ESPN (Iowa born) announcer: Iowa now 7-5-1 in BT after beating MN and losing to refs

I have said it before and I will say it again...B1G officials are the worst in the nation for BB as well as FB.
They let stuff go all game and then decide to start calling tick tacky crap!

I was at the game, about 30 feet ( 8 rows) from the jump ball thing happened. He didn't call for time out- People were yelling Jump Ball. Listen to the tv coverage, and in your mind hear "jump ball" instead of "timeout" and tell me what you think.

In the write-up I read this morning, even Ellingson admitted that he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner.

1jbrvv.jpg

We are still owed about 99 calls for all the times Chris Street crossed the baseline with his huge feet while guarding the inbounder and they never called a T or even gave him a warning.

Screw you, Iowa.

Hot damn, some of you guys have long memories. I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

I am hearing a lot of Iowa fans say the play should have been reviewed by the refs and overturned. Is that actually consistent with the rules? My understanding is you can only do a review on an out of bounds call in the last two minutes. Once it was called a jump ball, it seems to me that any possibility of a review went out the window. Can anyone confirm?

I was wondering about that too. Don't know the answer.

I love you.

We've had tickets since 1990, and I don't remember when I've been this steamed about officiating coming out of a game. After returning home, I flipped on BTN and found out about the gifts we ourselves received, which made me feel a little better about the evening, but still.

Late in the game, I was bummed about giving up 48 points in the second half. Granted, the defense did slump some, but I do believe much of that was the NBA star treatment Jok was getting from the officials. He wasn't getting that in the first half, and the Gophs held them to 29 points. The second half became a different story because the Gophers were essentially prevented from defending Jok, and he and his teammates were allowed to do extraordinary things to free him up, including him pushing off his defender on almost every possession. When that happens, yeah, you're going to give up 48 points. I remember similar systematic things occurring on the road against premier programs, but to get that treatment at home against a middle-of-the-road program is aggravating. Again, part of the reason I dislike the NBA is the joke that is the officiating when a star player is in the room.

When the Gophers got the better of the officiating Saturday against Illinois I figured karma would kick in and we'd get the other end of that deal eventually.

The favoring of Jok was obvious enough that S. Bardo (announcer on BTN) actually described that (paraphrasing here) 'since Jok is a stud player, the refs are going to favor him, and especially so in the Big Ten'. So it was as obvious to Bardo as it was to the rest of us.

Jok got at least 4 free throws on cases where refs gave him a foul where there was none, and possibly more. Considering he was swishing all of his FTs, that's a 4-point swing.

That said, watching over BTN, I didn't personally find it to be a horribly-reffed game, but it was approximately evenly called to the point of the late jump ball; slightly favoring Iowa. Given that it was a home game for the Gophers, however, a slight favor to Iowa seems a bit of a job...they were clearly due for a break.

Totally agree with brucekaupa. For us older Gopher fans the Iowa teams under Dr. Tom repeatedly violated the inbounding of the ball after an Iowa basket. Not only Street but Josh Settles and Brad Lohaus among others were culprits. The Gopher fans at the Iowa games in the barn would be screaming and yelling at the officials about the violation for the whole game, no calls made. Iowa fans complaining about the Murphy jump ball need to review NCAA rule book on inbounding the basketball and review tapes of the Dr. Tom years before they start complaining about calls not being made by the officials. They have very bad memories!

Totally agree with brucekaupa. For us older Gopher fans the Iowa teams under Dr. Tom repeatedly violated the inbounding of the ball after an Iowa basket.

Dr. Tom left Iowa at the turn of the century. Time to move on.

Dr. Tom was a gentleman on the whole. McCaffrey, on the other hand, is a very different personality type.

Hahaha. I for one love the Iowa fume. Inbreds.

WHO
HATES
IOWA

I was going to put this in my game thoughts comments, but logged on to the site and this thread immediately grabbed my attention. Losing to the refs? ARE YOUR F'ING KIDDING ME? The Gophers got jobbed in this game on their home court and it was brutal. I was pretty disappointed that the home crowd didn't voice their displeasure with the refs until Dupree was obviously fouled in transition right before the under 12(?) timeout. I can't remember every call from this game, but their was the Springs charge take that was called a block and an and 1, a phantom offensive foul on Bakary where he would have had an easy put back, a major push off by Moss to free himself or an open jumper, another foul on Bakary where some guy from Iowa was stonewalled and just threw up a prayer...and these were just in the first few minutes of the game. In the second half, Iowa's run started when Jok blatantly fouled Dupree (on the first of his two turnovers in a row) when attempting to trap him. Amir Coffey had a clear block on Jok called a foul. Late in regulation, there was a huge "foul" on Akeem where Jok had stepped on Coffey's ankle and then stepped on Akeems foot and simply fell down. In the second OT, Jok fouls Amir and and Coffey gets no call (What a response by Coffey to that, I loved it) and later on Murphy gets called for a foul on one of the cleanest blocks you will see. Now, I will say that after the crowd FINALLY really got after the officials after that call that I thought we got the better end of things. They immediately called Iowa for a foul on the ensuing inbounds and then called them for an offensive foul later on.

