Springs the go-to defender?

Lakers612

Banned
Reaction score
Springs was covering Jok down the stretch. He looked comfortable doing it. Obviously he is a grad transfer so he has an age and a size advantage, but you would hop Coffey would be the guy to prevent a game-tying shot.

Do you think Coffey can be a lockdown defender as a Gopher? His offense, not to mention his vertical, is impressive

Springs has gotten better and better as the season has progressed. He's confident, he hustles like crazy, he's physical, he penetrates and doesn't rely on just shooting 3s, etc. While he's not our "best" player, I'd say he's been our MVP during the Big Ten season.

Good move by Pitino to start him and nice that McBrayer has continued to work hard and contribute off the bench.

Go Gophers!!

Later they went back to Coffey on Jok. I think Richard wanted to give Amir a vacation from guarding Jok for a while, especially once Iowa started to use more desperate means to get him open, including Jok pushing off on almost every possession down the stretch.

Springs has more bulk and a lower center of gravity, and seemed less tired. It looked like Pitino was testing the waters a bit, just to give Jok a different look to mess with him a bit, considering the very good man D of Coffey couldn't stop him anyway.

I questioned the move at the time, but it appears to have been the right call. At the very least, Springs' strength probably wore a bit at Jok. Jok appeared to be very tired by the end of the 1st OT.

The final 9 seconds Coffey was on Jok (Someone correct me if I misremembered that) and prevented him from getting the ball. Springs switched in after coffey got called for that foul on the block of Jok and Coffey was both tired and upset.

Meaning Coffey was still the go to defender. Now Springs did a very good job on Jok as well.

The final 9 seconds Coffey was on Jok (Someone correct me if I misremembered that) and prevented him from getting the ball. Springs switched in after coffey got called for that foul on the block of Jok and Coffey was both tired and upset.

Meaning Coffey was still the go to defender. Now Springs did a very good job on Jok as well.

Correct. Coffee kept the ball out of jok's hands at the end of regulation by beating jok to the screener. Great play by Coffee, as he forced a desperation attempt by the ball handler instead of a good look off a screen a la Koenig.

I want to say that Pitino had him well prepared for that out of the timeout but I've been reading lately that he is always out coached <sarcasm>.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom