called a foul. Late in regulation, there was a huge "foul" on Akeem where Jok had stepped on Coffey's ankle and then stepped on Akeems foot and simply fell down. In the second OT, Jok fouls Amir and and Coffey gets no call (What a response by Coffey to that, I loved it) and later on Murphy gets called for a foul on one of the cleanest blocks you will see. Now, I will say that after the crowd FINALLY really got after the officials after that call that I thought we got the better end of things. They immediately called Iowa for a foul on the ensuing inbounds and then called them for an offensive foul later on.

I hope our home crowd looks at that Murphy "foul" and realizes what type of affect an angry response can have on an officiating crew. I'd love to see that type of reaction early in the first half...set the tone that we expect the same type of advantage at home that we have to fight against on the road.

I agree. We were at the game in the upper deck and I didn't get a good luck at this call that pissed off Iowa fans, but there were many calls that went Iowa's way including McBrayer being hacked twice trying to get out of traps. That's what got Iowa back into the game.

Quit whining. The Iowa player had every opportunity to call a TO prior to getting tied up and he tried to burn more clock. Sorry....but if there's no hand signal made....or the refs can't hear you....then they can't exactly award you a TO.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quit whining. The Iowa player had every opportunity to call a TO prior to getting tied up and he tried to burn more clock. Sorry....but if there's no hand signal made....or the refs can't hear you....then they can't exactly award you a TO.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The main reason everyone is so up in arms about the non timeout is that anyone who saw it on TV clearly heard him call for a timeout. Of course the thing those people are forgetting is that just because he happened to be near a court mic and the viewing audience could hear the call does not mean that the officials in a stadium full of screaming fans could.

Bottom line is both teams have plenty to gripe about with the officiating last night. The points on Jok are 100% correct and it is an absolute joke that he did not get called for his 5th foul at multiple times late in the game when he was being extremely physical.

I assume they can't review a play to make sure the foul was called on the right player otherwise they definitely should have taken a look at Murphy's 5th foul and correctly given it to Curry.

All around it was a brutal night for the refs but I honestly think that without the timeout thing, Iowa fans would be far less up in arms then they are right now about it.

Yeah the refs were very bad both ways. Sounds like we got away with one on that play but some of the fouls on Lynch and Murphy, plus the absence of fouls against jok, were why the game was close to begin with. Either way, I'm just glad to be on the winning side and being able to downplay the refs rather than complain about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a terrible call by the refs. Putrid. However, if you watch the play again, Iowa gets the steal just outside of the free throw line. It's not like their guy picked up the ball in the corner and got stuck there. They actually threw the ball backwards into the corner, and then their guy was stupid enough to pick up his dribble in the corner. Instead of being mad at the ref who screwed up, Frannie should probably be ticked at his guys for making two idiotic decisions.

My takeaway:

-The refs were awful all night (majority of calls favored Iowa)
-The better team won. Period.

The main reason everyone is so up in arms about the non timeout is that anyone who saw it on TV clearly heard him call for a timeout. Of course the thing those people are forgetting is that just because he happened to be near a court mic and the viewing audience could hear the call does not mean that the officials in a stadium full of screaming fans could.

Bottom line is both teams have plenty to gripe about with the officiating last night. The points on Jok are 100% correct and it is an absolute joke that he did not get called for his 5th foul at multiple times late in the game when he was being extremely physical.

I assume they can't review a play to make sure the foul was called on the right player otherwise they definitely should have taken a look at Murphy's 5th foul and correctly given it to Curry.

All around it was a brutal night for the refs but I honestly think that without the timeout thing, Iowa fans would be far less up in arms then they are right now about it.

I agree with all of this. +1.

This idiot doesn't know what it's like to be jobbed by officials...welcome to our world Iowa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would rank B1G officiating on the bottom tier of Power 5 conferences. I would rank the PAC 12
as the best.

This idiot doesn't know what it's like to be jobbed by officials...welcome to our world Iowa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They should have fun playing 8 on 5 at Wisconsin in March

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Any person or fan base who complains about the refs are flat out losers! Play hard, be prepared, leave it all on the floor, and you will determine the outcome.

I love you.

We've had tickets since 1990, and I don't remember when I've been this steamed about officiating coming out of a game. After returning home, I flipped on BTN and found out about the gifts we ourselves received, which made me feel a little better about the evening, but still.

