ESPN: Instant impact recruit: Minnesota Gophers (Player: OL Blaise Andries)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Up next: Minnesota

Player: OL Blaise Andries

Offensive linemen don't always earn the most praise, but Andries could be a special player for the Gophers for years to come. He remained committed to Minnesota even after Tracy Claeys was fired, and new coach P.J. Fleck wisely made Andries one of his first priorities in retaining part of the Gophers' 2017 class. The 6-foot-5, 290-pound Andries was considered the top recruit in the state of Minnesota and was initially the first verbal commitment in his class.

ESPN's recruiting scouting report notes that run blocking is Andries' strength and that he "displays ability to come off with pad level and deliver a good pop and gain physical leverage." Minnesota is coming off a season in which it ranked fifth in the Big Ten in rushing offense and returns tailbacks Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith, who had a breakout season.

Another intriguing prospect for the Gophers is wide receiver Demetrius Douglas, whom Fleck helped flip from Oregon. Douglas, the son of former Minnesota receiver Omar Douglas, played both cornerback and receiver at Jesuit High School in Portland, Oregon. Douglas hauled in 38 passes for 885 yards and 10 touchdowns last season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/141222/instant-impact-recruit-minnesota-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Our "instant impact recruit" is likely to redshirt...:confused:

Handy-Holly or one of the 3 receivers will get the most PT. Some on here would say Morgan. Certainly not Blaise. We don't have anyone that screams instant impact though.

Where has it been said that Andries is likely to redshirt?

It hasn't necessarily been "said" that he is likely to RS but given our roster and the fact that we have 10 scholarship O-lineman all older than him with 5 likely penciled in as starters, it's not unreasonable to think he would RS.

It hasn't necessarily been "said" that he is likely to RS but given our roster and the fact that we have 10 scholarship O-lineman all older than him with 5 likely penciled in as starters, it's not unreasonable to think he would RS.

That and the fact that it is fairly rare for true freshmen to start on the O-lne because they usually aren't strong enough coming out of high school. That said it isn't impossible that he would earn a starting job right from the beginning. We have experience along the line but not a lot of star power so if he comes in right away and looks good I could see him playing early.

Fleck quipped at the signing social about how he was able to get the top safety from Alabama to come up here......."I showed him the depth chart." So I'll go with Candy Handy-Holly as Fleck referred to him.

For what its worth, I had heard the previous staff did not intend to redshirt Blaise.

For what its worth, I had heard the previous staff did not intend to redshirt Blaise.

I suspect redshirting is always kinda a fluid decision. You don't have to declare it outright or anything so as the season approaches it, how other players are doing, injuries during the season, player's attitude toward it (even his family), etc play into it a great deal.

Really hard to compare even say a September point of view toward a redshirt to say the previous November point of view.

Fleck has said he favors recruits who want to play as freshman. See Tanner Morgan. Blake is a 4 star recruit there is no one on the roster who is healthy that can keep him from starting. Maybe not at tackle, but a freshman year at guard is not beyond either the projection or possibility.

Fleck has said he favors recruits who want to play as freshman. See Tanner Morgan. Blake is a 4 star recruit there is no one on the roster who is healthy that can keep him from starting. Maybe not at tackle, but a freshman year at guard is not beyond either the projection or possibility.

I'd be shocked if he beat out Mayes, Weyler or Calhoun for any of the starting guard spots or any starter. He'd be a 5 star if that were true, he's not though he's a composite 3 star.

That and the fact that it is fairly rare for true freshmen to start on the O-lne because they usually aren't strong enough coming out of high school. That said it isn't impossible that he would earn a starting job right from the beginning. We have experience along the line but not a lot of star power so if he comes in right away and looks good I could see him playing early.

Just curious - how many true freshman have we had play on the o-line in the last 5 years? I have no idea.

Just curious - how many true freshman have we had play on the o-line in the last 5 years? I have no idea.

Mayes and Moore off the top of my head. Tommy Olson I believe did too though he was like 6 years ago

Not sure the exact number but the two that stick out are Tyler Moore and Connor Mayes. Moore started the final 8 games his true Freshman year.

OL to me is a position you RS at all costs. Barring unforeseen depth/injury issues or him just blowing everyone away, I hope we don't have to see him in any games next year.

Not sure the exact number but the two that stick out are Tyler Moore and Connor Mayes. Moore started the final 8 games his true Freshman year.

Mayes really shouldn't have been playing. The other two appeared ready and were used. Mayes, it was a waste.

Fleck quipped at the signing social about how he was able to get the top safety from Alabama to come up here......."I showed him the depth chart." So I'll go with Candy Handy-Holly as Fleck referred to him.

Even with Handy-Holly, I think it might be difficult for him to see a ton of time. That isn't a rip on him, but we have Winfield, Huff, McGhee, Ayinde, and even Dipre at S.

Based solely on who will get the most PT, I think the players most likely to have an immediate impact next year are a CB or maybe even a TE (if Lingen isn't healthy, the other TEs haven't shown a whole lot yet).

Mayes really shouldn't have been playing. The other two appeared ready and were used. Mayes, it was a waste.

Mayes probably should have redshirted but he still played in 8 games.

Even with Handy-Holly, I think it might be difficult for him to see a ton of time. That isn't a rip on him, but we have Winfield, Huff, McGhee, Ayinde, and even Dipre at S.

Winfield started over Huff, McGhee, and Ayinde last year and Handy-Holly is much higher rated coming out of high school. I could definitely see him playing over those guys this year.

Mayes probably should have redshirted but he still played in 8 games.

Winfield started over Huff, McGhee, and Ayinde last year and Handy-Holly is much higher rated coming out of high school. I could definitely see him playing over those guys this year.

Because of recruiting rankings?

But yeah, he could certainly jump him people. There are always guys who show up and blow through the depth chart. He could certainly be one of them. Winfield was one of them last year. Shannon Brooks was one of them.

By your rationale, it probably will be Andries. He was a much higher rated recruit than any of our OT.

But yeah, guys come in and shake all of that up every year. It could be Handy-Holley, I just meant that there isn't a glaring need at S right now. If he plays a lot, he won't be playing because of need (where some of the CBs and possible a TE might be), he'll be playing because he is that special kind of athlete.

Because of recruiting rankings?

But yeah, he could certainly jump him people. There are always guys who show up and blow through the depth chart. He could certainly be one of them. Winfield was one of them last year. Shannon Brooks was one of them.

By your rationale, it probably will be Andries. He was a much higher rated recruit than any of our OT.

But yeah, guys come in and shake all of that up every year. It could be Handy-Holley, I just meant that there isn't a glaring need at S right now. If he plays a lot, he won't be playing because of need (where some of the CBs and possible a TE might be), he'll be playing because he is that special kind of athlete.

No not just because of recruiting rankings and I disagree about the safety position. The biggest loss off of last year's team is Travis at S. I haven't been overly impressed by McGhee, Huff, or Ayinde and wasn't surprised when Winfield jumped them last year. I won't be surprised if/when Handy-Holly jumps them this year.

Yeah we've played freshmen before but .. the OL has often been a weakness. Not sure we've always played freshmen based on ideal planning as much as need to get another body in there.

Top Bottom