Any update on the open Board of Regent position? Predictions?

Stan

Reaction score
It's been pretty quiet. Is the Scarf Man still in the running?

From Charlie Walters the other day:

Don't Print That:

Many people are saying that Jim Carter "wowed" a few legislators when they spotted him leaving the Chanhassen Dinner Theater recently. Carter, a former Gopher and Green Bay Packer, was reportedly draped in an elaborately patterned multi-colored scarf that some people say has a price tag of around $300-$500. The often outspoken Carter is a candidate for the open U of M regents seat, which is appointed by the full state legislature.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/0...per-bowl-coin-flip-bernie-kukar-advises-refs/

I don't really get the hate for Jim Carter. If he were on the board perhaps we wouldn't have regents questioning how we can afford to pay a coach $3.5M/yr when the sport he coaches brings in $40M+/yr in tv revenue alone.

I don't really get the hate for Jim Carter. If he were on the board perhaps we wouldn't have regents questioning how we can afford to pay a coach $3.5M/yr when the sport he coaches brings in $40M+/yr in tv revenue alone.

I'm not entirely sure the board of regents is all anti-sports like folks think.

I think the larger issue is the AD & Co. need to communicate their vision / actions to the Regents considering all the disciplinary issues (basketball, football, wrestling) and the Pitino extension for sucking.... there's legit concern there.

Carter on the other hand has show a wonderful ability to mouth off publicly now and then, and not in a constructive way. That's really not a regent's job.... not helpful if a regent or a booster.

Because he is a complete dumbass. I would say it's due to concussion syndrome, but that's a stretch. He's already and embarrassment, why give him a bigger forum?

Prediction? Scarves. Or no scarves. Whichever.

Because he is a complete dumbass. I would say it's due to concussion syndrome, but that's a stretch. He's already and embarrassment, why give him a bigger forum?

Ok, got it. Thanks for articulating that. Now I understand why people hate him, much clearer now.

I would love it if he became a regent, would really be a step in the right direction in terms of gaining administrative support for the FB team .

I would love it if he became a regent, would really be a step in the right direction in terms of gaining administrative support for the FB team .

Yeah it would be just great to have a regent publicly slamming the athletic department when they do something he doesn't like.... lots of help there.

Named a regent so we gain administrative support for the FB team? Ya, that's why somebody should be in charge of a major research university of about 50,000 students. As far as support, they hired a new coach with a major increase in the budget and they seem to be building something next to Dinkytown that's connected to football. Not a regent's job to be an attention seeking buffoon.

Named a regent so we gain administrative support for the FB team? Ya, that's why somebody should be in charge of a major research university of about 50,000 students. ... Not a regent's job to be an attention seeking buffoon.

I think the bottom post answers the top.

I don't argue that the regents should understand the impact of athletics and the reality of the economics and cultural impact of the various sports. But on the same sense, there are way more important issues for the Regents to be considering.

Because you played football does not make you qualified to lead a University. He always comes across as just an arrogant jackwagon who thinks the way things were at the U when he was there is exactly what it should be today and only he and his teammates could provide any reasonable solution to any problem.

I understand there are no actual formal qualifications required, but on the same sense, neither are there for any cabinet position, but just look at how volatile those discussions have been! It's fair to expect someone would have some idea of what happens at a major University before being hired to be a regent...

As I understand it, the rationale for Carter as a regent is that he would not be a rubber stamp for Kaler. in fact, he might even challenge Kaler on some of the stuff that goes on at the U. I have no problem with that. Carter appears to have a reason for wanting to be a Regent. He wouldn't be just sitting there taking up space.

As I understand it, the rationale for Carter as a regent is that he would not be a rubber stamp for Kaler. in fact, he might even challenge Kaler on some of the stuff that goes on at the U. I have no problem with that. Carter appears to have a reason for wanting to be a Regent. He wouldn't be just sitting there taking up space.

The current BOR isn't a rubber stamp for Kaler either, so Carter brings nothing to the table.

....Carter appears to have a reason for wanting to be a Regent. He wouldn't be just sitting there taking up space.

My time at the U overlapped Carter's. I don't know him personally but have been aware of him since he was a highly rated high school fullback. Personally, I think he is most likely to sit there "fouling up" space. He is not the kind of guy the U needs as a regent. If he feels the need to be a gadfly, he should confine it to just the football team.

Ok, got it. Thanks for articulating that. Now I understand why people hate him, much clearer now.

Let me clear it up for you. The man is stupid, and that is a fact. He never went to class in HS, and in college, and graduated from both because of his dad's money. He inherited his dad's business and ran it into the ground. He is not a nice man, and has a long history of abusing women. Anything else?

I don't have any previous knowledge of the man other than he seems to be an advocate for Gopher sports and I don't have any heavy negative emotional ties to him like some appear to. That's why I was questioning why people hate him.

Maybe he is unfit to be a regent and maybe that is or isn't tied to character issues. I wasn't campaigning for him, just interested by the prospect of a regent to understands revenue sports.

Now, I also was not suggesting that revenue sports should be the main focus of regents or that they should only be there to support revenue sports. What I am saying is I believe any power 5 University needs a leadership chain (Regents, President, AD, etc.) that fully understands and supports revenue sports in order to maintain long term success.

From my limited perspective, I don't believe the U of MN has had this.

I don't have any previous knowledge of the man other than he seems to be an advocate for Gopher sports and I don't have any heavy negative emotional ties to him like some appear to. That's why I was questioning why people hate him.

Maybe he is unfit to be a regent and maybe that is or isn't tied to character issues. I wasn't campaigning for him, just interested by the prospect of a regent to understands revenue sports.

Now, I also was not suggesting that revenue sports should be the main focus of regents or that they should only be there to support revenue sports. What I am saying is I believe any power 5 University needs a leadership chain (Regents, President, AD, etc.) that fully understands and supports revenue sports in order to maintain long term success.

From my limited perspective, I don't believe the U of MN has had this.

Hope my post didn't come across as trying to jump down your throat or anything. I was trying to explain it a little more.

I didn't think you were necessarily proposing the revenue sports were that important, it's more that's always the first thing out of Carter's mouth when talking about being a regent. And that's another reason why so many people think he's not the right guy.

I would disagree a little with the last sentence. Dean Johnson has kind of taken the roll of defender of athletics on the board. Kaler has been very willing to invest in athletics. Bruininks was willing to charge students to raise money to build TCF Bank Stadium. Go back to Yudof, he was willing to let the department run in the red.

That said, I wouldn't have an issue if someone (maybe Carter), had some position where they, as an outsider, could comment on items that affect the athletic department. But I'm not sure Carter is even that guy. I can't imagine his response to spending money on Women's athletics...

Thanks, it's good to have a civil discussion with someone, I don't know everything about this so it's nice to learn.

I would disagree a little with the last sentence. Dean Johnson has kind of taken the roll of defender of athletics on the board. Kaler has been very willing to invest in athletics. Bruininks was willing to charge students to raise money to build TCF Bank Stadium. Go back to Yudof, he was willing to let the department run in the red.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here but I think it's safe to say the leadership chain hasn't done enough. Maybe that's changing (I hope it is) but the reality is this University has not had any significant long term success in Football or Basketball in 50 years.

In my opinion fans and citizens of the state have been lead to believe we just haven't found the right coach or a variety of other excuses. I personally believe the leadership chain hasn't prioritized success in revenue sports, whether consciously or unconsciously. Hence my interest in the regents.

Top Bottom