Mike Martz: "Philip Nelson can start at the next level...I'm convinced of it."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Mike Martz: "Philip Nelson can start at the next level...I'm convinced of it."

per Sid:

•Quarterback Phillip Nelson, who finished his college career with one year at East Carolina after playing two years for the Gophers, was the star of the NFL Player Association Bowl held last week in California.

Nelson completed 11 of 18 passes for 102 yards, one interception and rushed for one touchdown. He played so well that a headline on CBS Sports website read: "Former NFL coach: Philip Nelson can start at the next level." That coach was Mike Martz, who coached him in the game.

"I think Philip is a starter in this league," Martz said. "I'm convinced of it."

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...ms-to-hold-best-super-bowl-in-2018/413237703/

Go Gophers!!

11 of 18, 102 yds, 1 INT was the star of the game? Glad I didn't watch that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nelson always was talented, but I wonder if his character issues will scare teams off? In my opinion (obviously Martz's carries more weight) he is a borderline NFL prospect. Considering his past, I think teams won't want to invest a pick on him but he will likely get his chance as a free-agent. From there, if he cleans up his act, works hard, and succeeds anything's possible.

11 of 18 passes for 102 yards, one interception

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

Awesome that we are getting news about a former East Carolina grad and Rutgers transfer.

I know. I know...

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

He played so well

Hope you didn't see Mitch's numbers....

I actually watched the game and Philip made at least three or four passes that were dropped by his WR's. So, take that for what it is worth. Mitch looked like bad Mitch for almost the whole time he was in.

Awesome that we are getting news about a former East Carolina grad and Rutgers transfer.

I know. I know...

If only he was from the state or maybe went to the U or was a major U recruit at some point. Totally bizarre that the mods haven't locked this one up already.

I don't know why he gets all the hate on here. I, for one, thought he was really talented and just wasn't the right fit for Kill's system. He left because he also realized that. And honestly, Kill and his staff has no clue on how to develop QBs. Sure, after he left the program, he made a bad mistake in the heat of the moment, and has paid and will continue to pay for it for the rest of his life, but that doesn't mean he's a bad person and that we should root for him to fail. I hope he makes it and proves himself to be a good person.

Would have been nice if Kill had went with Phil 100% from the beginning.

If only he was from the state or maybe went to the U or was a major U recruit at some point. Totally bizarre that the mods haven't locked this one up already.

That's why I wrote "I know. I know"...

over. your. head.

I've posted this before, but if you actually did watch the game, Nelson did look good in this game. Stats didn't tell the story.

I've posted this before, but if you actually did watch the game, Nelson did look good in this game. Stats didn't tell the story.

I think most folks taking issue with the story is less about if he could have looked good, as much as those stats vs that game indicating someone is "next level".

"I think Philip is a starter in this league," Martz said. "I'm convinced of it."

In a related story, former NFL coach Mike Martz was found bound and gagged in an abandoned apartment near the In-N-Out Burger in Inglewood, California. Martz, 65, was dehydrated and a bit disoriented, but is expected to make a full recovery. Martz told authorities that he was accosted by a "handsome fellow who looked a lot like me, except with some type of an accent, like in Fargo." Motive for the kidnapping is unknown, but authorities said no ransom demand was made. It's believed that Martz' attacker spent several days in Southern California, impersonating the victim. He is still at large.

In a related story, former NFL coach Mike Martz was found bound and gagged in an abandoned apartment near the In-N-Out Burger in Inglewood, California. Martz, 65, was dehydrated and a bit disoriented, but is expected to make a full recovery. Martz told authorities that he was accosted by a "handsome fellow who looked a lot like me, except with some type of an accent, like in Fargo." Motive for the kidnapping is unknown, but authorities said no ransom demand was made. It's believed that Martz' attacker spent several days in Southern California, impersonating the victim. He is still at large.

Ha! Sounds like something Nelson would do

Anyone else blame the culture at the U for PN9's decision that evening in Mankato? Poor kid never had a chance.

I don't know why he gets all the hate on here. I, for one, thought he was really talented and just wasn't the right fit for Kill's system. He left because he also realized that. And honestly, Kill and his staff has no clue on how to develop QBs. Sure, after he left the program, he made a bad mistake in the heat of the moment, and has paid and will continue to pay for it for the rest of his life, but that doesn't mean he's a bad person and that we should root for him to fail. I hope he makes it and proves himself to be a good person.

Good points. Also, Mitch was about 3 for 12 with a fumble in that same game. I watched several of his E. Carolina games and he was passing better than he had here - but breaking into the pros will be tough.

Anyone else blame the culture at the U for PN9's decision that evening in Mankato? Poor kid never had a chance.

The world "culture" these days seems to just be "don't like it".... no idea how it became that.

Thing happen, culture.... stomach ache.. culture...

Lol.

The other incident did involve a good number of players not just one, which does more to raise thoughts about culture.

Nelson was a baller and a much better QB than Mitch. Too bad that he transferred and made a bonehead decision in Mankato. He would have been our best QB in a generation.

Nelson was a baller and a much better QB than Mitch. Too bad that he transferred and made a bonehead decision in Mankato. He would have been our best QB in a generation.

I can't disagree with this.

Nelson would've been good with what Tracy tried to do on offense last year. Much better fit for that.

11 of 18, 102 yds, 1 INT was the star of the game? Glad I didn't watch that game.

I did watch the game, kind of on accident. I flipped to FSN to see if the Wild or Wolves were on, and that game was on, and I saw Leidner, so decided to keep watching. Nelson must've just come in when I started watching. He was fully in command, and pointing at guys where to go after the huddle broke. He was extremely accurate, and kind of the victim (no pun intended) of some poor receivers. The announcers were just gushing over him. They called him a 5th round type, who could either spring up the boards, or go completely undrafted because of the off field concerns.

Nelson was the better of he and Mitch. Kill going with Mitch shows the past regime's inability to recognize QB talent.

Top Bottom