Late in the game, I was bummed about giving up 48 points in the second half. Granted, the defense did slump some, but I do believe much of that was the NBA star treatment Jok was getting from the officials. He wasn't getting that in the first half, and the Gophs held them to 29 points. The second half became a different story because the Gophers were essentially prevented from defending Jok, and he and his teammates were allowed to do extraordinary things to free him up, including him pushing off his defender on almost every possession. When that happens, yeah, you're going to give up 48 points. I remember similar systematic things occurring on the road against premier programs, but to get that treatment at home against a middle-of-the-road program is aggravating. Again, part of the reason I dislike the NBA is the joke that is the officiating when a star player is in the room.

When the Gophers got the better of the officiating Saturday against Illinois I figured karma would kick in and we'd get the other end of that deal eventually.

The call at the end was missed, but Coffey was fouled multiple times with no call (Jok had about 5 fouls after he was at #4), and they fouled Coffey/McBreyer multiple times in creating the 'turnovers' during their 14-0 run. To say nothing of the offensive fouls they got away with. Zero sympathy.

Best of both possible worlds.

Gophers won. Iowa whining about it. Have absolutely no problem with it if it makes them feel even worse.

On Murphy's 5th: if can they go to replay to make sure the correct shooter is on the FT line, why not to check who the foul was on?

The call at the end was missed, but Coffey was fouled multiple times with no call (Jok had about 5 fouls after he was at #4), and they fouled Coffey/McBreyer multiple times in creating the 'turnovers' during their 14-0 run. To say nothing of the offensive fouls they got away with. Zero sympathy.

Definitely agree on the hand checks/arm bar/grabs Jok got away with and stayed on the floor compared to the call that sent Murphy to the bench.

On the fouls on the press i have no sympathy for the Gophers. Iowa was giving up easily on the press with the correct ball movement, we had guys who can't dribble in traffic trying to get through double teams instead of making the easy pass back to Mason. McBrayer, I am sure, will be embarrassed when he looks at the tape of that three minutes. I think Refs' look at it the same way, if you intentionally dive into a double team, their job isn't to bail you out of that decision.

Best of both possible worlds.

Gophers won. Iowa whining about it. Have absolutely no problem with it if it makes them feel even worse.
Yes - it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of it - may even sweeten it a bit.
Anyone have some salt?

We are still owed about 99 calls for all the times Chris Street crossed the baseline with his huge feet while guarding the inbounder and they never called a T or even gave him a warning.

Screw you, Iowa.

Should we remind him that Iowa won a NCAA tournament game because of a missed pushed off on Woodbury who then would score the game winning basket?

I was going to put this in my game thoughts comments, but logged on to the site and this thread immediately grabbed my attention. Losing to the refs? ARE YOUR F'ING KIDDING ME? The Gophers got jobbed in this game on their home court and it was brutal.

This was a 50 minute game and the refs didn't decide it. The split second time out/jump ball call didn't decide it. Jok may have gotten the star's benefit of the doubt on some calls, but those didn't decide the game either. The Gophers won and Iowa lost because of the following:

1) Iowa failed to box out and get a body on Jordan Murphy often enough;
2) Neither Bohannon nor Ellingson could guard Nate Mason driving to the hoop;
3) The team with the greater depth ran out of gas in the second overtime while the team with less depth, with one starter already fouled out, and with another starter fouling out in the second overtime retained their composure and made plays.

Remember, complaining about the refs is always, always, always, the stuff of losers. I'm surprised they never had a "Most Interesting Man in the World" commercial delivering that message. "Stay thirsty my friends!"

I was at the game, about 30 feet ( 8 rows) from the jump ball thing happened. He didn't call for time out- People were yelling Jump Ball. Listen to the tv coverage, and in your mind hear "jump ball" instead of "timeout" and tell me what you think.

The kid easily could have called one when he got the board. He just stood there for a moment until Richard yelled at guys to get the ball.

The most egregious call for me was the Jok foul on Coffey on a break away. He clearly was attempting to foul Coffey to prevent the fast break dunk. He was TRYING TO GET A FOUL called on him, which would have been his 5th. Sure, that missed call leads to a dunk, but still.

I thought the reffing crew poorly managed the end of the game, and didn't call a consistent game- but it wasn't like that jump ball this was a massive hose job- no matter what Iowa wants to think.

Top Bottom