I hope our home crowd looks at that Murphy "foul" and realizes what type of affect an angry response can have on an officiating crew. I'd love to see that type of reaction early in the first half...set the tone that we expect the same type of advantage at home that we have to fight against on the road.

Sums it up nicely.

This is one of the best posts in a very long time. Has it been forwarded to an Iowa board yet?

On a related note, why does this Iowa native national reporter need to spew these things out? I thought journalists were supposed to be objective. Instead of spewing bitter drivel, he could have raised the legitimate question about the review rule on the jump ball, which I haven't seen a definitive answer to yet. Does the jump call override the last two minute out of bounds review? Our guy was clearly on the line when the tie up happened.

Glad we don't play them again, though.

I have said it before and I will say it again...B1G officials are the worst in the nation for BB as well as FB.
They let stuff go all game and then decide to start calling tick tacky crap!

That's not just a cliche. The Gophers blocked a couple shots in the first half that could easily been called fouls because of body contact, then fouls were called late in the game with NO contact. After a while, the refs know they've screwed both teams repeatedly, so everything becomes a makeup call.

Not to nitpick, but Iowa guy didn't dribble into the corner. Baer (I think) got the ball up near the free throw line, and passed it backwards into the corner, where the other Iowa guy took a couple of dribbles before picking up his dribble. I know this because I watched the highlights on Thursday morning. But now when I went to watch the BTN highlights from the game, that sequence has been totally removed from the video. The league office must have pulled it from the highlights, knowing they screwed up badly.

Not to nitpick, but Iowa guy didn't dribble into the corner. Baer (I think) got the ball up near the free throw line, and passed it backwards into the corner, where the other Iowa guy took a couple of dribbles before picking up his dribble. I know this because I watched the highlights on Thursday morning. But now when I went to watch the BTN highlights from the game, that sequence has been totally removed from the video. The league office must have pulled it from the highlights, knowing they screwed up badly.

It's still on Star Tribune in this article: http://www.startribune.com/iowa-felt-wronged-by-officials-in-double-ot-loss-to-gophers/413289663/

Ball is recovered at free throw line by Iowa. He then passes to Bohannon who is standing on the 3-point line about 7 feet from the baseline and 3 feet from the sideline near the Gopher bench. The double team slowly comes to him (plenty of time to do *something*). He then puts the ball on the floor and dribbles straight to the baseline (trying to go around Murphy) and gets trapped in the corner.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the ref on the baseline in that situation. He's counting down the backcourt time (he's at 6 seconds when the incident happens) and suddenly Bohannon drives to the baseline and Murphy cuts him off. The ref is focused on what's happening with the ball because he can't see it...which is why he doesn't see Murphy's foot on the baseline. He can't hear Bohannon whimper "time out" because 1X,000 fans are screaming in despair. He finally sees the ball and Murphy's hands are on it so he calls "jump ball".

BTW, at this point it doesn't matter if everyone on the bench is screaming "time out" directly into the ref's ear. Bohannon and Murphy have collectively screened 90% of the crowd and all three refs from seeing what's happening with the ball. A ref can't call a time out if he doesn't know for sure that a team has possession.

And Fran, you can't "pre-call" a time out. "I told the ref that we were going to call a time out!!!" Blow it out your hole.

I'd put the announcer in the same category as the ones that go out of their way to try to create a soundbite with over the top contrived screaming at the end of highschool basketball games when a winning shot is hit or something. Just comes off as dumb and fake to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Officials were bad both ways, but to say they cost Iowa the game is absurd. Plenty of other chances to win it, and they didn't play lock down defense when they needed to.

I'm pretty sure officials aren't full-time employees, which to me is mind-boggling with the amount of revenue conferences generate. If any of you watched Purdue/Indiana last night, it had one of the worst calls I've ever seen in my time watching basketball. Thomas Bryant runs over Caleb Swanigan on a drive late in the game, Swanigan beat him to the spot and clearly drew a charge. Baseline official a few feet away inexplicably calls a block, and the official on the perimeter calls a charge simultaneously. The officials convene and call a double foul, FOULING BOTH OUT. If I'm Matt Painter, it takes everything I have to not go off the rails and get tossed.

That's embarrassing both for the official who got it wrong and for the conference in a national TV game. You cannot have a block and a charge on the same play. It's also a situation where officials need to be held accountable and either explain to media after the game what they saw and what the conversation was after the fact or suspend them for a game. Imagine if something like that happened in that situation in the Big Ten title game or, heaven forbid, at the Final Four.

So am I right in thinking that the bench can no longer directly call a time out? Wasn't there a rule change on that?

Top Bottom